Author Topic: The future of Aces High?  (Read 2808 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
The future of Aces High?
« on: June 09, 2015, 03:46:33 PM »
Hi guys.  I haven't played in a while (except for four hours of the Target for Today scenario).  In fact, other than that, I don't think I've played since the Battle Over the Winter Line scenario.  A lot of things contribute to this; boredom, player numbers, dar being constantly down and the suggestion by a trainer that I wasn't very good.  I guess after 19 years he was right so I stopped playing.  I've still been lurking around the boards a little but not like I used to.

During this time I bought my first smart phone.  I was a relatively early adopter of cell phones but when I lost my job for over a year I dropped mine due to cost and went several years without one.  After moving a couple of years ago I'd bundled my TV, phone and Internet with Comcast but if my cable went out I was dead in the water.  So, for that reason and the fact that I hate Comcast I dropped their TV (the building I live in offers it free at a level I'm happy with) and phone service.

So being a first time smart phone owner and having always liked racing games on my PC I downloaded Real Racing 3 despite my vow to never support anything by EA (after the Air Warriors debacle).  I know, I know... in-app purchases... ugh!  Well, it turns out that I'm now about 1/3 of the way through the game both in terms of events and cars purchased (with in-race earnings) and have spent $1.99 in real money simply to get the in-app ads to turn off.  I had been thinking I'd be willing to pay for the game to not have the ads but an Internet search told me to make any in-app purchase and they'd go away so I essentially bought the game for $1.99.  It's fun, the graphics are awesome, the physics are good and you can compete online against other players.  All of this and I don't need anything other than my smart phone and $1.99.  Not only that but I have my choice of touch or tilt controls.

So while I've been whiling away my time playing Real Racing on my cell phone I've been pondering the decline of Aces High.  I notice that World of Tanks is also available for Android (but haven't tried it... yet).  How can a game like Aces High, that requires a pretty good computer, special controls (if you want to do it right) and a $15/mo. subscription compete with this?  Frankly, in the long run, I don't think it can without getting where the customers are, and there are more of them walking around with a smart phone than there are sitting in front of a computer at any given moment.

I'll admit that my PC racing games have higher fidelity than Real Racing but it's not that far off.  I have to believe that HT could create a suitable version of AH for mobile devices, if only as a means to draw people into the game on PC.  And if they don't go for the PC version that's OK as long as he can find a way to monetize the mobile app.

I know some think the new graphics update is going to draw people back into the game and, to some degree so do I but it's mostly not going to be new blood, but older players returning to check out the changes.

Buying this cell phone has really opened my eyes to the possibilities and as these things get more refined and more powerful I think it's going to be a rough road ahead for most PC games.  I had been thinking about upgrading my desktop a while back but am coming to the realization that the only reason to do that is for AH.  Outside of that my laptop and smart phone do everything I need.  How many people can you convince to spend $1000+ on a computer, $100 on controllers and $15/mo. on a subscription just to play a game?  A few I'm sure but it seems to me the competitive landscape of PC gaming is changing and doing so rapidly.

I'm sure HT is already thinking about this if not working on it.  If not he may be the last buggy whip manufacturer.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
Re: The future of Aces High?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 04:18:55 PM »
/ i recommend two beers, some food and two shots with your ladyfriend then call back in the morning.  :cheers:

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 04:29:45 PM »
PC games are thriving right now. It's the best time ever to me a PC gamer. Most major console titles are also released on PC and the F2P genre of online games are almost PC exclusive. Indie game developers are also almost exclusively developing for the PC platform.
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 05:39:57 PM »
This OP is the best reason that the BBS should only be available to paying players.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 05:49:51 PM »
This OP is the best reason that the BBS should only be available to paying players.

Ummm............he is a paying player

And I 100% disagree with you. Have to be a paying player to still be part of the community?  Moronic idea.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 05:52:02 PM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 05:55:54 PM »
PC games are thriving right now. It's the best time ever to me a PC gamer. Most major console titles are also released on PC and the F2P genre of online games are almost PC exclusive. Indie game developers are also almost exclusively developing for the PC platform.

While PC games are enjoying a slight revival and doing increased sales these last couple of years compared to the previous few years (when PC gaming declined due to the economy downturn), console games still make up the majority of game sales.  Nor are F2P online games almost exclusive to PC games, you'll find that F2P online games make up the majority of mobile gaming platforms and are marketed towards the mobile market much more than PCs, due to the popularity of mobile gaming outside of the US.  In addition, indie developers aren't almost exclusively developing for the PC platform, again mobile gaming and console platforms are popular with indie developers because of the lower cost to develop for mobile and console platforms and don't require to sell their souls to get major funding to develop a PC game.

The founder of CD Projekt recently commented on the fact if it wasn't for them developing The Witcher 3 for both consoles and PCs, they'd never would have been able to make the game that they did if it was just a PC exclusive.  They wouldn't have had the resources or the money to make the game as they envisioned it.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 05:58:27 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 06:02:06 PM »
Ummm............he is a paying player

And I 100% disagree with you. Have to be a paying player to still be part of the community?  Moronic idea.

World War 2 online forum ran similar to what we have here then they changed it to only paid subscriptions could post to cut down on the endless grieving from people who weren't playing the game I guess but all in all it hurt the community as a whole. everyone has ideas or suggestions weither there paying subscribers or not and they should be listened to.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 06:15:35 PM »
So, can any of you tell me how I would run AH2 on this thing?

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-edge-pro

I keep seeing companies who wanted us all to move onto smart this and smart that coming out with PC compatible this PC compatible that Win8 OS is loaded.

Anyone remember playing AW on a 15 inch monitor? I watch kids around me playing very complex games happily on things I can barely make out what is who while looking over their shoulders.

The biggest mistake you can make in assessing anything, is to assume your perspective from your position of "this is as obvious as..." is what is obvious. It gets worse as you get older creating unnecessary angst over phantoms you project into your perception analysis. You let emotions under the guise of experience trump digging for the real facts. You can really depress yourself all by your self.

PC as a standard based on an OS with peripherals is not dead. And it won't disappear any time soon. I suspect the iconoclastic tower concept will. But, something to hook up a joystick and play AH will be around for some time. The joystick might become a loose definition but, something to twiddle. Kids love to twiddle and manufactures love to make money.

BaldEgl and Ack Ack are two ends of a spectrum.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 06:42:34 PM »
Ack-Ack, you have a tendency to extrapolate ad absurdum from what people write. While console gaming is leading in sales PC gaming has been leading in revenue since 2010, and that's the important statistic. Obviously if you can make a game for both markets that's much better than just one.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 06:46:03 PM »
Ack-Ack, you have a tendency to extrapolate ad absurdum from what people write. While console gaming is leading in sales PC gaming has been leading in revenue since 2010, and that's the important statistic. Obviously if you can make a game for both markets that's much better than just one.

(Image removed from quote.)

ummmm you do know that AK-AK works in the gaming industry and has for years.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 06:52:41 PM »
And?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 06:54:50 PM »
Well working for a major gaming software company I would think he has information at hand that someone NOT in the industry has and so can make better calls. Meaning I would trust his information more than any pictures you post.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 06:58:44 PM »
That's your prerogative. I for one don't trust what anyone says on the internet (or in general) unless they back it up with something. Saying you work in the industry is not nearly enough.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 06:58:49 PM »

I've been paying longer than you've been around and still am.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline USAFCAPcTSgt

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 08:59:29 PM »
I have a smart phone also. I downloaded for free a radio controlled airplane app. You can barely operate the plane and it's a touch screen game.

Aces High is too complex a game to be handled as an app. Even a tablet would be slightly better.

A home gaming system would even have a hard time competing with a PC.

The only true future for this game to increase the player base is social media, player referrals and Hitech Creations implementing a broadbased advertising strategy.

As a former salesman, the biggest selling point is the game is FREE!!!  Next, is low monthly subscription rate.  Unbeatable combination.

I am just a basic computer user that surfs the net and plays games and stream Netflix and Hulu. There are dozens of Aces High players who know way more than me and can create social media ways to get the message out.

Simple ways :

1. Facebook
2. Twitter
3. YouTube
4. Squad websites

They are used. Just need a way for someone to correlate an online movement. Someone who understands the social media. Jusy need someone to step up and carry the ball.

HiTech does what they feel is right. It's their game. Players can help spread the word.

If I win a lotto jackpot, I will open an Aces High internet cafe. Set up 50 gaming stations and 50 game accounts. People walk in and sit down and play free of charge. Get them hooked. Maybe, Hitech let me sell some Aces High T-shirts and stuff to offset cost.  :)

Always ideas to be tossed around.