Author Topic: Biggest "crutch" plane of AH  (Read 7412 times)

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
Re: Biggest "crutch" plane of AH
« Reply #135 on: May 01, 2015, 12:58:03 AM »
thank you...

This is turned more into another pissing match.. shocker.
I like making threads that do that lol
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #136 on: May 01, 2015, 12:58:31 AM »
thank you...

This is turned more into another pissing match.. shocker.
Good discussion, not pissing match :aok
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #137 on: May 01, 2015, 01:51:05 AM »
These never ending drama posts reminds me of a Fantasy Con I worked security for the Hotel and Con in 86. Fans of Marion Zimmer Bradley and her brother Edwin Zimmer were in a hall way dressed in role playing costumes with toy weapons arguing which sibling wrote the more realistic sword fighting scenes. Edwin spent 3 months with a martial arts school in South San Francisco, quit, then started writing sword fighting into his stories. And told everyone at Sifi and Fantasy cons he had been trained in Yagu Shikage Ryu Japanese swordsman ship. His sister Marion had spent a few summers in Ireland and Scotland taking from the local legends to spice her sword fighting scenes. Not her, Edwin, or most of their fans had ever been in the military, or had to fight in combat with a sword. Swords like guns cannot fight.

At least back then everyone knew each other in person and took their chances with getting punched in the nose. Like this forum, usually a lot of screeching, posturing and windy noises over things many of you would tell your kids to get over it already.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #138 on: May 01, 2015, 05:55:23 AM »
I know how you feel. I hate it when you thoroughly smash them, so they take up an LA,K4,4Hog,or Tempest and B-line towards the base your going to RTB at. I can understand upping a plane to match your opponents performance such as an LA when a K4 is in the area, but I've had guys lose to my P40 and come back after me in a LA7.

And they would still loose because they would still be using the wrong tool for the job
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #139 on: May 01, 2015, 06:03:55 AM »
These never ending drama posts reminds me of a Fantasy Con I worked security for the Hotel and Con in 86. Fans of Marion Zimmer Bradley and her brother Edwin Zimmer were in a hall way dressed in role playing costumes with toy weapons arguing which sibling wrote the more realistic sword fighting scenes. Edwin spent 3 months with a martial arts school in South San Francisco, quit, then started writing sword fighting into his stories. And told everyone at Sifi and Fantasy cons he had been trained in Yagu Shikage Ryu Japanese swordsman ship. His sister Marion had spent a few summers in Ireland and Scotland taking from the local legends to spice her sword fighting scenes. Not her, Edwin, or most of their fans had ever been in the military, or had to fight in combat with a sword. Swords like guns cannot fight.

At least back then everyone knew each other in person and took their chances with getting punched in the nose. Like this forum, usually a lot of screeching, posturing and windy noises over things many of you would tell your kids to get over it already.

Personally, Considering the explosive powder keg this thread had the potential of being. And some of the posters involved in it.  Other then a few very soft jabs (considering some of the characters involved.) I think its remained pretty benign and cordial for a 10 page thread. I really expected this one to explode by page 3 and be locked by page 4
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #140 on: May 01, 2015, 07:55:02 AM »
The reason they up a LA7 or Tempest is because those two have the best chance of catching you before you land.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #141 on: May 01, 2015, 08:12:04 AM »
That is why the P40s were able to beat the nimble a6ms, they could climb higher (advantage one) and dive faster (advantage 2). This caused sorta of the evolution of building the fastest and most powerful planes.
A6Ms could climb higher than P-40s or F4Fs.  I don't know where this idea that A6Ms couldn't climb high came from, but they are pretty competitive at altitude against 1940/1941 stuff.

Now whether the Japanese took advantage of that or not is another issue, and as you said the A6M could not dive as well which limits altitudes usefulness offensively.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #142 on: May 01, 2015, 08:54:19 AM »
A6Ms could climb higher than P-40s or F4Fs.  I don't know where this idea that A6Ms couldn't climb high came from, but they are pretty competitive at altitude against 1940/1941 stuff.

Now whether the Japanese took advantage of that or not is another issue, and as you said the A6M could not dive as well which limits altitudes usefulness offensively.

The a6m could max altitude climb higher than the P40?
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #143 on: May 01, 2015, 09:24:43 AM »
Thats just plain rude. And graceless to boot.

No it's not, it's a game.

It's the equivalent of complaining "I brought a knife to a gunfight and he shot me!"
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 26-9

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #144 on: May 01, 2015, 10:13:31 AM »

It's the equivalent of complaining "I brought a knife to a gunfight and he shot me!"
Do you have a sense of humor?
Pies not kicks.

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #145 on: May 01, 2015, 10:27:14 AM »

Id say its more like losing a knife fight and than coming back with a 44. Magnum.

You are right though, it is just a video game and your setting yourself up for frustration if you pretend like it won't happen.

Does anyone I play with/against regularly think I use any particular planes as a "crutch" just curious.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 10:29:40 AM by glzsqd »
See Rule #4

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 01, 2015, 10:28:54 AM »
Id say its more like losing a knife fight and than coming back with a 44. Magnum

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me...  :noid
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #147 on: May 01, 2015, 10:32:13 AM »
Do you have a sense of humor?

He's a Skyyborg, he can't waste precious processing capacity on an utterly useless "Sense of Humor"  :grin:
See Rule #4

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #148 on: May 01, 2015, 10:33:14 AM »
Id say its more like losing a knife fight and than coming back with a 44. Magnum.

You are right though, it is just a video game and your setting yourself up for frustration if you pretend like it won't happen.

Well I'd say its more akin to losing a towel fight and coming back with a toilet plunger.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2015, 10:33:45 AM »

No.  It's the equivalent to, "This guy and I were shooting targets at the range.  He was out shooting me at 300 yards with his Winchester Model 94.  That pissed me off, so I went to the truck and brought out my $6000 Accuracy International and showed him what a real shooter can do." 
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-