Author Topic: Your Best Tip on Getting Better  (Read 7912 times)

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
Re: Your Best Tip on Getting Better
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2015, 11:51:16 AM »
I didn't realize you had this agenda.  Most here simply want to enjoy the game the way they want too - it's their money.  I certainly don't preach to my guys in the 56th

I don't preach to anyone either; you can't teach someone to have a competitive mentality, they either have it or they don't. My goal is to simply take those that have the existing capacity and help develop them into competitive, driven, emotionless killing machines.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 12:02:28 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2015, 11:54:34 AM »
I acknowledge that your style does offer a level of improvement, however it is a minimalistic style of improvement that is easily obtained by hyper passive aggressive tendencies (ie: avoiding high risk situations).

At the same time, saying that you are better than me (which was even more narcissistic before you edited the mention of the DA out of your post) is not a valid argument to the situations because of many different factors. To start, our preferred fighting styles are nothing alike; I prefer a low E, edge of stall knife fight while you prefer a high E, extended range dog fight.

Hmmmm....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPSWhzQyngc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGWDPxTa9GU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4nIdnyRlz0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktkag1wWhz4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrhMVtERPMA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scib0l-88AQ

So much for that theory...
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2015, 11:54:55 AM »
I don't preach to anyone I either; you can't teach someone to have a competitive mentality, they either have it or they don't. My goal is to simply take those that have the existing capacity and help develop them into competitive, driven, emotionless killing machines.

Why don't you start a thread about that in the "General Discussion" rather than contribute to this massive Derail ;).

I'll admit its an interesting discussion, but your "agenda" or what ever isn't what this thread is about.
See Rule #4

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2015, 11:56:05 AM »
I'll admit its an interesting discussion, but your "agenda" or what ever isn't what this thread is about.

I plea innocent - dragonplayer here decided to quote my advice and argue for no apparent reason. I'm simply posting evidence to the contrary (and to prevent new players from accepting said foolishness).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 11:58:09 AM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2015, 11:57:52 AM »
Skill > Flare or Class or Sportsmanship, at least when it comes to virtual bullets impacting your aircraft. ;)

And yes, I plan on filling AH with numerous mini-me's who care about skill first and foremost. If that's the death of Aces High, it sure says a lot about the ability level of the playerbase. I intend to up that overall ability level one way or another.

Because that worked so well for games like CoD and CS:GO which now have horrible reputations and are notorious for having a community of arsehats and [expletive].

If flare or sportsmanship was required, there'd be a stat tab for it.

Flare and sportsmanship are nice to have because they are, by definition, not required and intangible; much like common courtesy. Courtesy is appreciated because it is optional and generated out of sincerity; make it a requirement or boast about possessing it and it loses all value. Your argument is much the same. The second "flare" and "sportsmanship" is deemed as "necessary" or "required" is the second they become utterly worthless, used as excuses to explain away a lack of skill.

And here we begin with the "majority" collective mentality mentioned in #1.

It's a goof trait to have, being respectful and courteous to other people. It makes you human, but as you've shown countless times before you are not human. You are a robot programmed to act rude towards everyone and only care about "stats"  :lol

We should all take a page out of Skyyr's book and start acting extremely rude and violent towards one another. Screw this "courtesy" and "respect" stuff, let's just live horrible lives being rude to anyone and everyone.  :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2015, 11:58:13 AM »
If flare or sportsmanship was required, there'd be a stat tab for it.

Flare and sportsmanship are nice to have because they are, by definition, not required and intangible; much like common courtesy. Courtesy is appreciated because it is optional and generated out of sincerity; make it a requirement or boast about possessing it and it loses all value. Your argument is much the same. The second "flare" and "sportsmanship" is deemed as "necessary" or "required" is the second they become utterly worthless, used as excuses to explain away a lack of skill.

And here we begin with the "majority" collective mentality mentioned in #1.

I never said it was necessary, it's much like your first statement "nice to have", if a person wants a cup half full, they may have a cup half full if it's all they need to work with.
My point was that a person of honorable mention in terms of skill, would be even of more honorable mention if they choose to attain these traits. Without it what's much the use of recognizing that person.

I don't understand how this is a hindering view from the "majority" it's common knowledge for one to be held higher with both of the above mentioned traits along with skill rather than one with just skill and no traits that enable him to treat other people in the right manner?
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2015, 11:59:48 AM »
Hmmmm....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPSWhzQyngc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGWDPxTa9GU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4nIdnyRlz0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktkag1wWhz4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrhMVtERPMA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scib0l-88AQ

So much for that theory...

I plea innocent - dragonplayer here decided to quote my advice and argue for no apparent reason. I'm simply posting evidence to the contrary (and prevent new players from accepting said foolishness).

I merely pointed out how your advice is not applicable in all situations, more specifically in this case of improvement which as I stated already is a minimalistic form of improvement. You are the one who is persisting with these instances of ad hominem.

Edit: Grammar nazi
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 12:01:30 PM by Dragon Tamer »

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2015, 12:01:22 PM »
Sorry about your thread Muzzy  :cry

It was to young.
See Rule #4

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2015, 12:03:07 PM »
Sorry about your thread Muzzy  :cry

It was to young.

RIP thread. This is why we can't have nice things.

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2015, 12:03:20 PM »
Can we please stay on topic? The idea is to compile a list of ideas to help other players.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2015, 12:04:05 PM »
Can we please stay on topic? The idea is to compile a list of ideas to help other players.

I apologize.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2015, 12:07:23 PM »

I've said everything I wanted to address, I have no reason to post anything else.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2015, 12:17:46 PM »
I never said it was necessary, it's much like your first statement "nice to have", if a person wants a cup half full, they may have a cup half full if it's all they need to work with.
My point was that a person of honorable mention in terms of skill, would be even of more honorable mention if they choose to attain these traits. Without it what's much the use of recognizing that person.

I don't understand how this is a hindering view from the "majority" it's common knowledge for one to be held higher with both of the above mentioned traits along with skill rather than one with just skill and no traits that enable him to treat other people in the right manner?

Because to improve and to teach others to improve, you have to isolate the concept of skill. It's akin to refusing to study Hitler's political brilliance because he wasn't "honorable," therefore dooming society to fall prey to the next crazed political genius who comes around, all because you didn't "respect" Hitler as an opponent. 50,000,000+ people didn't need to respect him to find out he was very effective at killing them. That's the issue we have here.

When discussing skill and attempting to teach pilots, you have to focus purely on objective skill and ability. Muddying it with anything else results in a lessened, biased learning experience that falls short. It would be like trying to teach someone what a spoon is by always including it with a bowl, because they're commonly used together. Do that, and the learner will never recognize the spoon as an individual object that can be used with any number of other objects, which will limit their ability to use it for what it was intended for in the future.

That's clearly the case here, and is quite rampant throughout the community with cries of "HO'ing," "lack of honor," and so forth. It's blatantly obvious few here have learned or practiced ACM purely for what it was designed to do, and even fewer recognize that. Instead, everyone tries to preach their own opinion of what they think flying should be about, instead of teaching pure ACM and letting the pilot decide for themselves what it should be about. It's even more obvious in this thread, where posting a single list resulted in attacks from players who want to add their own interpretation of what air combat should be about. It's this mentality that prevents players from learning, because they never learned to be objective enough to split their bias from the subject matter.

Also, you cannot impart character, nor is character tangible. You can only teach someone skill and hope they have the character to use their skill wisely.

Anyways, back on topic.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 12:40:19 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2015, 12:27:17 PM »
Being able to track ten cons mean nothing if you can't deal with one
I've said everything I wanted to address, I have no reason to post anything else.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2015, 12:27:41 PM »
Being able to track ten cons mean nothing if you can't deal with one

Well, since you took the time to address it: BINGO.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...