Author Topic: Switching Arenas when HQ goes down  (Read 2543 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Switching Arenas when HQ goes down
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 05:12:16 PM »
So Traveler, if he doesn't, is it back to no answer no peace Baltimore style?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Naughty

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 05:16:35 PM »
This is not correct, it would change only for that arena session, and after a reset it would be back to default. If it was an easy change I would have done so already.

HiTech

This is what I've been waiting for ! This simple little sentence speaks mountains of info. It tells me that HTC recognizes the issue, That it isn't an easy fix as everyone has speculated, and that it probably will be addressed in the coming update.  :aok  I'll quit ranting about it now, and be as patient as I can
The true warrior has no enemies. Only teachers

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 05:20:42 PM »
    This is what I've been waiting for ! This simple little sentence speaks mountains of info. It tells me that HTC recognizes the issue, That it isn't an easy fix as everyone has speculated, and that it probably will be addressed in the coming update.  :aok  I'll quit ranting about it now, and be as patient as I can

Seconded.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 05:21:31 PM »
my guess, It may have something to do with the "alpha". Everything is tied together at the cores I would think. Doesn't matter which arena. So messing with it now could maybe cause problems with the alpha testing. Seeing as the alpha is all about "fixing" things and getting them right, why take a chance to add more issues.

I see.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 05:34:57 PM »
boggles the mind how it isn't an easy fix though..

:headscratch:

how isn't it just a variable in a server config

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2015, 06:02:36 PM »
Truth is so 1992.

No wonder Hitech stays silent. Social Justice is all the rage on the Internet today. What can he do in the face of:

"I don't care what you say unless it's what I want to hear because I don't believe you!! Even if you cross your heart on a stack of preachers!!"

Wouldn't it be easier to beat him up over coding too slow. That would make more sense. Coding is something he can do realllllll gooood...... :O

Acting like ex-wives at alimony time is no different than kicking him to the curb every time you talk to him. How long can any of you take that kind of treatment? Oh I forget, you get to hide behind the Internet. He doesn't. In Internet gaming terms, You Win. Yeah right.......numptys.
I think this says everything I want to say, except MUCH more tactfully. Thank you! HiTech, I sure don't understand why you even keep the game going, you're surely damned no matter what you do or say. Whiners WILL whine.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 07:02:00 PM »
boggles the mind how it isn't an easy fix though..

:headscratch:

how isn't it just a variable in a server config

I guess the way it is programmed...

Surely there's an app for that.  Lol

(Or a script.)
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2015, 07:03:17 PM »
I think this says everything I want to say, except MUCH more tactfully. Thank you! HiTech, I sure don't understand why you even keep the game going, you're surely damned no matter what you do or say. Whiners WILL whine.

It is a legit "whine" bro.  It isn't like guys are complaining over nothing. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2015, 09:43:44 PM »
One possible workaround (just a thought) is that HQ could effect your view of national dar but not local as presumably the local population would let authorities know of enemy aircraft in the area.

Local base radar when down would effect dot dar and thus exact location. But "local" Bar dar for that sector and that sector alone should remain.

You could find out what is going on in other sectors at other bases within your country by either relying on reports from countrymen already at bases on country channel. Or by moving around and having a look for yourself.

In short. Local radar should be independent of one another regardless of HQ status with HQ radar giving you the ability to see the "big picture" at a glance when fully operational. Take HQ down and you reduce all radar to local only
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2015, 10:37:54 PM »
Nobody bombed and bailed after killing hq in the above mentioned instance.

I never understood why people don't simply fly out to hq and see what's going on instead of whining.

Those who did fly around hq to take a look did not employ any stealth.........unlike the HQ destroyers.

Next time you go out to investigate where you suspect the enemy is, try flying there NOE rather that flying a banner (dar bar) that says "I'm on my way".

The fail is not in the sim or settings but rather in the players.

Offline 10thmd

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 11:13:09 PM »
Why even bother anymore THIS IS GETTING OLD....... HQ goes down tonight, start resupping, bish win before I even make 1 trip. Go to midwar only to have those guys do everything in their power to avoid a fight. Relog into Latewar and guess what HQ is down. Almost 3 hours of gameplay with not one decent fight........
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 11:17:39 PM by 10thmd »
- Der Wander Zirkus -
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2015, 03:39:55 AM »
Nobody bombed and bailed after killing hq in the above mentioned instance.

I never understood why people don't simply fly out to hq and see what's going on instead of whining.

Those who did fly around hq to take a look did not employ any stealth.........unlike the HQ destroyers.

Next time you go out to investigate where you suspect the enemy is, try flying there NOE rather that flying a banner (dar bar) that says "I'm on my way".

The fail is not in the sim or settings but rather in the players.

Ice, you're wrong, bro.  Simply wrong.   This is a game feature that lacks balance.  HTC seems to have acknowledged that above.  ("If it was an easy fix I would have changed it five years ago." - Paraphrase.)
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2015, 04:54:39 AM »
It is a legit "whine" bro.  It isn't like guys are complaining over nothing.
No, it's not a "legit" complaint. It's a whine. It's part of the game, intended to be there. what, in my opinion, HiTech recognizes, is that people are whining and won't let it go. Not only that, they won't up and resupply, defend or anything else. All they want to do is "fight". I've spent plenty of time resupplying, and most of those helping don't complain.
Sometimes a business owner should tell chronic complainers to go find something else, and it's legitimate, because if they lose one reason to complain, they just find something else. This SOOOOO goes back to the time of people whining about the side change rule, another ridiculous whine, that was correctly followed by the ban hammer. Play or leave, there will be others, all you want is to make it easier....easy sux.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2015, 05:17:44 AM »
No, it's not a "legit" complaint. It's a whine. It's part of the game, intended to be there. what, in my opinion, HiTech recognizes, is that people are whining and won't let it go.

It's simply a very much unbalanced gameplay feature. Effort and result don't match, as well as the actions necessary to redeem it at the current palyer numbers.
It worked somewhat better when it wasn't tied to the city and we had more players to cover the hQ and to resupply it in particular.

When I logged on for my quick AH fix at early noon we had 29(!) players online total, which comes down to about 5 active players per side. On a large map (Tagma). It won't get that much better for the next hours. It's toally easy to get to the HQ noe and kill it, which at these numbers can easily mean I spoend all my available time in the goon and still can't get it up.

What many US players forget is that a killed HQ has very much increased effect on gameplay during off hours. You can't just "get 10 players along and quickly resupp it", and there are often no battles at all that can easily be found  'asked for on country where the fight is".

And all that just by a single player.

A feature impacting a whole country on such a scale should be difficult and require serious effort, a big raid. Effort and consequences have to match better. Even better in my opinion would be giving it a different function.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 05:20:06 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2015, 06:42:05 AM »
Not to mention that with the larger maps most people only are able to see a few sectors around them as they have the map zoomed in to they can see what is going on in their area. Radar goes down before they even know its getting hit.

The large maps have to go. Dont get me wrong. I love the large maps. But you have to have the kind of numbers to warrant them or they become a detriment to the game as a whole. When we had larger numbers we had more people spread out doing different things. Inbound cons were noticed, an alarm was raised by the noticing player/s and typically responded to 90% of the time.
Now with the lower numbers. A player or two can fly a lot of different places and never even be seen.
I logged on last night and saw a few small fights going on in the center of the map. and a con here, 2 cons there milkrunning fields around the perimeter. Right around the time our radar went down I discovered an enemy CV, Sank ALL of its ships and nobody even noticed let alone responded to it. Thats the carrier, the Cruiser and all of the little light cruisers. Not one person noticed.

Finishing that I looked around. couldnt see anything because of HQ being down.. and logged off.

The big maps had their place when we had the numbers to warrant them. This is at the moment is no longer the case.

I agree wholeheartedly that HQ needs to be made so it takes a Herculean effort to bring down. A major target should take major effort and should be wrought with major danger. Make the HQ tougher to bring down and quadruple the number of field ack defending it. We hear of WWII stories of targets that were so heavily defended by AA guns that the ack was so thick you could walk across it. This is what we should be seeing.  Same thing with the strats to a lessor extent. The greater the target. The more defended it should be with HQ being the grandest and most defended of them all
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty