Author Topic: Quantum Computer  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
Quantum Computer
« on: April 29, 2015, 09:46:35 AM »
Has anyone ever heard of this? It's quite interesting, a quantum computer will outclass a digital computer in speed and processing by far. :eek:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/09/03/technology/google-quantum/
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
Re: Quantum Computer
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 10:12:33 AM »
Yep. They can do some pretty interesting stuffs with quantum technology if they makes it work. Quantum entaglement for ex. In theory u can transfer data instantly even if transmitter and reciever are light years appart.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 10:22:33 AM »
Yes I had one of those aboard the Normandy SR2.
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 10:43:40 AM »
Yep. They can do some pretty interesting stuffs with quantum technology if they makes it work. Quantum entaglement for ex. In theory u can transfer data instantly even if transmitter and reciever are light years appart.

Sounds like Star Trek's subspace radio communications?

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 11:15:06 AM »
It's really mind bending to think that information could travel above the speed of light. It means there's something fundamental about the structure of the universe that we don't understand yet.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 11:18:03 AM »
It's really mind bending to think that information could travel above the speed of light. It means there's something fundamental about the structure of the universe that we don't understand yet.

There is so much to understand. I'd personally like to learn as much as I can in a lifetime.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 01:20:47 PM »
You will.  By definition.

Offline Coalcat1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 02:02:22 PM »
The last record for a quantum computation was 4 X 4= 16 last I checked. This is a very interesting technology to look into, and very promising for the future.

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 02:25:24 PM »
The last record for a quantum computation was 4 X 4= 16 last I checked. This is a very interesting technology to look into, and very promising for the future.

You looked a very long time ago...theses things are taking Turing tests..

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 03:16:11 PM »

Haven't you heard? There's already something that travels faster than the speed of light. "Bad news". :P
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Coalcat1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 03:34:59 PM »
You looked a very long time ago...theses things are taking Turing tests..
It was like 5-6 years ago

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 04:12:11 PM »
Haven't you heard? There's already something that travels faster than the speed of light. "Bad news". :P

There is something that absolutely does travel faster than the speed of light.  Not a joke like "bad news".  Can you tell me what it is that we know travels faster than the speed of light?  (There could be other things too that we do not know about but this one we do)
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Coalcat1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 05:20:44 PM »
There is something that absolutely does travel faster than the speed of light.  Not a joke like "bad news".  Can you tell me what it is that we know travels faster than the speed of light?  (There could be other things too that we do not know about but this one we do)
The Universe after the Big Bang  :devil

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 05:30:26 PM »
The Expanding Universe after the Big Bang  :devil

Winner winner, chicken dinner !   :salute
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 05:55:56 PM »
Nothing can travel trough space faster than the speed of light. But it doesnt mean that u cannot mess with the space (spacetime) itself. And when it come to quantum entanglement nothing travels trough space between the entangled particles so no law is broken even if they affect each other instantly over great distances.

Edit: Had to refresh my memory on the subject and it seems that its not possible to transfer information trough entanglement faster than speed of light.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 06:08:09 PM by Zimme83 »
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking