Author Topic: Conditions for a salute  (Read 1838 times)

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
Re: Conditions for a salute
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 04:25:39 AM »
I too salute to recognise a good fight.  Win or lose.  Also to say hello to players that I have known in the cartoon world for a while.

The respect thing is important to me because this game is hard and we all have different levels of skill yet we are thrown into the same space.  Few other pass times do this.  Usually there is a handicap system of some sort to try to level the field.

Sunbat I was the other 51 in your 262 fight.  It was a well fought fight and a lot of fun.

I fought a P47 today - wow he was good - very very good - took me a long time to get him but I did.  I saluted, he chose not to return that salute. It happens but the sentiment the salute was sent with was sincere.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 04:38:08 AM »
We all mass salute those who whine on 200 :rofl

I have never tuned into 200 because i would be banned from game after 15 minutes :rofl

I never salute Jokers jokers because they all smell of plop :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Coalcat1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 08:17:24 AM »
I'll <S> almost anyone I fight for over 1.5 min as long as I am in a decent mood. For example, I was in a 4v1 for almost 5min last night and still handed a <S> out to the 4 bish that were flying against me.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 09:06:54 AM »
It's a toon salute because it is a toon game.

The salutes we give in this game do not hold the weight of the salutes that have been given in the past to those who have bested them in a real life match where the most precious stakes are on the line --- life. Their life was more than thier own. Their life affected their mothers, fathers, spouses and children. Not only that, but they affected the considerable resources that a country sacrifices when a costly machine is lost in battle that would have otherwise advanced their cause.

Having said that, we play a game that makes sport of those stakes. We should all recognize that fact. Some don't and some do.  

When we choose to play this game we understand that and factor the fact out that many people lost their precious lives and countries lost their precious resources in a war that we facsimile. To us it is purely a game and when someone beats us at it they deserve recognition for their triumph over us. There is nothing wrong with sending a salute when that happens.

Tonight a guy shot me down in a pony while I was in a 262. It was a great shot. I saluted him and sent him complementary PM's. I didn't ponder the 262 pilots that died to P-51's in WW2. He simply got me in the game I was playing. He deserved the salute.

Well said!!

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 09:25:10 AM »
I was curious when and why certain players send a salute.

For me I will send a salute to a player if I enjoyed a fight, win or loose. I will also send a salute to a certain few players that I have known for a long time whenever I see them on as a sign of respect.

This exactly.......I usually wind up
Sending them a PM as well......something along the lines of nice shootin.....or nice flying.  Made more friends in game this way.
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2015, 11:07:40 AM »
I have never really thought of it, I usually don't salute people. . .unless I am saluted then I just type .rs

I never salute Coalcat as he is a sackgobbler  :noid
Top Gun

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2015, 11:39:13 AM »
I <S> in return if deserved, or as an acknowledgement when conversation is not needed or wanted.  Corky understands it.  Also, I spent too many years "saluting" real people, some of which I'd much rather have punched.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2015, 11:53:08 AM »
I have never really thought of it, I usually don't salute people. . .unless I am saluted then I just type .rs

I never salute Coalcat as he is a sackgobbler  :noid

:rofl
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2015, 01:23:31 PM »
I <S> in return if deserved, or as an acknowledgement when conversation is not needed or wanted.  Corky understands it.  Also, I spent too many years "saluting" real people, some of which I'd much rather have punched.

:rofl :aok :cheers:

Offline Bobcat81

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2015, 02:16:44 PM »
I have decided to make a point of more <S>'s and less trolling. Its hard to stop once I get going...  :neener:
-VIKING9- anti-horde
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - My Hero
Complacency is death.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2015, 02:30:51 PM »
:aok
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2015, 03:08:31 PM »
I send salutes to people I have had a good fight with, win or lose. There are times that I will and have saluted people who have scored high points in bombers or mad kills in high eny planes or just because I have respect for that player. So if I salute you its because I do have respect for you or for a major accomplishment.
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2015, 03:16:03 PM »
This exactly.......I usually wind up
Sending them a PM as well......something along the lines of nice shootin.....or nice flying.  Made more friends in game this way.

If I really enjoyed a fight, I'll usually send a salute and will end up discussing the fight with the other pilot afterwords. I try to do this on 200 (brings some positive discussion to the channel) but if they are not on 200 then I will PM them and discuss it. If I lost the fight then I will usually talk to the other pilot and try to figure out where I went wrong (maybe they saw something different on their end).

The only time I won't return a salute is if I feel the other guy is thumping his chest about killing me (ie: shooting me while I'm landing or taking off then saluting for it).

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2015, 03:51:57 PM »
I don't salute folks back when the salute me after shooting me down from a field gun.   Someone the other day got the best of me on a HO pass( I shot first)... he then saluted me.. I typed back that no salute needed for that.. and he thought I was mad.. lolz.. you don't salute HO's!!!   :devil

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2015, 03:59:34 PM »
I only salute, return salutes to those that have earned my respect. I get a kick out of the people that get upset when I don't automatically return a salute. If you're one of three+ on me, you're probably not getting a salute. :lol But if I can tell that you've put your all into the fight, win or lose, I will salute.
-AoM-