Author Topic: Upcoming Scenario Format - Your Opportunity To Weigh In  (Read 3579 times)

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
Re: Upcoming Scenario Format - Your Opportunity To Weigh In
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2015, 01:46:13 PM »
The 12 hour scenario was by far the most populated special event ive been in.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2015, 02:02:11 PM »
Artik
You are not required to fly the whole 12 hours. I only flew 3 hours and that was a lot of fun. The good thing about 12H scenarios is that you can easily find a window that suits your hours, while regular frames scenarios require more commitment and are often difficult for me to join.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2015, 04:34:08 PM »
Great feedback all, keep it coming.  Got some great new ideas, support for existing ideas and even shedding light on what isn't that much fun.
Regarding the 12 hour scenario, that's going to be a once a year thing, running too many of those really limits the overall design options, only so many physical ways to keep 12 hours of activity going. 
We spent a great deal of time figuring out how to balance the number of bombs in the air against how many targets there were, against how many times you could get to target.  This all had to be set against keeping the frame alive for the full 4 hours. Had an objective been taken out in the first hour, that is 3 hours to lose people due to total boredom or "wiped, i'm out". 
That does severely limit the design so we may run into boredom.  Of course, always looking for the new idea that makes that concept irrelevant but that is a major part of the design, keeping the game play going the distance.

I do like the idea of a Euro evolution event, not unlike our Pacific event where we started in Pearl and ended over Japan.  Each frame, new planes, new resources, advances and losses per frame sets up the next frame, each frame triggers new start points and map configuration. 

Could even introduce an element of specific targets either gaining resources or denying resources to ultimately either acquire the ME262 technology or prevent it from coming online.

I'd like to grow into more "board game" elements of the events, where you are not only working towards objectives, but changing the map and ultimately the front.  Certain territory gains give you a ground advantage, others gain an air advantage, picking targets to secure to allow a strategic choice of targets, not simply a points gain.

We laid the foundation in the Pacific war, the Euro map is perfect for this.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2015, 05:41:51 PM »
North Africa, likeBozon described sounds good. Would it make sense or be possible to the siege of Malta and the Camus convoy? Is it possible to have ground units implemented in a good way or is that to complex/difficult. I'm not sure if the current style of gv play translates well but there seem to be a lot of enthusiasts.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2015, 05:49:32 PM »
The 12 hour format just screams BOB.  It's made for it.

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2015, 06:12:14 PM »
I'd like to see Eastern Front come up again.  I'd like to see it with only fighters and attack aircraft.  (A20's, Tu-2's, 410's, 110's, 87's and Il2's as your ordnance carriers), thus giving even the "bombers" a chance to take on the fighters.  I know when we flew the A20's in Red Storm/Krup Steal we had a blast taking on the fighters. 

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2015, 08:55:13 PM »
How about The World at War, a 6-8 week scenario encompassing major battles in all theaters in chronological order with one week dedicated to each battle.

Plane sets would, of course, change based on theater but also on timeframe.

Some potential battles (In no particular order): Battle of Britain, Pearl Harbor, Kursk, Black Thursday...

New maps, new planes and new objectives every week.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2015, 09:30:28 PM »

Instead, I would limit the event to 100 players initially. I know a bunch of you will disagree with me, but the event needs a little exclusivity.

I think this would be a mistake. I was able to fly the last frame when this was run, but there was no way I could, or would, be able to commit to 12 hours, or even a fraction thereof.  I have no statistics, but I'll bet I wasn't alone on that.

- oldman

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2015, 09:40:16 PM »
N Africa

"What if" scenario?

The Battle of Midway was successful for the Rising Sun and now the Japanese have 5 CVs and Nagumo's occupation forces pointed directly at Pearl Harbor.  Can Pearl Harbor take another attack?? Can all of the remaining U.S. CVs plus land based a/c repel the Japanese Naval horde!!??
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2015, 10:06:55 PM »
How about The World at War, a 6-8 week scenario encompassing major battles in all theaters in chronological order with one week dedicated to each battle.

Plane sets would, of course, change based on theater but also on timeframe.

Some potential battles (In no particular order): Battle of Britain, Pearl Harbor, Kursk, Black Thursday...

New maps, new planes and new objectives every week.

Only issue with that is the constantly changing units/numbers, sides, etc

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2015, 10:39:19 PM »

..... Wait.....hmmm.....oh well, now this is something to chew on.

Pac, enter the war, evolve into Europe.... 3 Pac frames, 5 Euro, there could be a ground heavy campaign, one focused on air to air dogfights, one mega bomber, one mega counter attack, there is a great deal of potential here.

You might have just caused me a great deal of work Sir.  The different maps and objectives, did that in Pac, the long term planning and changing participants with a stable leadership, did it in The 12 Hour caffeine rush from hell.

My ONLY hesitation, is it sustainable over 8 weeks, this would be a butt ton of work for the leadership team.  But my gawd that would be fun.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2015, 11:05:54 PM »
I do like the idea of a Euro evolution event, not unlike our Pacific event where we started in Pearl and ended over Japan.  Each frame, new planes, new resources, advances and losses per frame sets up the next frame, each frame triggers new start points and map configuration. 

Could even introduce an element of specific targets either gaining resources or denying resources to ultimately either acquire the ME262 technology or prevent it from coming online.

I'd like to grow into more "board game" elements of the events, where you are not only working towards objectives, but changing the map and ultimately the front.  Certain territory gains give you a ground advantage, others gain an air advantage, picking targets to secure to allow a strategic choice of targets, not simply a points gain.

We laid the foundation in the Pacific war, the Euro map is perfect for this.

Yes, yes!  These are were I was trying to go with my posts. :aok
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline KCDitto

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2015, 11:36:33 PM »
WOW!

Hey GUYS, on the 12 hour thing, YOU DO NOT have to fly all hours. We had the largest turn out because people from all time zones could find a time they could fly. It worked great. I had guys showing up and leaving all the time. I think it worked great and no one will demand yo fly all 12.

Great input guys. A lot to chew on here.

As was mentioned a few times....... 12 HOUR BoB!  BoB just screams 12 hours  :x  EAGLE DAY   ALL DAY  from the first early morning raids and STUKAS KILLING RADAR! The attack from the EAST. I would be ALL OVER THIS!   :aok

I am not a fan of PAC war, but still fly them in fairness to you BLUE PLANE SQUADS..... you need something to shoot at.

What about a BODENPLATTE? Luftwaffe early morning raid with allies on the deck. All low level fights. Just a thought.
Ditto  "WHITE 11"
"Masters of the Air" Scenario -JG54

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2015, 04:30:32 AM »
Maybe an Arnhem scenario, resupplying and defend paratroopers areas.
Medium level bombers and Jabo from both sides, fighter cover etc.

setup Axis_
Ju88s (limited)
109g6, 109g14,fw190a8,fw190f8

Setup Allies
A20's
P47d25,P47d40,P51b/d,P38j/L
Spitfire IX, Spitfire VIII
typhoon
c47's

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2015, 04:40:47 AM »
Problem with Arnhem is that it would be a very uneven fight. With some few exceptions LW were totaly unable to threat the C-47:s so either we have it like irl with Lw outnumbered by 10:1 or something like that or we give the LW an even chance and having the goons slaughtered.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking