Author Topic: Jug Instructions  (Read 10659 times)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Re: Jug Instructions
« Reply #180 on: February 26, 2015, 08:37:42 AM »
This will sound silly to some.  Player1 is in a historical squad (56 FG) and they never flew the D40.  I am guessing his reasons are similar to mine for preferring the D25 to the D40.  I guess we all get our enjoyment from AH in different ways :airplane:
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #181 on: February 26, 2015, 09:51:15 AM »
Why the D25 over the D40?

This will sound silly to some.  Player1 is in a historical squad (56 FG) and they never flew the D40.  I am guessing his reasons are similar to mine for preferring the D25 to the D40.  I guess we all get our enjoyment from AH in different ways :airplane:

I just don't like the feel of the D-40. When I fly it, even clean and at 25% fuel, it feels very heavy. It feels like I'm fighting with it just to make it go where I want. The D-40 is better in the vertical though.

And yes, being in a historic squad plays into it a little bit.

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
« Reply #182 on: March 01, 2015, 12:04:53 PM »
d11-  Turns well but bad climb rate/cock pit
d25/d40: Couple of my favs.  I have  tested them against each other in the DA.  If there is a difference in a all out fight between the two I sure couldn't see it.  I consider them the same.
N Model:  My FAV if I think IM going to need a bit more HP.
M:  It's fast but it has a weird stall in Rolling Scissors that is a pain. 

With 47's your strengths are it's weight, rudder and guns.  Practice gunnery a lot.  Gunnery is key, (as it is in any plane.)  The jug can burn E probably faster than any fighter.  So, you slow down let them overshoot and don't miss. Another thing study plane performance charts.  It's crucial to know when outnumbered who is your greatest threat. So if there are say an la7, an a6m, and a  spit who have equal  energy you go for the la7 first, then spit, then a6m.  Also try to pay very close attention to closure rates to your bogey.  I played around with convergence for a long time before I was satisfied with around 300 yards

There are a lot of little things to learn that will give you a higher success rate in any plane.  Like lets say rolling scissor fighting a typhy.  They have a prop (if I remember correctly) that spins opposite direction as a 47. And they have terrible torque.  So if they are on your 6 you would initiate the rolling scissors to the direction that would give them fits.  109's you can use your dive and high speed maneuvering.  to your advantage.  So really just practice man :)