Author Topic: Conditions for a salute  (Read 1839 times)

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Conditions for a salute
« on: February 07, 2015, 09:26:00 PM »
I was curious when and why certain players send a salute.

For me I will send a salute to a player if I enjoyed a fight, win or loose. I will also send a salute to a certain few players that I have known for a long time whenever I see them on as a sign of respect.

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
Re: Conditions for a salute
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 09:48:37 PM »
I will send a salute to a player if I enjoyed a fight, win or loose.

that is my criteria as well
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 10:10:57 PM »
Ill return one when given, after a good fight, or when i see another person online i have respect for.  :salute
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 10:14:17 PM »
For me I will send a salute to a player if I enjoyed a fight, win or loose. I will also send a salute to a certain few players that I have known for a long time whenever I see them on as a sign of respect.
Same here. 
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 10:37:12 PM »
To be honest I've always felt like it was a bit silly since none of us are really dying.  Feels like I'm taking it too serious when the salutes fly.

But that's just me.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 11:12:47 PM »
To be honest I've always felt like it was a bit silly since none of us are really dying.  Feels like I'm taking it too serious when the salutes fly.

But that's just me.
I know how you feel on that aspect....when i first joined i felt like that, but now i just understand its a game and it really is not the real thing. More of a "you have my respect" type of deal.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 11:31:36 PM »

But that's just me.

<S> Corky  :D
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 11:59:27 PM »
I always thought <S> meant "go s*** in a hat"?!

I salute players that I know, that I have a good fight, and even if I get picked or HO'd will give them one
so as to stroke their ego a little. its just a game, I don't take it seriously and I still have a blast playing.
Saluting is just part of the fun.

Respect is Earned, not given. this applies to life too!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 12:02:02 AM by captain1ma »

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 12:12:09 AM »

But that's just me.

It's a toon salute because it is a toon game.

The salutes we give in this game do not hold the weight of the salutes that have been given in the past to those who have bested them in a real life match where the most precious stakes are on the line --- life. Their life was more than thier own. Their life affected their mothers, fathers, spouses and children. Not only that, but they affected the considerable resources that a country sacrifices when a costly machine is lost in battle that would have otherwise advanced their cause.

Having said that, we play a game that makes sport of those stakes. We should all recognize that fact. Some don't and some do.  

When we choose to play this game we understand that and factor the fact out that many people lost their precious lives and countries lost their precious resources in a war that we facsimile. To us it is purely a game and when someone beats us at it they deserve recognition for their triumph over us. There is nothing wrong with sending a salute when that happens.

Tonight a guy shot me down in a pony while I was in a 262. It was a great shot. I saluted him and sent him complementary PM's. I didn't ponder the 262 pilots that died to P-51's in WW2. He simply got me in the game I was playing. He deserved the salute.
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 12:57:56 AM »
It's a toon salute because it is a toon game.

The salutes we give in this game do not hold the weight of the salutes that have been given in the past to those who have bested them in a real life match where the most precious stakes are on the line --- life. Their life was more than thier own. Their life affected their mothers, fathers, spouses and children. Not only that, but they affected the considerable resources that a country sacrifices when a costly machine is lost in battle that would have otherwise advanced their cause.

Having said that, we play a game that makes sport of those stakes. We should all recognize that fact. Some don't and some do.  

When we choose to play this game we understand that and factor the fact out that many people lost their precious lives and countries lost their precious resources in a war that we facsimile. To us it is purely a game and when someone beats us at it they deserve recognition for their triumph over us. There is nothing wrong with sending a salute when that happens.

Tonight a guy shot me down in a pony while I was in a 262. It was a great shot. I saluted him and sent him complementary PM's. I didn't ponder the 262 pilots that died to P-51's in WW2. He simply got me in the game I was playing. He deserved the salute.

This should be stickied, in my opinion.    Good post Sun.   :salute
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 01:01:10 AM »
I'm not against a salute, I just tend to say nice flying or good fight.  I do my best to treat anyone in game with respect as that's what I'd hope for in return. 

It's the same as when folks give themselves ranks in game.  Lt. Col. Cartoon flyer just doesn't work for me.    Again just me, and not telling anyone else how to feel about it.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 01:11:34 AM »
See Rule #4

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 01:15:35 AM »
This guy has a GIF for EVERY situation  :lol
Top Gun

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 03:42:09 AM »
Reading some comments on this thread make me feel like I've been saluting people for wrong reasons. Sorry for that, no offense intended.

I often salute people who kill me, they have proved to be more skillful than me (which isn't much, I must say). Also I salute those I manage to kill in a fair fight. Typing .s is easier than trying to figure out whether the opponent reads channel 200 or not, or sending a PM just for saying "nice flying". I didn't know "salute" should only be used in highly formal and dignified occasions - such as on the GIF above.

So if you get a salute from me, it's just my way to say I've noticed that there's been some kind of interaction between us.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Bobcat81

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 04:06:19 AM »
-VIKING9- anti-horde
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - My Hero
Complacency is death.