Author Topic: Fester map- fix it, or take it out of rotation,plz  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Fester map- fix it, or take it out of rotation,plz
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 10:19:36 AM »
Even with the dar issues, it's easy to see enemy coming to hit strats and hq if you are actually watching.

I understand the guys who only up once a dar bar is in the same sector as a strat will have troubles with a spotty dar but it's easy to watch a dar bar slowly work it's way over the course of 1.3 hours from a rear enemy field to your strats.

So what if the dar bar disappears near the strats, you just have to use some simple deductive reasoning that the planes that have been heading to your strats for the last hour are probably still there and still at 30,000 feet.

If your "strat defense" consists of only upping after dar is within 2 sectors of your strat, you have failed.

Not exactly relevant, my brother.

If you want to attract players and keep the game alive, allowing this insane dar griefing HQ model to continue is not the way to do it.   

Fester's map is a good one that suffers from the same plague as all the other maps...   Until HTC fixes this problem then we will continue to see threads like this that miss the point.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline salt101

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 11:11:13 AM »
My favorite map in rotation. Just need to do something about the HQ situation, but that applies to all maps.
Salt,
The three most dangerous vehicles in AH are the C47, M3 and LVT

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 12:46:50 PM »
what warp9ng are you talking about? this is my net 1 min ago; show me yours;

http://www.speedtest.net/
I'm not talking about your connection...

Both of our connections are fine I never assumed otherwise. I know how to fix the problem on my end it's real easy
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline MrGeezer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 01:06:07 PM »
Nothing personal with you Fester,  you know I always admire your skills and contribution on this game;
 but I'm paying for this game for over 10 years to have fun; I"m off this weekend want to have fun; there's nothing fun on a map stupid designed; impossible to defend and resup.  HQ without radar, and the radar bug was not fixed also; common I'm paying healthy $$$ , we need healthy, bugs free map;

AMEN!

(How this bug ridden mess of a map ever got approved is inconceivable.)
Killing Virtual Bad Guys Since 1995  Disabled, retired.

"Posting anything, which says anything positive about anyone, on our board, will always turn into a derogatory mess. It should be a forum posting rule."  Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 01:12:29 PM »
Great GV map, but a challenged air-to-air map. Once a couple of key airfields get taken, it's a very long fight to get to an enemy airfield. The air-to-air action ends up very thin.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 02:31:12 PM »
A couple points here...

I'm not sure whether the color of the radar bars is a Fester or HTC issue, but all you have to know is the enemy dar bar appears one pixel row lower on the map than the friendly bar, which is always on top, so as long as you know this the color really isn't an issue.

The layout of the bases is in my opinion as close to fantastic as we have had. Fester used a large map grid, but then essentially made it a medium sized playable map, using base layouts to create fronts that funnel players into fights. Most large maps have a layout where there are many options on where to take the fight as fields are numerous and there's no natural choke point. This makes player interaction happen less, and what you get is a cat chasing its tail effect on the map where each side will hit the other's undefended bases as it's easier to gain real estate, especially with lower arena numbers, by hitting the enemy where they aren't.

While I would almost always support more choice as opposed to less, there is a need for structure to promote player interaction and combat. Fester's map layout achieves this, and does it quite well. Is it perfect? Of course not, but it's far better than the majority of the alternative maps we have in creating good gameplay conditions. Ask the Euro's what it's like to play at off peak times on other large maps where milking is the norm... Fun isn't it? :confused:

I get why some may not like it, but I didn't subscribe to the game to try to minimize the time I have fighting other human opponents in an awesome massively multiplayer game. I joined up to maximize it, and hence the fun I would have.

Offline BushLT1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2015, 02:35:14 PM »
It's a hq problem.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 03:39:17 PM »
My only issue is the way the cv's spawn.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2015, 03:41:19 PM »
fights are teh l33t on the new fester map... I likey!!!!

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2015, 03:56:09 PM »
A couple points here...

I'm not sure whether the color of the radar bars is a Fester or HTC issue, but all you have to know is the enemy dar bar appears one pixel row lower on the map than the friendly bar, which is always on top, so as long as you know this the color really isn't an issue.

The layout of the bases is in my opinion as close to fantastic as we have had. Fester used a large map grid, but then essentially made it a medium sized playable map, using base layouts to create fronts that funnel players into fights. Most large maps have a layout where there are many options on where to take the fight as fields are numerous and there's no natural choke point. This makes player interaction happen less, and what you get is a cat chasing its tail effect on the map where each side will hit the other's undefended bases as it's easier to gain real estate, especially with lower arena numbers, by hitting the enemy where they aren't.

While I would almost always support more choice as opposed to less, there is a need for structure to promote player interaction and combat. Fester's map layout achieves this, and does it quite well. Is it perfect? Of course not, but it's far better than the majority of the alternative maps we have in creating good gameplay conditions. Ask the Euro's what it's like to play at off peak times on other large maps where milking is the norm... Fun isn't it? :confused:

I get why some may not like it, but I didn't subscribe to the game to try to minimize the time I have fighting other human opponents in an awesome massively multiplayer game. I joined up to maximize it, and hence the fun I would have.

+1  I play off hours and its always simple to find, or create a fight on it. Excellent map that just needs some tweeks
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Biggamer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2015, 04:16:28 PM »
A couple points here...

+1
G3-MF

Offline Biggamer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 04:27:30 PM »
Fester did good on this map it provides all kinda of action i love this map , one of the things i like that fester did on this map was put a base on it for the B29s to take off with out any trouble at all no matter your loadout every other map you gotta consider alt of base fuel how close the trees are at end of run way because B29s use all of the runway and then some to lift of depending loadout i have lost alot of perks crashing on take off i dont care because i got enough but not everyone does so nice job on the B29s base fester <<S>>
G3-MF

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 04:36:29 PM »
A couple points here...

The map was good , used to love it , close bases, action, the fight for A21 but....for 400-500 players, years ago ; now  sux with this low # like all the rest of large maps  with more bases than players; there are 80-90 players in MA on 250 bases most of the day/ What fun is this?
 This is the only map where the dar bar doesn't work ,can't track targets, and the HQ is located 1.5 sectors from nearest airfield in the middle of nowhere , almost impossible to defend and a nightmare to resupply with this low#, when needs 20+C47s loads;  :neener: :neener: :o
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 04:38:32 PM by ghi »

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2015, 05:22:23 PM »

This analysis seems theoretical. Huge maps have lots of bases that are all about 1 sector appart. The action was NEVER spread out all over the map. A fight would start and everyone went where the fight was. as soon a base was taken, the fight moved over one base.

On this map the fight rages at the two close bases until one of them is capture...then the fight ends. You're forced to fly long distances in the hope of drawing an upper. Saturday I logged on and there we 325 people in LWMA and there was one knit base that had a fight going on. we lost the base and action ended. I logged of out of boardom.

This map draws lots of people into GV fights because the Gv bases are numerous and very close together. Sucking people out of the air fight. Fester designed a map that puts bomb tards at great distances from the inner ring of GV bases to protect GV fights. But as a result pushes airbases farther apart than any other map in service. Only Crater was worse for Air-to-air action. It makes for very little air action as a results.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2015, 06:46:07 PM »
This map continues to be my favotlrite. Always something to do somewhere. As long as you don't mind doing something different once in a while. You can even have them all at one base, with gv's ib, close air support for defense, and air cover/attack of close air support. Sometimes it does get stretched out and you have to fly a few sectors to support/attack but it is still viable. Of. Ourse the fuel sippers get used more therefore more aircraft variety in use. Lonv travel for air cover, and all of a sudden people are covering ground attacks by upping wirbs and such with the tanks.
All in all, imho of what this game can be, this map tends to force it more, but still gives you a choice.