Author Topic: sound card?  (Read 3394 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
sound card?
« on: March 12, 2015, 08:32:50 AM »
Thinking about getting a sound card and forgoing the onboard sound.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any input.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
Re: sound card?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 09:03:28 AM »
I have the Creative SB 7.1 titanium in one of my rigs and I an looking at getting one of these for my second rig.. I am happy with the SB and the sound quality is awesome and their support is above reproach.

http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-

LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 12:06:49 PM »
I use Sound Blaster ZxR now after testing just about everything else. I would recommend the Zx for gaming. The audio control module acts as a microphone pickup, can patch to an external mixer or what have you, and the software can adjust for background noise of your environment.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 01:52:05 PM »
Challenge this is the one you are talking about correct???

(it was supposed to be my original post)

http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-zx
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 04:24:57 PM »
Don't mean to hijack but I was also thinking of getting a sound card.... I have a Logitech G35 surround sound headset.  Does that take on the sound processing instead of a sound card?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 07:44:17 PM »
I have the Zx and used the module.   I now use this card with my ROCCAT Kave 5.1.    I recommend the card.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 08:47:20 PM »
+3 for the SB Z series........I also have the Zx card & use the module along w/ my Senneheiser 4GAME ZERO headset.

:aok  :salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 09:00:13 PM »

Yes. It's probably the best card for AH IMO.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 11:08:56 PM »

that's the one I have lawn,  the sound is awesome. should have never replaced it with the one I have now. 

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 02:18:23 AM »
It would be interesting to compare what benefit (if any) a separate sound card would provide against a modern on-board sound solution like found in my budget build:

The sound blaster site claimed '32.5 times better snr compared to motherboard audio' but in reality the zx has a SNR of 116db and this motherboard audio has a SNR of 115db.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 02:22:05 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 03:38:32 AM »
It would be interesting to compare what benefit (if any) a separate sound card would provide against a modern on-board sound solution like found in my budget build:

(Image removed from quote.)

The sound blaster site claimed '32.5 times better snr compared to motherboard audio' but in reality the zx has a SNR of 116db and this motherboard audio has a SNR of 115db.

Funny that they don't mention frequency range at all nor have you considered the offloading of audio processing from the CPU.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 03:40:20 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 04:48:34 AM »
Funny that they don't mention frequency range at all nor have you considered the offloading of audio processing from the CPU.

The Asus sound cards are extremely high quality, no need to mention frequency ranges. It's a given that they meet the specs.

Current CPUs laugh at audio loads. That may have been a concern 10 years ago.

Here's a measured response:

« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 04:50:14 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 12:08:19 PM »
Anyone have a minute to check this one out, sorry im at the office, supposed to be a gem find in the sub human gamer circles $35. at amazon

Asus Xonar DG

Seperate headphone amp
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 12:35:34 PM »
Ripley, you already lost this argument in a thread that went like six pages Onboard audio of any kind is the last place you want to go, and it does not matter how fast the CPU is.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 12:45:43 PM »
The Asus sound cards are extremely high quality, no need to mention frequency ranges. It's a given that they meet the specs.

Asus uses C-Media sound chips.  They do not design their own chips.  C-Media may produce a version of their product for Asus exclusivley, but they are C-Media devices.

Current CPUs laugh at audio loads. That may have been a concern 10 years ago.

That statement does not counter the fact that onboard sound devices, sharing the memory bus, require more CPU time (running time, and dead time due to locking the bus), and cannot run in parallel to the CPU like a dedicated sound card, in a separate bus can.

As to how much an impact that is will vary from application to application.  In a DAW environment where you are sampling and mixing at 24 bit/192Khz, you will notice the difference, as an example.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com