Author Topic: Red Tails  (Read 2257 times)

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
Re: Red Tails
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2015, 11:01:11 PM »
Sorry the movie was just another love story with no story line

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 01:24:23 AM »
Wasn't there a P-51 that Ho's an Me-262 and the 51 pilot gets riddled with bullets?

/think that is when I walked out...I refer to such movies like this as "Movies never to be named again..." same goes for Pearl Harbor. Then again 99% of the audience probably doesn't know we didn't have nuclear POWERED SHIPS at pearl harbor.
JG 52

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2015, 04:30:51 AM »
What is less mmmmm historical?  Using authentic equipment but with incorrect markings / mistaken identification, OR computer generated models   :airplane: ?

I think we are a bit shaded after playing with our cartoon aircraft (and dem good ones too!).

I get the rub, but when I want authenticity, I pull out the CAF disk and watch hours of real WW2 and other period war planes. 

Here is another example:  My wife changed careers (after injury) from nurse with an oncology unit, and re-trained to be certified paralegal.  Now, I can't watch any Law and Order, OR Scrubs (actually just about any show that has a scene in an operating room, or courtroom), without her pointing out obvious flawed sterile procedures or legal proceedings.   :bhead And it truly gets under her skin, while I'm like thinking, "Well, they are acting, and I don't think anyone actually got hurt or had their rights stepped on..... can we get back to the plot?"

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 07:14:25 AM »
I also thought the Red Tails was a poor movie, cliché ridden and often ridiculous. I can tolerate errors, hey it's just a movie but I switched off half way through in disgust. I felt it was a disservice to the real pilots. It made them look like a bunch of cowboys. Exactly the opposite of what they were in reality. Benjamin O Davis must be spinning in his grave.

When it comes to aerial sequences I often wince at the inaccuracies but I liked Top Gun when it came out even though I knew almost every aspect of the air combat sequences were ridiculous. Plus the idea of a civilian female 'air combat' expert was silly, at the time. But Kelly McGillis was cute and I could overlook that.

But movies and TV have to mess with authenticity for the sake of entertainment. Like Chili's example. My wife is a Laboratory Manager in a hospital. She loves her hospital dramas and mostly suspends belief but occasionally points out where they get it really wrong. Like getting a test done in five minutes with a full diagnosis of the problem. If only! Plus don't watch a legal drama with her sister the lawyer!

But if there's a good story with the movie you can easily ignore the failings. Red Tails was not one of those movies.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 07:16:17 AM by cpxxx »

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 07:56:25 AM »
When I watched it I got the impression that it was a movie for children like star wars or raiders of the lost arc. In that context it isn't bad.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2015, 06:26:43 PM »
I must be talking to myself :).

How many of you experts turned off Flying Tigers with John Wayne?  Did Claire Chennault turn over in his grave?

It was aimed at a younger not educated on WW2 aviation crowd in the hopes it might get them to pick up a book.

What's amazing to me is all the cartoon airplane experts who claim to be experts :)

So let me illustrate my point one more time

Oldest son way back when post Top Gun watching (minus a few scenes 😀). Probably should have walked out of course cause it was so far fetched as telling a story always takes second place to rivet counters....

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 06:44:31 PM by Guppy35 »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2015, 01:10:10 AM »
We hear you, we just don't agree.

They didn't have to make it so campy just to tell a good story.

Replace that idiotic tail flip with an extended dog fight, and you've got a much cooler scene AND you don't violate physics.

AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2015, 03:04:14 AM »
I must be talking to myself :).

How many of you experts turned off Flying Tigers with John Wayne?  Did Claire Chennault turn over in his grave?

It was aimed at a younger not educated on WW2 aviation crowd in the hopes it might get them to pick up a book.

What's amazing to me is all the cartoon airplane experts who claim to be experts :)

So let me illustrate my point one more time

(Image removed from quote.)

Oldest son way back when post Top Gun watching (minus a few scenes 😀). Probably should have walked out of course cause it was so far fetched as telling a story always takes second place to rivet counters....

guppy, I think your kid has the same expression that merlin had "you gonna do what????"

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2015, 01:10:56 PM »
We hear you, we just don't agree.

They didn't have to make it so campy just to tell a good story.

Lucas had commented in an interview somewhere that he was going more for the Flying Tigers propaganda type feel than realism.

Replace that idiotic tail flip with an extended dog fight, and you've got a much cooler scene AND you don't violate physics.

Practically any movie violates physics, and the expectation is the masses can't follow it and get bored.  Most moviemakers think people are idiots and treat them as such.

Has an actual technical fighter v fighter dogfight ever been put to film in a popular movie?  I can't think of one offhand though I'm sure there are plenty of airplane movies I've missed.

People saw 5 seconds of indy kick flip kill enemy unexpectedly, they understood 'that guy is apparently good pilot'.  Takes less time than a minute or so of rolling scissors as the two work back and forth toward advantage culminating in one of them getting shot down.

I honestly think done correctly, it could be an awesome sequence.  Tension building as they get closer and closer to a firing solution.  But it would need to be done extremely well to allow people who don't understand ACM to understand what's going on.  It's a lot easier to use on of the tropes airplane movies have used over the years.

I was WAY more irked at the HO with the 262 where the ground crew said, "We've secretly replaced Klaus's 30mm cannons with 8mm machine guns.  Let's see if he notices!"

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2015, 02:49:02 PM »
Sorry the movie was just another love story with no story line

i like love stories :)

i thought the film was alright :)

Brokeback Mountain won a oscar and it was full of faults, to many to mention, so Pipz said. :)

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2015, 04:53:44 PM »
Watched red tails last night. Sooo disappointed in how they portrayed everyone and everything.

No one acted like a officer, none of those pilots acted anything more then your common street kids who somehow knew how to fly planes.

The only part i liked was the p51's all leave the bombers alone and you can hear clearly "rable rable rable rable" as they flew off. I LAUGHED at that, hard.

Otherwise i give it a negative 5. Yes it was that bad.
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2015, 05:01:23 PM »
Also gave up after less than half of the film. it had the potential to be a great movie but its not, The flight scenes just s**k and the rest of the moive isnt doing anything to help it up.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2015, 05:36:09 PM »
No one has answered my question yet.  How many of you turned off John Wayne in Flying Tigers?  It's essentially the same film.  What part of that movie was an actual representation of the real tigers beyond the name?

If you turned that one off for the same reasons as Redtails I can accept your argument.  If you didn't, explain why this film is different?
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 05:42:58 PM »
Havent seen it.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2015, 06:27:38 PM »
Don't bother to understand Guppy, it is just the current state of know it all we have been in.  Seriously, if we would all man up and tell the truth, a lot would admit to have been turned off to the movie simply on subject matter. 

All that matters is those wonderful kids of yours, continue to be brought up in a loving home.   Let them know that they will always find vocal opposition to whatever they find endearing.  That is simply what many, not only us Americans, have fought and even died to protect, "freedom" including freedom of speech.  Please sign to your youngest for me....

"Be brave."
    - Chilli  :salute