Author Topic: Cecil killed with a bow and arrow  (Read 8732 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Cecil killed with a bow and arrow
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2015, 09:12:07 PM »
At least it was not a whole herd of elephants left to rot in the sun for ivory.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2015, 09:21:15 PM »
At least it was not a whole herd of elephants left to rot in the sun for ivory.
I doubt there will be any elephants left in the wild by the time I die.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2015, 09:41:35 PM »
If laws were broken, justice should be served.   In Africa, the hunter has very little control over the details and how a hunt takes place.  Hunts, licenses, dates, areas and often specific animals to be taken are tightly controlled by the Professional Hunters (outfitter/guide) and land owners.  Its possible the dentist may have known what was going on but its very plausible that he figured everything was by the book. I haven't read all the details yet.

African lions are not an endangered species. 
AMAX  in game

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2015, 10:40:34 PM »
My father rule as a hunter was to never shoot anything that had a collar. This hunter knew something was up when he released the arrow. Sneaking up on the king of the jungle is very dangerous especially within bow range.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2015, 10:51:13 PM »
To clarify my previous posts, I have nothing against hunting. Been hunting for many years myself. However, poaching is a despicable crime which hurts not only wildlife, but legitimate hunters as well.

I used to hunt.  I loved going out with my Grandfather for quail, dove, and rabbits.  After he died I kind of lost interest.  Went on a couple of deer hunts with a guy who's dad had 450 acres and year round deer feeders.  Seemed like a lazy and shifty way to do it.  So I gave it up.  Now I'd have a hard time pulling a trigger on an animal unless it was threatening me.

That said I have no issue with people who do it and find enjoyment in it so long as they're following the law.  Granted I have teased some 'mighty deer hunters' telling them that if they wanted to make it sporting they should go out in a loin cloth with a buck knife.  That gets some of the dumb ones pretty spun up and it's amusing.  Or back when I was playing AH I'd give our office hunter guff telling him that I hunted people and didn't have a bag limit.  ;)

But I agree Predator.  If you're poaching you're a piece of filth and you're giving people who do things correctly and within the law a huge black eye.  And sadly thanks to the internet the drama queens will scream the loudest. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2015, 11:03:43 PM »
this person would be unrecognizable if they gave me ten minutes with him.

that's my one and only post on this subject.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2015, 11:22:48 PM »
You monster!
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2015, 01:33:15 AM »
I support Zack's rage rant. 

It is unacceptable!  And dentists are pure evil...

I have three sets of teeth, well two new sets one set was from a rummage sale which i use when i fly AH, they tend to fall out when i get all excited when owning Bruv or joker :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2015, 02:20:08 AM »
African lions are not an endangered species.
A lot of whales aren't either but you see how nut jobs freak out when we hunt them.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2015, 02:21:12 AM »
this person would be unrecognizable if they gave me ten minutes with him.

that's my one and only post on this subject.
He killed a massive lion with a bow and arrow, what possible chance do you think you'd have?
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline GSakis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2015, 02:36:30 AM »
He killed a massive lion with a bow and arrow, what possible chance do you think you'd have?

What ink meant is he would tattoo him all over.

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2015, 04:55:57 AM »
Dentists are simply butchers who failed the exam
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2015, 05:02:26 AM »
While I'm no hunter and would prefer that people would go after animals for fun with cameras instead of guns or bows, I understand the economic realities of wildlife preserves and I'm not shocked by people paying big amounts of money to get the right to kill some animals. As I'm not anymore shocked by pictures of them posing with their lion trophy than by others posing with a dead rabbit or a freshly caught carp.

OTOH I'm appalled by the violence of the mass- and social-media reactions against this guy, dentist-lion-killer or not. Drunk drivers who wipe out a whole family, rapists and murderers don't get so much worldwide outrage. I can't imagine what his kids must go through. So +1 with Bustr.

Go watch this educational speech, it's time to step out of the emotional bandwagon and go back to measure and reason : http://www.ted.com/talks/jon_ronson_what_happens_when_online_shaming_spirals_out_of_control
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2015, 05:26:33 AM »
While I'm no hunter and would prefer that people would go after animals for fun with cameras instead of guns or bows, I understand the economic realities of wildlife preserves and I'm not shocked by people paying big amounts of money to get the right to kill some animals. As I'm not anymore shocked by pictures of them posing with their lion trophy than by others posing with a dead rabbit or a freshly caught carp.

OTOH I'm appalled by the violence of the mass- and social-media reactions against this guy, dentist-lion-killer or not. Drunk drivers who wipe out a whole family, rapists and murderers don't get so much worldwide outrage. I can't imagine what his kids must go through. So +1 with Bustr.

Go watch this educational speech, it's time to step out of the emotional bandwagon and go back to measure and reason : http://www.ted.com/talks/jon_ronson_what_happens_when_online_shaming_spirals_out_of_control

Hunters and guides in Africa (and here for that fact) are one of the main reasons species like the rhino and elephant still exist. Their money is what supports their conservation, buys millions of acres of land and are one of the first line of defense against poachers. That is fact..
As much as people hate it, this dentist by spending that money has done more than most of the social media bleeding hearts out there.  That said I believe he's still a jrkoff for shooting a collared animal. That is an animal being tracked and studied to assist in conserving the species, and the fact that the animal was a local favorite being used to educate people on lions. That and the issue he had with the Bear he took a few years ago shows that he may be questionable when it comes to his hunting ethics. I'm also not thrilled he went after such a large animal with a bow....the thought of wounding an animal is every hunters nightmare....and while I don't condone bow hunting I don't/won't  do it.

Like it or not, the people (me as a hunter included) who are vilified for hunting are the #1 contributors to the conservation of not only game animals but other species as well. Thankfully we know the good we do, and will continue to do.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:43:13 AM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2015, 05:28:57 AM »
He only wounded with an arrow. He killed with a rifle almost 2 days later.