Author Topic: Terrain Editor  (Read 24135 times)

Offline 715

• Silver Member
Re: Terrain Editor
« Reply #210 on: November 01, 2015, 01:17:53 AM »
I'm pretty sure GIMP doesn't do 16-bit color yet (it's coming) but those other two mentioned do (cinepaint and Krita).  Links to those are inside the link I listed.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #211 on: November 01, 2015, 05:06:13 AM »
Sorry, was really tired last night and what you wrote about Gimp didn't register properly. I tried it anyway and it came up with "unsupported file format". The latest version of PSP was no different to the old one. It sort of loads the file, but in a corrupted fashion. I didn't try Cinepix because I got a dodgy website warning when I tried to download it.

Krita however looks promising. It does not recognise the RAW format directly but I managed to load, edit and save the heightmap with a bit of mucking about. In case anyone else wants to try it here is the procedure:

To load the height file into Krita hit "File/Open" and navigate to the working folder. Then change the "All supported formats" filter to "All files", click on your height map file and hit "Open". This brings up a "Choose Filter" window with a list of formats. In this list select "r16 heightmap" and hit "OK". This brings up a "Heightmap Import Options" window, set the size to "4096" and the button to "PC" and hit "OK".

Save the file as an r16 heightmap. This gives the file an "r16" suffix. Once this is edited manually to "raw" the TE loads the file successfully as a signed height map.

The only slight issue with the program is that it displays the file rotated 90 degrees to the right. This is no big deal though as it only takes a few seconds to rotate it left for editing and then back again before saving.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #212 on: November 01, 2015, 12:09:41 PM »
I'm surprised it handles signed 16-bit.  I would have thought you'd have to work with offset unsigned .raw files (where 32,768 is 0 ft, or however AH3 handles unsigned).

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #213 on: November 01, 2015, 02:14:41 PM »
The default height map generated by the TE has white as 0 feet water and black as 0 feet land, with shades of dark and light grey as higher land and deeper water respectively. It also generates a second height map with black representing a minimum altitude of -1000 feet. I guess that when re-importing into the TE signed is used for the first type and unsigned for the second.

My assumption has been the altitude range is going to be -1,000 feet to +31,768 feet although I am not entirely sure as the displayed grey values used in the height files appear to be bugged currently. So I decided to do a test in the TE to find the maximum altitude of terrain that could be set with the "Set Alt" button. This gave some strange results when I set a terrain altitude of 32,768 feet or more. Instead of very high land the TE generates visually what looks like 1,000 feet deep ocean floor but that shows a Y value of 0 in the position box.

Thanks again for your software suggestions 715, I'd have never found Krita by myself.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 03:04:50 PM by Greebo »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #214 on: November 01, 2015, 06:27:28 PM »
32767  is max siged 16 bit value which is0111111111111111 binary

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #215 on: November 02, 2015, 08:42:16 AM »
Sorry for the bad information on the u1000heightmap.raw file. It also is functional.

It simply has -1000 feet elevation as zero. So after loading the u1000 file (ImPort unsigned under the File menu) it subtracts 1000 feet from the elevation.

You can use either one as you wish, if the editor you are using does not support signed.

But I am also confuse , greebo was saying it worked in the current release for him to edit the raw height maps.

The format is exactly the same except 8 verts per mile instead of 2. And signed (which can be taken care of with the u1000 file).

HiTech

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #216 on: November 02, 2015, 10:25:26 AM »
Maths isn't my strong point as you can probably tell. I've been approaching this from an art POV and just been trying to figure out what shade of grey to paint on the map to get a given altitude. The problem has been that I have been trying to do it with programs that only let me paint in 8-bit values and this left me confused. Photoshop Elements let me view the file but wanted it changed to 8-bit for editing.

Now that I've got Krita I have something that lets me edit the file in 16-bit and I can actually make some progress. Currently I have imported a TE height map into Krita, painted a hill onto it, saved it and re-imported it back to the TE complete with new hill. I have also found a calculator application on the internet that converts decimal values into signed 16-bit values so I ought to be able to use those values to paint my terrain.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 10:29:55 AM by Greebo »

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #217 on: November 02, 2015, 01:52:59 PM »
You could use the u1000heightmap.raw (unsigned) and just make sure to stay above 3E8 hex for the shade value for land.  (3E8 will map to 0 feet.)  Maybe you could paint the whole image that value of very dark grey (3E8) and then use "make darker" brushes to make water and "lighten" brushes to make land.

Or you could use the signed heightmap.raw and keep everything below 7FFF (32767 ft), thereby avoiding hex values that the TE will interpret as negative when using signed import.  Then you could paint the water (negative altitudes) after importing back into the TE.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #218 on: November 02, 2015, 05:34:04 PM »
The last couple pages of this thread has made my brain short circuit. :O
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #219 on: November 02, 2015, 05:57:15 PM »
Like Oddball said - - " I don't work on em, I just ride em man! Woofwoofwoof!"

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline 68falcon

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #220 on: November 02, 2015, 05:59:28 PM »

+1
Commanding Officer
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the Reaper no more. Fear the Lancers

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #221 on: November 02, 2015, 06:34:38 PM »
Are we able to manipulate the size and shape of small mounds where we can set the pitch angle and length of run up different faces of the mound? Or is that something you build as a custom object and apply it to a terrain?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #222 on: November 03, 2015, 04:47:53 AM »
In the TE there is a tool which lets you build a circular mound. You set the brush size and a circle of that diameter appears on the terrain window to allow you to place it. There is also a setting box to alter the mound's height. There is no setting for approach angle but you should be able to figure that from the diameter and height.

Sorry about all the technical stuff on the last couple of pages. I doubt many terrain builders will get into editing the height map manually but if anyone's interested I can post a tutorial on how to do it once I am sure I have figured it out correctly.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #223 on: November 03, 2015, 09:57:07 AM »
In the TE there is a tool which lets you build a circular mound. You set the brush size and a circle of that diameter appears on the terrain window to allow you to place it. There is also a setting box to alter the mound's height. There is no setting for approach angle but you should be able to figure that from the diameter and height.

Sorry about all the technical stuff on the last couple of pages. I doubt many terrain builders will get into editing the height map manually but if anyone's interested I can post a tutorial on how to do it once I am sure I have figured it out correctly.

You can also use the plow tool. Set the height you wish at both ends, then plow between will make an even ramp between them.

HiTech

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #224 on: November 04, 2015, 01:19:10 PM »
Thank you both.

I'm building an offline tool for myself using terrain features as a taxi up hardstand to test convergences. I wish I knew how to modify the new ammo bunkers instead because they have flat faces and a flat top, then drop them in place. Depending on the fighter, you need a different angled slope to ease the wheels down and not break the fuselage or wings on radiators or wheel doors. The horizontal line on the target lines up with the aircraft center line once you level the aircraft.

Can you simply place a tank on a terrain as an inanimate object for ranging target offline to learn your tank sights against? Is there a way to define linear distance on the terrain in 1000yd units? I want to set them every 1000 out to 7000. Say three tanks at each point, frontal, side and off angled.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.