Author Topic: AH book club  (Read 7014 times)

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
Re: AH book club
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2015, 04:44:58 PM »
Interesting.  Give some examples of recent investment capital being frowned upon that wasn't requested by a Southern developer or Southern sponsor please.  I would love to see the actual evidence of this so many years post-war.

WAPOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as in you... :ahand

I can just hear it now...

(Business Owner)"We don't want no money invested in our business from north of the Mason-Dixon line.

(CFO) " Where is that line?"
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 04:47:23 PM by Zoney »
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2015, 07:29:34 PM »
I described a distrust of motive in the minds of some southerners that continues today.  It is a perception, not a lawsuit or a headline in the WSJ.  I thought I made that very clear.  The example that I was responding to, "thats where you yankees..." also depicted an emotional situation based on  perceptions of some southerners.

Here's one you can ponder however...http://amarillo.com/stories/2004/07/22/bus_dropbar.shtml#.VTBGL5MhN6I

This seems a small thing, unless you are Mr. Bode or his patrons in LaVernia, Texas, but when you lay it alongside the wisps of collective memory of the Restoration it can rankle some folks.  Like me.

There's no need to correct my geography.   Texas Roadhouse is a Kentucky-based brand, but it's a helluva lot closer to Cincinnati than it is to Austin.  The Texas Roadhouse restaurant on Hwy 281 North in my hometown folded.  I guess they suck.  Nobody I know ever bothered to go there.   ;)

I know many people in Texas and in North Carolina who prefer to do business with local financial institutions rather than 'Yankee Banks' who have tarnished their reputations through manipulation and greed in the last 10 years (federal bailouts?).   These are the same banks that peddle credit cards to unemployed underclassmen even on the sacred ground in Norman and at other universities across the south.  If that isn't a modern manifestation of exploitation I don't know what would pass muster.

My point was about some lingering attitudes of the 'little guys' I know and was not intended to hurt feelings.  Especially the feelings of Zoney who's known to be sensitive and it seems his cartoon self-depiction is weeping for some reason. 

I concede only that it was stupid of me to comment on this BBS.

:salute 

George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline JVboob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2015, 02:01:44 AM »
MERCA!!!!!

Off topic of the book club now...this WAS an interesting thread. now its a different thread :(
"Sighhhhhhhhhh, office closed do to ice for a day, And I miss a thread like this.."HiTech
Armed N Hammered 2002-2003
JG44 Night Hawks/JV44 Butcher Birds 2003-2009
49th Fighter Group fightn' 49ers Feb2012-present
138th FW Tulsa, OK 2009-2015

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: April 17, 2015, 07:58:11 AM »
the wisps of collective memory of the Restoration

And this, my friend Ratsy, is where I find I have missed the train.  You have no memory of Reconstruction (unless you're really talking about the Restoration, and I GUARANTEE you have no memory of that!).  I venture to guess that no one you know has memory of Reconstruction, because Reconstruction ended long before anyone alive today was born.  So the "collective memory" is based on things long gone.  Getting angry, or sad, or even happy, about things that happened before you were born is just...so...European....

- oldman

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #109 on: April 17, 2015, 08:27:50 AM »
Just started this book....

http://www.amazon.com/Kaia-Heroine-1944-Warsaw-Rising/dp/0739190539/ref=sr_1_16?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1429276393&sr=1-16&keywords=kaia

I find it very interesting because it's not from the perspective from a trained solder.  So far, it's a very easy read and should have it done by the weekend. 

I have also just finished The Eagle Unbowed by Halik Kochanski.  This was a fantastic book!  I cannot begin to describe the volumes of information that the history books got wrong.  If a person of Polish descent or anyone interested in the history of Poland during WW2, ever wanted to read a single book, this would be their "go to" book.  Can be a little tough on some parts (I struggled with the politics during my reading), but still worth the time.

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Unbowed-Poland-Poles-Second/dp/0674284003/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1429276521&sr=1-1&keywords=the+eagle+unbowed

I have a few more on my list this summer.  Will post more when I get to them.

Obie

I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #110 on: April 17, 2015, 01:39:21 PM »
I described a distrust of motive in the minds of some southerners that continues today.  It is a perception, not a lawsuit or a headline in the WSJ.  I thought I made that very clear.  The example that I was responding to, "thats where you yankees..." also depicted an emotional situation based on  perceptions of some southerners.

Here's one you can ponder however...http://amarillo.com/stories/2004/07/22/bus_dropbar.shtml#.VTBGL5MhN6I

This seems a small thing, unless you are Mr. Bode or his patrons in LaVernia, Texas, but when you lay it alongside the wisps of collective memory of the Restoration it can rankle some folks.  Like me.

There's no need to correct my geography.   Texas Roadhouse is a Kentucky-based brand, but it's a helluva lot closer to Cincinnati than it is to Austin.  The Texas Roadhouse restaurant on Hwy 281 North in my hometown folded.  I guess they suck.  Nobody I know ever bothered to go there.   ;)

I know many people in Texas and in North Carolina who prefer to do business with local financial institutions rather than 'Yankee Banks' who have tarnished their reputations through manipulation and greed in the last 10 years (federal bailouts?).   These are the same banks that peddle credit cards to unemployed underclassmen even on the sacred ground in Norman and at other universities across the south.  If that isn't a modern manifestation of exploitation I don't know what would pass muster.

My point was about some lingering attitudes of the 'little guys' I know and was not intended to hurt feelings.  Especially the feelings of Zoney who's known to be sensitive and it seems his cartoon self-depiction is weeping for some reason. 

I concede only that it was stupid of me to comment on this BBS.

:salute

And my point is that people who hold 120 year grudge and aren't actually 120 years old need more things to occupy their time. 

1.  Kentucky doesn't know as much about steaks as Texas...period.
2.  There are no Yankee banks.  Anyone with any knowledge of banking and finance know that all of the large banks are conglomerations of buyouts and takeovers that involve northern and southern banks 50 times over.
3.  Local banking vs big banking is not a southern thing.  It's a small-town thing.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #111 on: April 17, 2015, 01:44:10 PM »

WAPOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as in you... :ahand

I can just hear it now...

(Business Owner)"We don't want no money invested in our business from north of the Mason-Dixon Line unless our loan admin went to Miss State!!!

(CFO) Hey, I went to South Carolina for undergrad and got a Citibank visa to pay for mah MBA at Clemson.  Will that work????  Yeehaww
Fixed
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2015, 10:41:11 AM »
Just picked up another book about the Polish Cavalry in WW2.  Last of the War Horses by General K.S. Rudnicki.  It looks interesting and I'm looking forward to this one.

http://www.derekcrowe.com/post.aspx?id=79

obie
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2015, 03:55:10 PM »
I have not seen these books mentioned.

Brute Force: Allied Strategy and Tactics in the Second World War
Author is John Ellis

For anyone that has any questions about how much chance the Axis ever had in that war once the allies were willing to fight.

And
The First Team: Pacific Naval Air Combat from Pearl Harbor to Midway
The First Team and the Guadalcanal Campaign: Naval Fighter Combat from August to November 1942
Both by John Lundstrom.

Amazing these books have not been listed, maybe the best books about WW2 air combat.  And a very poorly understood component of it.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2015, 09:55:32 PM »
Good lord, it's Pongo!  Where you been, dude?

- oldman

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2015, 10:26:54 PM »
I'll 2nd the recommendation of "Nanette", my favorite WW2 book by far.

I liked that one, too.  It's not my favorite WWII book, but a great one, with some amazing writing in it at times, such as this about New Guinea:

"The heat solid and palpable, smells rich enough to grow crops, the colors so sharp and pure they make your eyes wince. The sun has an undiffused brilliance and when it touches something green, like a leaf, it isn't your everyday humdrum leaf-green. It's nature's finest G*dd*mn green and it socks you right in the eyeball."

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2015, 10:34:24 PM »
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this one yet or not:

"With the Old Breed," by Sledge

It is so good that, if a person were to read only one war book in his entire life, I'd recommend that to be the one.

Offline JVboob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #117 on: June 22, 2015, 01:09:45 AM »
I have with the old breed. I thought I had mentioned it  :huh
but in any case Ill second your reference!

Roll me over is a good one too.
"Sighhhhhhhhhh, office closed do to ice for a day, And I miss a thread like this.."HiTech
Armed N Hammered 2002-2003
JG44 Night Hawks/JV44 Butcher Birds 2003-2009
49th Fighter Group fightn' 49ers Feb2012-present
138th FW Tulsa, OK 2009-2015