Author Topic: Red Tails  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
Re: Red Tails
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2015, 06:38:07 PM »
I dont like films like Top Gun and Iron Eagle either for the same reasons, so unrealistic its hard to watch them. Memphis Belle is a better one, it feels a lot more like the real deal.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2015, 09:53:44 PM »
I dont like films like Top Gun and Iron Eagle either for the same reasons, so unrealistic its hard to watch them. Memphis Belle is a better one, it feels a lot more like the real deal.

That's interesting that you mention the Belle as they crucified the actual history in that one.  I had the chance to talk to some 91st BG Pilots after that film and they hated it for how it portrayed how a B-17 crew acted.

On the flip sign my oldest son loved it and it lead him to build some B-17 models and do some reading on the Mighty Eighth.

So if you are going to use it as your example it's a poor one in terms of its accuracy as the reaction of the guys from the same Bomb Group as the Belle crew hated it, but it did do its job in getting a kid to open a book :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2015, 12:55:51 AM »
Atleast it doesnt violate basic fysics, the planes behave like planes. The basic story is of course, as most movies, very loosely based on a true story. (They use the name of a real plane but thats it).  I dont demand films to be 100% accurate.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Vadjan-Sama

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2015, 08:27:46 AM »
Atleast it doesnt violate basic fysics, the planes behave like planes. The basic story is of course, as most movies, very loosely based on a true story. (They use the name of a real plane but thats it).  I dont demand films to be 100% accurate.

Agreed, theres a baseline that you need to follow even if you want to make and action/historical movie, if you make some sci-fi/action/war/non-historical movie well, your limit is the sky, but when you make a movie based on historical event you need to keep that base line in what is that... The point that make me think this movie will suck was first 262's dive on the B17's... the damage made by the "30mm" I was like "wtf... there was a 262 with a 12mm?" and the HO's omg, I was just thinking "we need those 262's in here" Was like a Hurri-I Hoing the pony
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 08:35:03 AM by Vadjan-Sama »
"I wish people would use the wish list forum to post their brilliant ideas, and be smart enough to not post all their stupid ones.

But I am under no disillusions of my wish ever being fulfilled."

HiTech

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2015, 08:44:26 AM »
It's somewhat sad that the best ACM sequence in recent memory is the climax from the first "How to Train Your Dragon" movie. 

Roped him, shot the wing root, made him compress and face shot him for good measure. Lost vertical stabilizer, ditched. Perk Points awarded:1.55 (It would have been more but Toothless the Night Fury has like a 5 ENY. He's basically a dragonized LA 7.)

At any rate, I'm hoping the upcoming "Masters of the Air" miniseries will be better both in terms of historical and technical accuracy.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2015, 08:53:18 AM »
It's somewhat sad that the best ACM sequence in recent memory is the climax from the first "How to Train Your Dragon" movie. 

Roped him, shot the wing root, made him compress and face shot him for good measure. Lost vertical stabilizer, ditched. Perk Points awarded:1.55 (It would have been more but Toothless the Night Fury has like a 5 ENY. He's basically a dragonized LA 7.)

At any rate, I'm hoping the upcoming "Masters of the Air" miniseries will be better both in terms of historical and technical accuracy.

:rofl :rofl :rofl :aok

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2015, 11:28:10 AM »

So your concern is that the airplane flying isn't accurate enough, but you aren't worried about the history. 

So the notion that the movie loosely based on a true story, as Redtails, Flying Tigers and Memphis Belle are, in name only, are worthy only if the flying scenes fit your notion of accurate?

For me, if they get someone to pick up a book or search the web to learn the story afterwards make them worthy.

So we will have to agree to disagree :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Spitter

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2015, 12:49:49 PM »
The Tuskegee Airmen was much better. It still had some faults, of course, nothing is perfect. It at least skips the love story, and includes lots of historical data at the end. It's much much better than redtails.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2015, 12:58:41 PM »
My son (4) enjoyed Red Tails and my daughter (12) watched some of it as well. That said, my daughter and son are now flying in Aces High and I'd like to see the movie was one of the catalysts.

That said, if a movie can get a new generation interested in the genre and the history, how can the movie be bad?

(here is my son, getting brainwashed into P38s at a much younger age)

Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2015, 01:31:52 PM »
Were they all sold out of P-38s are caca jammies?
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2015, 01:33:51 PM »
One more thing I wanted to add;

HBO is planning on releasing a mini-series related to the air war over France and Germany in WWII. I probably won't let me my children watch it until they get a little older because they still need to be kids. Red Tails allowed them some exposure without the truly adult themes that would of limited the potential viewers.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2015, 02:41:13 PM »
One more thing I wanted to add;

HBO is planning on releasing a mini-series related to the air war over France and Germany in WWII. I probably won't let me my children watch it until they get a little older because they still need to be kids. Red Tails allowed them some exposure without the truly adult themes that would of limited the potential viewers.

Yes, that's "Masters of the Air", being produced by Hanks and Speilberg as the third part of their WWII miniseries trilogy. (After "Band of Brothers" and "The Pacific".

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"