Author Topic: Jug Instructions  (Read 10922 times)

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
Jug Instructions
« on: February 10, 2015, 08:14:35 AM »
I've been flying the D 40 this past sim and doing well with it. I'd like to learn more about flying it and other jug models. Any advice from jug experts? For one thing, I'd like to know some good defensive strategies.  I've found that the flat scissors can work well, but are there any other ideas for staying ssfe?

One last thing:  I've got convergence set at 650 on the D 40, but I find when using that setting in the M and N models I tend to miss more shots.  Are the wings wider on those models?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 08:25:27 AM by Muzzy »

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Re: Jug Instructions
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 08:32:52 AM »
You are on to something already.  The P-47 is well suited to  Flat and rolling scissors when on the defensive.  Constant use of throttle, manual trim, and flaps help get the plane around quicker.  Because the jug builds energy slowly compared to what you find in the MA, keeping the nose down in a close quarters battle is recommended by me.  Regain your energy when you get a little separation.

YMMV, but I like to keep convergence at 300 yards.  I rarely fire at anything over 400 yards anyway and like what 8 fifties do at convergence.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 10:06:59 AM »
The N has a larger wingspan. The M has the standard wing. You can use the .target command and set the target to 10 yards to compare differences in gun location between fighters.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 12:32:10 PM »
It's a plane that you mostly want to fly high with or at least compensate that with E or (smash as they call it these days) while attacking or flying lower than 10k.
The plane can be real sluggish flying low if you don't not have the smash. It is a decent E fighter and has a good average speed, but the exceleration limits the abilities while flying low.

In rides like the D40-N-M they are planes you don't necessarily want to end up low n slow on the deck with while there are a bunch of con's around. It will be an easy pick all the way around. Even if the p47 tries defensive tactics, fighting multiple con's or even planes that can turn better than a Yak will out perform these types of 47s no matter how hard you try against players that know what they are doing. These p47s should stay fast or high at all times while flying around 3 or more con's. You should be BnZing planes while rarely attempting ropes if multiple con's are around you, (not a rope style plane), this plane doesn't gain E quickly without Alt so burning E with a rope is risky if other planes are on the way to engage you. Which can make for an easy gang.( Ei, it is a dive, shoot, extend, then climb, type of plane. ) once you get caught by 2 or more planes with E. The fight becomes almost unwinnable.
These planes cannot out turn any plane that can turn better than a yak ( if the pilot know what he's doing).

The D11 is the "turn fighter" if you will of the group. This plane can outurn quite a bit of planes if flown correctly. Although the biggest weakness is speed, excel, and climb. So you really need to be high or fast around multiple con's or else you will get ganged quickly. In a 1v1 situation you can out turn most planes but it is a tough match Vs planes that are out E flying it. You have to be a lot more concentrated on SA while flying a D11 because of how slow the plane is compared to the late war planes.

Flying any P47 around multiple con's who have alt or E advantage is dangerous. This plane is NOT A BASE DEFEDING TYPE PLANE, unless you up from another base and get Alt first. The best time to fly this plane is when you are attacking an enemy base and the con's around you are below 8k. You should be at least 15k when entering into enemy territory.

As far as "defensive" flying goes. Your best bet is to perform a barrel roll defense at high speeds. The 47 works wonders at high speeds compared to many others. So if you have a con jumping your 6 with more E, I highly recommend going into a nose dive first to gain speed, as the enemy plane is following, you start the nose down turn and get them to blackout while chasing you for a leadshot. At this point you can pull a successfully Barrel roll defense at higher speeds and maybe pull around on their 6 or at least possibly get a quick snap shot.
I always tell people who get into a rolling scissors with a p47 to completely roll around all the way first (to keep the nose up) and then point the nose in for a shot. In a plane like the 109s, you can get away with not rolling around all the way and still making a shot, or being able to pull up and around quickly. In a p47 if you try this, the enemy with be able to out roll you because of how heavy the p47 feels at low speeds while your nose is facing down toward the enemy,  so If you missed the quick snap shot you are doomed and better not try to pull up and do another roll, just keep going nose down as he rolls around you, you may be able to extend away.
. If you get the roll all the way around first, you will have a much better time in the rolling scissors because you will keep the nose up (which is very important turning fighting in this plane. Remember though. The p47 40-m-N do not perform well at really slow speeds. So you will NOT out roll any good pilot in a plane that can turn better than a yak. You have turn the fight from defense to offense very quickly while the P47 has speed or else it will be tougher and tougher to win the fight as you get slower and slower in the rolling scissors. Vs a plane like the 109, once the P47 gets slow in the roll it is game over.

The D11 is much of the same in fights but can turn a lot better at lower speeds. Yet the performance of the plane is why it is difficult to fly with multiple con's around.

Stay fast my friend.

<S>

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 12:41:05 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 01:03:32 PM »
Great post by violator, and need I mention to you that you need to be extremely cautious of being caught in a vertical reversal, as slowing down hinders your maneuverability, especially if you do it to stay on the enemy's six. For a jug these types of reversals are deadly because slowing down of course causes you to slowly lose the advantage, and if you miss you may get roped, if it's up close the same thing could happen.

The bad thing as well, of course, is the overshoot, if you keep throttle firewalled. So if you notice a con setting you up for this just break away and renew the attack.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 01:36:54 PM »
Muzzy,

As an addendum, I suggest you contact some people that know the P-47 in and out for some one on one discussions. LilMak and Frenchy know the P-47 better than anyone else in the game and are always willing to share their time and knowledge.

ammo

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 01:48:28 PM »
I set the two inner guns to 325 and the two outer guns to 300  A bit different than most.

The 47M with 50% fuel will serve you well in a base defense if the the base cap isn't tight.   If it is tight the old KI 83 will fix that then back to the 47.

You can kill three hangers with two P47-D40s.  It is the only fighter that can do that if I remember right.

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 01:57:05 PM »
I sometimes think I'm the only one that likes the D-25
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 02:03:26 PM »
^ you are..

It just doesn't really do anything that stands out to me, compared to the other models they at least have something to differentiate them with performance. The 25 is like a heavier and faster D11 that can't turn as well. It is a fat cow lol
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 02:06:05 PM »

You're not the only one that likes the D-25.  Maybe you can do a "keel the crab" thing with D-25s

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 03:01:50 PM »
^ you are..

It just doesn't really do anything that stands out to me, compared to the other models they at least have something to differentiate them with performance. The 25 is like a heavier and faster D11 that can't turn as well. It is a fat cow lol

The D11 is faster than the D25.

D25 has a better powerloading and is supposed to have more armor.
See Rule #4

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 03:29:05 PM »
The D11 is faster than the D25.

D25 has a better powerloading and is supposed to have more armor.

D11 is faster under 10K without WEP, yes.  Makes sense, the razorback has a cleaner airframe

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 03:30:42 PM »

I like the D25 more than the D40. It's probably my favorite of the Jugs, though it's pretty close between the D25, D11, and N. I dont know why I like it so much, I just do. Maybe the slightly higher ENY has something to do with it?

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 03:56:22 PM »
Well thus far the D40 is working well for me. I've tried the M and N models but I have less success in them, I think in part due to the slightly different convergence.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 04:51:13 PM »
Lepape was the jug master...bar none.

find his vids. :aok