Author Topic: How on earth can people be so stupid.  (Read 8060 times)

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
How on earth can people be so stupid.
« on: April 07, 2015, 12:36:04 AM »
So this video popped up on my Facebook feed from a cousin who sorta kinda believes the whole chemtrail conspiracy, and who knows I work in aviation, asking me to explain it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv1BSxNPdx8

Afterwards I decided to make my first ever comment on a youtube video, just pointing out that it is likely a DC-10/MD-11 variant and nothing unusual.  To which the person who posted the video replies simply "They don't use those anymore."   :bhead  When I tell him that yes, FedEx, UPS, the USAF and others still fly them... ... obstinate silence.  Worse is 95% of the comments there agree with the poster that it's proof of some conspiracy, and even the simple, obvious explanations (like it leaves 3 trails because it has 3 engines) are flat out rejected with no alternate explanation except "Because... conspiracy."

Anyway, I'm reminded of the Mark Twain quote.  "Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

But honestly I'm just exasperated at how gullible so many people seem to be, and the faith they have to stick with it in the face of actual facts and logic.  They're just like "Facts be damned... I have a crazy baseless, fact free theory instead!"

:bhead

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
Re: How on earth can people be so stupid.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 02:10:03 AM »
There simply *has* to be a way to make money off these people!

(shuffles off to underground lair to plot commercial exploitation of the weak-minded. Hmmm, we could call it "selling water in plastic bottles to people who get it for free from the taps in their home."

Naah, on second thoughts, that would never work...)
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 02:31:17 AM »
It is the appeal of secret knowledge and being in on something that all the "sheeple" out there don't know.

Generally, anybody who thinks of other people as sheep has too high an estimation of their own faculties and too low an estimation of other people's faculties.  Think of Mark Twain's advice when you encounter such people.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 05:21:56 AM »
Lol Saggs, did your best to interject reality to these nuts.

I think we need another PETA like raid on the comments  of that vid  :devil
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 05:27:25 AM »
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.  :lol

Just when you think "There's no way anyone can be that stupid. It's impossible!" someone will show up and prove you wrong.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 07:34:35 AM »
Every day I'm reminded that half the population has an IQ of less than 100. And 100 is not very bright.
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 07:53:52 AM »
So this video popped up on my Facebook feed from a cousin who sorta kinda believes the whole chemtrail conspiracy, and who knows I work in aviation, asking me to explain it.

Afterwards I decided to make my first ever comment on a youtube video, just pointing out that it is likely a DC-10/MD-11 variant and nothing unusual.  To which the person who posted the video replies simply "They don't use those anymore."   :bhead  When I tell him that yes, FedEx, UPS, the USAF and others still fly them... ... obstinate silence.  Worse is 95% of the comments there agree with the poster that it's proof of some conspiracy, and even the simple, obvious explanations (like it leaves 3 trails because it has 3 engines) are flat out rejected with no alternate explanation except "Because... conspiracy."

Anyway, I'm reminded of the Mark Twain quote.  "Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

But honestly I'm just exasperated at how gullible so many people seem to be, and the faith they have to stick with it in the face of actual facts and logic.  They're just like "Facts be damned... I have a crazy baseless, fact free theory instead!"

:bhead What was it the circus guy, Barnium Bailey used to say, there is "sucker" born every day! What a moron who posted that video, and just think, people like him have a following
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 08:24:52 AM »

My old roommate was like that man. They believe anything that isn't reality to subset their mind that reality as we percieve is a lie and we are the product of heirarchies. Its a coping method, maybe even an evolutionary thing to combat fear. However, as you know, these people are the ones who live with the most fear. That everyone is out to get them! No matter how many professionally written studies you can put in their faces, their own mind is ignorant to a truth only they can understsnd. Unfortunately faith is a very strong feeling, one that cannot be easily changed or messed with, much like religion. So these people show you YouTube video after YouTube video of some idiot "doctor" describing the phenomenon and since it is not the main stream media, they believe it. The only thing you can do is except that fact that they are complete idiots and walk the other way.

Even if chemtrails are deployed, they wouldn't be effective from high alts. I've announced my arguement about that already in skyrocks posts, so I won't go any further on that topic.

Just so you know. NEVER attempt to argue with people in YouTube. It is the empitome of trollers and DIPS**ts.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 09:27:33 AM »
last I checked there were still a few DC-10s operating out of some 4'th world place. I forget where. Ive seen the occasional MD-11 but they are mostly active out of the UPS and Fed Ex Hubs like Memphis. And I think the KC-10 is still operational, at least at reserve units "thing is loud as hell". What was the guy trying to say? That some secret organization was poisoning us with a 3 engine airplane?
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 09:41:46 AM »
I had to throw a comment in there just to see what happens lol.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 09:44:54 AM »
There IS a way to make money off of them.  Lots of people do.  Stay up late and listen to coast to coast AM.  The guests are mostly nutters but some are crazy like a fox, selling a book or charging speaking fees or whatever. They've done the work to collect "evidence" and put it together into a marginally plausible scenario or theory, and then they sell it.

There are enough nutters out there to make a small income selling nutter candy (conspiracy theory stuff), but just realize that while the pool of nutters is wide, it isn't very deep.  I don't know if very many people actually get *rich* selling nonsense to idiots because those idiots rarely have more than a few bucks to spend on that stuff.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 09:57:36 AM »
:bhead What was it the circus guy, Barnium Bailey used to say, there is "sucker" born every day! What a moron who posted that video, and just think, people like him have a following

That be Barnam and Bailey.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 11:18:31 AM »
Open a gun shop. Sell guns. I understand the Kill Zombies (KZ) gear is selling like hot cakes to this day. 6,000,000 guns/yr. in the U.S., and typically 100 CW permits/hr. per state (for states that allow it).
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 11:25:19 AM »
That be Barnam and Bailey.

Barnum and Bailey.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 11:51:31 AM »
There are enough nutters out there to make a small income selling nutter candy (conspiracy theory stuff), but just realize that while the pool of nutters is wide, it isn't very deep. 

So uhh... Nutter Butter?
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann