Author Topic: So what is the mentality behind ack running?  (Read 10572 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: So what is the mentality behind ack running?
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2015, 12:27:49 PM »
ack running is a tactic where a player on the defensive tries to lure enemy fighters into his lethal ack zone.  Its really no more of an infestation than any other defensive tactic.  AI is in the game, people will use it to their advantage.  Always have....always will.

People tend not to realize or refuse to that it was done in real life by pilots of all sides.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2015, 01:02:47 PM »
ack running is a tactic where a player on the defensive tries to lure enemy fighters into his lethal ack zone.  Its really no more of an infestation than any other defensive tactic.  AI is in the game, people will use it to their advantage.  Always have....always will.

I remember one day running into a guy that had an incredible amount of polish on his ack running game.  He would run away as soon as you turned toward him.  If you pressed close to his ack at all, he had the timing down to a science to reverse when you had to turn away from the ack or risk getting hit, and he'd get something resembling a shot on you.

Couldn't help but wonder what he might've been able to do if he'd put that amount of thought and effort into ACM.

A lot of people hate to die in the game, right or wrong that's their choice.

If you look at things too narrowly though, you might be missing something else that's going on.  A guy running away from you to his ack to drag you away from a goon/bomber for example, or a guy that's pushing you down to keep you off an incoming buff or to set you up for the 3 faster fighters that are behind him.  Or, he might not want to engage you and the 3 friendlies behind you just out of icon waiting to pounce on him.

A lot of people fly immensely differently in the MA as opposed to how they fly in scenarios.  I use the MA for practice/fun most of the time.  In scenarios, I am trying to scientifically murder you however I can.  However, a lot of people don't fly scenarios and/or apply the logic I apply in scenario play to their MA play.  In other words, not everybody is in the MA to fight fairly.

And then there's those that for whatever reason, will do anything not to die in the game.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2015, 02:51:34 PM »
Well posted and best reply in the thread.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2015, 03:07:30 PM »
Players who in their B&Z'ers, with 4k Alt on you, and expect you to meekly be a baby seal and die "their way" really make me laugh. Most run like little babies when/if the tables turn and they lose their advantage in numbers or position. We have far to many here worried about what others do. Who cares?
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2015, 03:08:24 PM »

if someone is so afraid to die in a cartoon game.... I can't even imagine the yellow that runs down their spine.

so if they play video games cowardly that makes them a coward in real life.

i guess then if they play video games very bravely, they must be very brave people in real life.

you don't see how ridiculous that is?

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2015, 03:25:39 PM »
People tend not to realize or refuse to that it was done in real life by pilots of all sides.

of course it was done in the real world....

but like HTC has said and many here feel.... NOTHING about AH is actually replaying WW2...

its a friggen combat game....run from combat....in a combat game.... :rolleyes:

i guess then if they play video games very bravely, they must be very brave people in real life.

well if the shoe fits

it is those that say there is no such thing as Honor in a game that will be the quickest to run away when they lose advantage.

so let me guess you think Honor is not involved in AH....

rhetorical question.

like I said you are in a mission and have to take out DAR or whatever....dont engage and do your thing...

I am intelligent enough to know the difference between someone like skyrr who will run as soon as he loses advantage..... talks all kinds of smack...... has zero Honor....and other players who are truly just here to have fun....or play the game like it is the real world.

I do not care how anyone flies, it is there game to play the way they wish....

but dont expect me to call a running monkey a Fighting pitbull...

and for my last sentence on the subject

if the truth hurts..... change your reality.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2015, 03:26:16 PM »

The disconnect with that line of thinking is that it assumes the game means the same thing to everyone.

There are those who think of Aces High as a way to relive the WWII experience, there are those who think of it as a chivalrous way to relive history, and there are those who treat it as simply a game (as well as numerous other mental camps). At the end of the day, however, it is just that - a game.

I like to think of it as the difference between guys who go to Vegas; there are some who like the roulette table, some that like the poker table, and there are some who prefer card-counting at the blackjack table. The roulette guys will likely call out the poker guys and the blackjack guys for "not experiencing" Vegas, while they hoot and holler with friends and "experience the rush" of watching the ball roll around the track. The poker guys will think they're more sophisticated than the roulette guys, and more honorable than the blackjack guys, and still "experiencing" Vegas by playing an iconic Vegas past-time. The card-counting blackjack guys likely don't care about any of it, because they're simply there to win.

All three players are free to play how they want and what they want; however, at the end of the day, you can statistically measure the odds of each one winning. The roulette guy, no matter how much he might win, will still statistically lose on the whole. The poker guy has a better chance of winning, but it requires more discipline and knowing when to fold. The blackjack guy stands to win the most over time, but it also requires a more methodical and precise approach and being satisfied with slow yet steady progressions. It's also harder to become great at it because there's so little room for mistake with little chance for large, instantaneous gains.

The Aces High correlation comes in where the roulette guys (you know who they are) come in and insist that everyone plays there way, telling you all about how fun it is and the "rush" of excitement you experience. What is left out, however, is that you will, on the whole, lose the majority of the time. That is a high-risk mentality. There's more middle of the road guys, our poker-playing correlation, who like to mix it up, but also play conservatively. They tend to ridicule players at any extreme, while failing to be great at any one aspect. Then there's the card counters, the players who systematically go after specific results. They may or may not be good at it, but it's the gameplay they choose.

It's all about different play-styles. People play for different reasons. In the end, it's a game and none of this really happened anyway. I think most people tend to forget that.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 03:31:06 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 26-9

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2015, 03:40:38 PM »
Since Hitech is in the mood over the HQ.

See if he will reduce ack lethality on bases so hiding in it is not possible. The whine fest after that one in here will be incredible or, the numbers in the MA will drop off until AH3 is released.

When we had 3x the numbers in the MA, we had 3x the numbers of those willing to fight. So the Lathrobes and INKs of our game could find willing combatants. The rest they dismissed as hoard, ack huggers, HOers, dweebs and weaklings. But, the average numbers made their fantasy of this game possible due to statistical probability.

Only a very small number of any human group want to fight. The rest depending on their risk and shame tolerance, will look to every other tactic to survive and win before risking it all. You will never shame people into fighting who to begin with, can tolerate the shame of their own actions if, it causes them to survive more often than not by their perceived experience. What you perceive as shame is not what they perceive. Even if it makes you feel like you are somehow a more virtuous person then they are, which feels soooooo good because you can call them cowards. 

There is one certainty we all know about this game. In any given moment, if you don't have the skill which most don't. There is zilch chance of surviving by hanging it out there and fighting. And unless you are oriented to begin with as a fighter. All most average players will be doing, is handing themselves up to others as free kills all night long. The majority of average players in this game will never become the same level of competitiveness as the top of our food chain. Or become better fighters by spending all of their time dying.

And it always seems these stupid posts get started by the top of our food chain when the weaklings refuse to play nice and be slaughtered. Once you become the top of the food chain in our game, you become your own worst enemy in terms of finding fun. Everyone knows who you are, what you can do, and it becomes a "been there, done that" I'm not interested in playing with you. I'm paying $14.95 for my short time span of fun tonight, not to feed you.

Then their game becomes one of not feeding you. HOing, ack hugging, running, etc. Having you guys around is like those church softball teams that just happen to have all the members of the local AAA team going to that church. Not everyone in that congregation can ever be a AAA level ball player.

Be happy, at least these guys are willing to keep paying their $14.95 and hug ack every night. How come you guys aren't willing to dive in and root them out? Afraid of dying??
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2015, 03:53:59 PM »
Indeed, the way you play in a game has nothing to do IRL. Otherwise judging by Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto online gameplays ... we have issues  :rofl 

Anything online has nothing to do with real life. Facebook, an another great example. If your profile picture is from you in uniform 30 years ago, chances are you haven't done much in the last 30 years with your life and you let yourself go big time. But hey, post a close up profile pic where you look bad bellybutton and a couple of selected pics of you next to other people's cool stuffs or doing universally recognized cool stuff and you are Time's magazine person of the year in other's eyes.

The internet is packed with Pretenders, sometimes only because they can't see them for who they really are. Like that middle guy in a muscle shirt making a fool of himself flirting with a young gal. he forgot about his rounded belly and that his guns are only floppy jelly despite the eagle tattoo. But in his mind with his NRA cap standing by his paper warps filled 90's Corvette, he's the coolest guy he knows.  :joystick:

Now ... THAT ... was a rant or what?! :rofl
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 03:55:51 PM by SFRT - Frenchy »
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2015, 04:28:07 PM »

so let me guess you think Honor is not involved in AH....

in any game, the only thing i'm concerned with is if people are playing by the rules (not cheating). that's as honorable as you need be as far as i'm concerned.

if i dont like their style of play i might openly call their tactics lame, unskilled, etc.. i dont make judgements about their value as a human being though.

i said in the beginning i actually do play like you when i fly. i don't run, gang, pick or vulch... big deal.  it doesn't make me a better person. it doesn't mean anything outside of the game, and what it even means in the game is up for debate.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2015, 04:40:49 PM »
 :o

I know I said my last post but want to respond to you 2....

in any game, the only thing i'm concerned with is if people are playing by the rules (not cheating). that's as honorable as you need be as far as i'm concerned.

I can respect that!

Indeed, the way you play in a game has nothing to do IRL. Otherwise judging by Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto online gameplays ... we have issues  :rofl 

I look around this world everyday...have seen the depravity of humankind first hand...

we have very serious issues.

anyone who actually does look around... and does not see the issues.....

well there is nothing that I or anyone can say or do to open their eyes. :salute

I responded to you two specifically because I do have respect for both of ya.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2015, 05:14:51 PM »
Off course we have issues, big issues mostly created by technology as far as I'm concerned. But can you think of a better time to live in as of now? I mean we live in a country where you still can rise out of nothing and despite race or gender you can amount to someone. That's pretty huge. We did loose a lot in matter of Honor because we lost huge amounts in accountability. But was there ever a time where Honor was only a trait of the few like nowadays anyway?

Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2015, 05:21:50 PM »

of course it was done in the real world....

but like HTC has said and many here feel.... NOTHING about AH is actually replaying WW2...

Using your logic, then ACM shouldn't be used, after all it was used in WW2 and since AH isn't real life, then ACM has no bearing in this game. 

"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2015, 05:59:45 PM »

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2015, 06:06:26 PM »
Using your logic, then ACM shouldn't be used, after all it was used in WW2 and since AH isn't real life, then ACM has no bearing in this game.

:rofl :rofl

come on man you are smarter then that...

I didn't think I would have to explain it to one such as you

Dogfighting is built around BFM/ACM

this is a dogfighting game(among other things)

your "argument" is pointless and futile.

again didn't want to respond on the subject but your post is so asinine had to straighten you out. ;)