Author Topic: Your favourite ride - and why?  (Read 6346 times)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Re: Your favourite ride - and why?
« Reply #195 on: April 09, 2015, 02:39:11 PM »
There's way too many armchair tacticians talking about ACM without the requirement to prove its validity. My solid belief is that when two pilots have contradicting points of view regarding ACM, they should go to the DA and duel it out, using the planes and tactics relevant to their argument. The loser would have to concede to the other's point.
The argument is exactly on points that one cannot dis/prove in a duel. The 190D9 is a very poor plane to duel with. However, in the MA it consistently tops the list of unperked planes in its stats. In special events and scenarios it rules and does much better than the 109K. Climb is not very useful in large scale engagements that are not at tree tops level, but is very valuable in a duel. In such situations, dive and speed (and never-exceed speed) are much more important defensively than sustained turn rates. Visibility out of the cockpit becomes exponentially more important as the number of planes in your vicinity increase. Ammo load and ease of aiming becomes more important in large scale engagements where you cannot ride someones 6 for long till you get the perfect shot. The ability to take damage and fight on. These factors are non-issues in a duel.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 09, 2015, 02:53:42 PM »
And that's also why the Tempest  trumps the allegedly 'best fighter', the F4U-4 in the MA environment,  both in overall success as well as direct combat stats.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #197 on: April 09, 2015, 03:10:05 PM »
And that's also why the Tempest  trumps the allegedly 'best fighter', the F4U-4 in the MA environment,  both in overall success as well as direct combat stats.

I would say the F4u4 takes a lot more skill to learn than the tempest simply because you have to know both styles of turning and BnZ to be very successful it. Many pilots get caught up in the turn n burn in the F4u4 which makes it an easy pick while most pilots in the tempest only stick to the BnZ method of fighting. The fact that it can do both exceedingly well, and dive exceedingly well, where as the K4 cannot dive well, is why I give the F4U4 more credit as far as being a better fighter than the tempest.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 03:12:34 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #198 on: April 09, 2015, 03:15:49 PM »
The argument is exactly on points that one cannot dis/prove in a duel. The 190D9 is a very poor plane to duel with. However, in the MA it consistently tops the list of unperked planes in its stats. In special events and scenarios it rules and does much better than the 109K. Climb is not very useful in large scale engagements that are not at tree tops level, but is very valuable in a duel. In such situations, dive and speed (and never-exceed speed) are much more important defensively than sustained turn rates. Visibility out of the cockpit becomes exponentially more important as the number of planes in your vicinity increase. Ammo load and ease of aiming becomes more important in large scale engagements where you cannot ride someones 6 for long till you get the perfect shot. The ability to take damage and fight on. These factors are non-issues in a duel.

1v1 fights are the litmus test of tactics. The MA is simply application of those tactics against a wider range of targets. To claim that climb is not very useful in large engagements is to assume that you'll never end up at the edge of a furball with a slower, lesser-climbing opponent behind you - it's a very misguided assumption. Every tactic employed in large-scale combat is built upon a corresponding component of 1v1 tactics. If 1v1 tactics did not work in large fights, no pilot could ever score a kill by themselves.

If everyone flew to survive above all else, we'd find that the fights in the MA would utilize the majority of the same tactics we see in the DA. The difference is that the MA's mentality is generally "kill kill kill!" while the DA mentality is surviving ("win win win!"). There is a focus in the DA to survive; it just so happens that the way to survive is to kill your opponent quickly with the least loss of position and/or energy. Ergo, 1v1 tactics rely on selecting the most efficient maneuver (response) to a given situation.

MA flying, on the other hand, covers up individual deficiencies. If a pilot makes a mistake in the MA, they can disengage and run to cover... and we see this as perfectly acceptable (although annoying). However, what we neglect to address is that the pilot diving to the deck is running to friendly assets, whether it's wingmen or ack. If you consider that ack or wingmen isn't available to the opponent, we begin to realize the ridiculousness of the argument. It becomes apparent that the "it only works in the MA" argument is really just an admission that the tactics do not really work in and of themselves, instead requiring  outside variables to be successful.

This is why any tactic considered effective to a single pilot in the MA must also have merit in the DA. Otherwise, it's not a tactic, it's simply poor flying that's compensated for by rolling with large masses of friendly pilots.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 03:19:43 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 26-9

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #199 on: April 09, 2015, 03:32:37 PM »
the Tempest is without a doubt a better fighter than the F4U-4 under 10k. It holds two key advantages over the hog which is Speed and Firepower(the two most important attributes). The Tempest arguable has the best gun package in game. Many people don't realize that the Tempest has the  Hispano MK V which has the same superb ballistics and hitting power of the Hispano MKII with a rate of fire comparable to the Browning 50cal.

Now I do think the F4U is the better fighter at Medium-High altitudes and its a lot more versatile as a multi-role aircraft but in the typical MA environment the Tempest has the edge.
See Rule #4

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #200 on: April 09, 2015, 03:40:30 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 10:08:46 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #201 on: April 09, 2015, 05:03:17 PM »
There's way too many armchair tacticians talking about ACM without the requirement to prove its validity. My solid belief is that when two pilots have contradicting points of view regarding ACM, they should go to the DA and duel it out, using the planes and tactics relevant to their argument. The loser would have to concede to the other's point.

See, that only works with pilots of truly equal skill. I don't pretend to be able to beat DemonSlayr, but that's not because he has better tactics, that's because he's simply a better pilot than me in all aspects from what I've seen.

I draw my opinion from fighting P-51's flown in similar fashion, but without the master hand at the controls. In essentially every case I've been in, if the P-51 disengages with intent to reset he has already lost. The K4 and Spit 14 both generate energy far better, giving me even greater advantage than I started with in most cases.

And again, though this may not be a goal of everyone, the K4 us better at controlling airspace than the P-51.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline JVboob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #202 on: April 10, 2015, 02:52:29 AM »
38L... shes just got that wide wing that likes to catch bullets.
"Sighhhhhhhhhh, office closed do to ice for a day, And I miss a thread like this.."HiTech
Armed N Hammered 2002-2003
JG44 Night Hawks/JV44 Butcher Birds 2003-2009
49th Fighter Group fightn' 49ers Feb2012-present
138th FW Tulsa, OK 2009-2015

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #203 on: April 10, 2015, 05:29:48 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 10:09:38 AM by Skuzzy »
AoM
City of ice

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #204 on: April 10, 2015, 03:36:31 PM »
 :rolleyes:

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #205 on: April 10, 2015, 05:32:16 PM »
What ever.
AoM
City of ice

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #206 on: April 10, 2015, 05:56:54 PM »
Debrody turning into the new Schlowy?
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline darkzking

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #207 on: April 10, 2015, 06:08:10 PM »
P-39 AiraCobra why because she has a mean 37mm Gun, decent climb rate (below 15k), and she's the best lookin ww2 fighter. 

**************************************   BEST WW2 FIGHTER IN GAME   ******************************************* :airplane:
raynos32 Leader of the 242nd Sloppy Terminators
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
See Rule #4

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #208 on: April 11, 2015, 08:24:58 AM »
Debrody turning into the new Schlowy?
Nope, i said "Chill, Paul" and got rule nr.4-ed. There was no eightyeight, Hitech cheats the Luft, the 109s need C4, the 190s are undermodelled, or anything like that. 
So what evah.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 08:28:13 AM by Debrody »
AoM
City of ice

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #209 on: April 11, 2015, 11:41:04 AM »
   my favorite ride cause it makes me money
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait