Author Topic: Your favourite ride - and why?  (Read 6354 times)

Offline M1A1

• Copper Member
Re: Your favourite ride - and why?
« Reply #165 on: April 08, 2015, 07:43:06 AM »
Without a doubt you are correct. It has taken me years of flying it and I am still getting the hang of her. As my skill has increased so has my confidence in just what that airframe can do. Last night 4 kills all under 2000 ft. 2 109, 1 Spit and 1 F4F all much better turners than the D. I still had 800 rds of ammo when I finally landed. Not bad if I say so myself..LOL

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #166 on: April 08, 2015, 08:37:29 AM »
You know what my fav ride was.
AoM
City of ice

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #167 on: April 08, 2015, 10:58:57 AM »
Without a doubt you are correct. It has taken me years of flying it and I am still getting the hang of her. As my skill has increased so has my confidence in just what that airframe can do. Last night 4 kills all under 2000 ft. 2 109, 1 Spit and 1 F4F all much better turners than the D. I still had 800 rds of ammo when I finally landed. Not bad if I say so myself..LOL

That is how you get the most kills in the quickest period of time. Jumping in there and killing planes by putting yourself in a risky situation. If you can learn to get in and out of these situations, then you will have overall better success. You may die more at first, but the point is to get into situations where you can get the most kills the fastest, while being able to escape from the enemy. Timid flyers never engage long enough, or get down n dirty long enough to get kills and this is why their stats suffer.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline jollyFE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #168 on: April 08, 2015, 11:45:06 AM »
FM2 followed by the 109F
Every time a Nit vulches,  an angel get it's wings.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #169 on: April 08, 2015, 12:08:06 PM »
That is how you get the most kills in the quickest period of time. Jumping in there and killing planes by putting yourself in a risky situation. If you can learn to get in and out of these situations, then you will have overall better success. You may die more at first, but the point is to get into situations where you can get the most kills the fastest, while being able to escape from the enemy. Timid flyers never engage long enough, or get down n dirty long enough to get kills and this is why their stats suffer.
+1 

Last I checked this is a game... Diving to the deck and running home when you have lost an overwhelming advantage isn't the best way to actually get better.  Fighting from a disadvantage is the best way to learn.  <shrug>
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline M1A1

• Copper Member
« Reply #170 on: April 08, 2015, 01:11:52 PM »
Agreed, my problem stems from rushing the situation and being to aggressive from the start. I will push for the shot before it is optimal. I tend to rush shots which put me into bad setups. I need to be a bit more patient at the start and wait and pick my shots much better. I notice when I take my time the results are far better then rushing in guns blazing...

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #171 on: April 08, 2015, 01:21:38 PM »
There are a decent number of fighters in AH that are superior as fighters to the P-51D.  Bf109K-4, for example, holds almost all of the cards over the P-51D.  In particular, it is faster, builds E faster and it turns tighter.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline M1A1

• Copper Member
« Reply #172 on: April 08, 2015, 02:11:56 PM »
Not true unless the speed charts are wrong the K-4 is slower by 10-15 mph until about 25,000 ft which it then gains a sizable advantage.

Offline M1A1

• Copper Member
« Reply #173 on: April 08, 2015, 02:15:00 PM »
From about 16,000 to 25,000 they are about dead equal in speed. Where the K-4 has the advantage is in acceleration. It has a much Higher HP to Weight ratio than the Pony D. It accelerates like a scalded cat compared to the D. That is where alot of folks think it's faster. At Anything less than 15,000 feet the Pony is faster for sure...

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #174 on: April 08, 2015, 02:18:01 PM »
There are a decent number of fighters in AH that are superior as fighters to the P-51D.  Bf109K-4, for example, holds almost all of the cards over the P-51D.  In particular, it is faster, builds E faster and it turns tighter.

Idk man, although the 109k is a great plane, I still think the P51 has much better overall performance than the K. All a P51 has to do is dive away with a little bit of alt to get away from the K4. The K4 cannot dive, which severely limits the potential of the aircraft. The P51 holds E better than the K, turns faster at higher speeds, and has the advantage during a high alt fight, so the tables can be turnt real quick against a 109k who kills all their speed too quickly. The 109K barely turns inside of the P51, so depending on the pilot, a good p51 stick could give a lessor skilled pilot a hard fight for a death. The P51 is much more suitable over 10K. It can dive and make a fast pass quick shot a lot more easier than a K. The bullets are much easier to shoot in the P51. The p51 is best used in the BnZ style which is the most effective and easiest way to fly in the MA if you want to stay alive. The 109 is not a BnZer and is best flown at 10k. You have a lot more worrying to do about your SA than in the P51. You have to be a good slash attacker and good aimer in the K4 which are advanced skills in AH. So I think overall the P51 is a much better all around plane than the K givin the situation.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 02:23:12 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 08, 2015, 02:43:29 PM »
It all depends on your skill level.
The 109K hast more stellar performance as a fighter when you have an experienced pilot at the stick. However, the P-51 is much more 'accessible' to players with lesser skill level, it's strengths don't need so much training to be played upon (grammar?)

As I said earlier, the F4U and 109k have enormous potential once you have mastered them. But they are more difficult to master than some other fighters.

I remember when I went from La7-Ki84 to the 109K and F4U, after being so thoroughly being thrashed by them on several occasions.
It was an instant disaster, as both are so peculiar compared to what I have flown before. Much more than with the other planes I had to acquaint myself with those two on an individual base.

Just having a huge potential doesn't equal 'easy mode'

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #176 on: April 08, 2015, 02:54:47 PM »
It is also favorable to note that the P51 can carry a ton of ord and has a 50 minute gas tank with no drop tank. Which means you have a longer air time to be more patient and to gather more kills. The K4 only has about 24 minutes. Add 24 minutes with 65 bullets and you gotta be in top of it to get >4 kills without running out of either.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #177 on: April 08, 2015, 07:11:12 PM »
DemonSlayr, that you mention diving as an escape is a measure of the K4's superiority. By diving out, you basically yield the fight, giving the K4 all the cards if you chose to come back.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline 10thmd

• Silver Member
« Reply #178 on: April 08, 2015, 07:27:51 PM »
Not true unless the speed charts are wrong the K-4 is slower by 10-15 mph until about 25,000 ft which it then gains a sizable advantage.

You seem to have forgot the thing we call WEP...... The K-4 can run a P51D to the ground at all altitudes. Given at Sea level it is on a couple of MPH faster the P51D

- Der Wander Zirkus -
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #179 on: April 08, 2015, 08:04:45 PM »
DemonSlayr, that you mention diving as an escape is a measure of the K4's superiority. By diving out, you basically yield the fight, giving the K4 all the cards if you chose to come back.

That's how it works for a plane that cannot turn as well. Escaping the fight is important for fast planes. Once the P51 gets about 2K away there is really nothing a follower can do. Out diving planes was a major strategy used against the axis to escape danger.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-