Author Topic: Patch 70 Anti-aliasing  (Read 905 times)

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
Patch 70 Anti-aliasing
« on: August 15, 2015, 10:09:14 AM »
I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I can't get the new post processing anti-aliasing system working.
I have a Core I5 sytem with Win7 64, AMD 7970 video card.
I set the AMD drivers to use application settings.
I have tried the AH video settings with the slider all the way to the left, as well as every other position.
In game, I have tried toggling the anti-aliasing checkbox as well as some of the other ones available.

Did I miss something?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 10:19:02 AM by streakeagle »
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Re: Patch 70 Anti-aliasing
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 01:00:05 PM »
Eagle,

That all depends on what it is that you are or aren't seeing?????  Maybe a screenshot to show what you see wrong. 

As I read the test goals, you correctly set Antialiasing values to "Application Controlled".  You might want to check to make sure these settings are "profiled" to the correct EXE file (noted that mine was an old ahalpha.exe, and changed it to the current = because I have saved old patch versions in different folders, most won't have that problem).

Also, there are some values that might need to be switched "off" to prevent them from "forcing" AA values on.  I have AA FXAA OFF, AA Gama correction OFF, AA mode Application Controlled, AA setting N/A, and AA Transparency OFF. EDIT:  IGNORE RED TEXT.  I had best results leaving these other settings ON.

In game video setting screen NONE.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 02:17:19 PM by Chilli »

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 02:13:13 PM »
Now Eagle has me retracting earlier post so I will edit it.  I found that turning off FXAA in video card control panel, leaves the game looking very blocky.  :uhoh  The only effect that the new check boxes for AA, bloom, star burst, etc have is on the rendering of the sun effects.  :cool: At least that is all that I can see.  Maybe this was the intent.

Looks very cool anyway I tested except for the FXAA off in graphics card's control panel.  :salute

Framerates stay high and stutters are all but gone.

Clouds and boat wakes next  ...... :headscratch:  Shamefully prodding.....  dangling single malt Speyburn in front of my face..............

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 06:21:47 PM »
As I understood it and some have reported, patch 70 was supposed to provide built in AA.
Set the video driver (AMD Catalyst in my case) to use application settings and use the AA checkbox under post process to enable effects.
I varied every checkbox, slider, and setting that I thought could even possibly cause an issue.
But no matter what combination I use, there is no AA unless I force it on in the video driver and disable post process effects.
I hope these links work:

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:27:51 PM by streakeagle »

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 11:16:56 AM »
I have Nvidia video card and it seems like I am having different experiences from the AMD or Radeon cards.

A quick survey:  What video card and video RAM are you testing?

Nvidia GTX 465 w/1 GB

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 12:54:15 PM »
I have Nvidia video card and it seems like I am having different experiences from the AMD or Radeon cards.

A quick survey:  What video card and video RAM are you testing?

Nvidia GTX 465 w/1 GB

Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury X w/ 4Gb HBM using Cat WHQL 15.7.1 drivers
Cat 15.7.1 drivers set up in default settings.
Note: It may help to make a driver profile for the Alpha & copy the default settings to it.
Alpha Video Settings AA slider set to None
All Alpha in-game boxes checked in left flip-up section in Graphics Details (Bloom, Lens Flare, Anti-Alias, Star Burst)

All works on my box.

:salute
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 01:50:15 PM by Pudgie »
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 02:05:05 PM »
So Pudgie,

Do you see any difference other than sun effects, when you uncheck the "Enable AA" box?

The only differences that I am able to see are very obvious changes to those effects and nothing else.  Is it possible this was the test intentions, or was there another AA effect that others are able to see that I am not?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 02:27:37 PM »
Patch note said AA was added to post-lighting.

Action: Added Anti-Aliasing to post lighting.
   This will currently cause ICONS to appear a bit odd.
   Be sure to disable any forced anti-aliasing in your video card driver and the Aces High Video Settings before using this.

I toggle the AA checkbox and I don't see a difference.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 02:46:58 PM by FLS »

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 05:37:44 PM »
So Pudgie,

Do you see any difference other than sun effects, when you uncheck the "Enable AA" box?

The only differences that I am able to see are very obvious changes to those effects and nothing else.  Is it possible this was the test intentions, or was there another AA effect that others are able to see that I am not?

I haven't ran the Alpha w/ the in-game post processing AA unchecked, Chilli. Just had the AA slider in Alpha Video Settings set to None as per instructions given by Skuzzy.

I may look at that going forward to see what happens...................... ....

From what I saw the Alpha post processing AA (shader-applied anti-aliasing instead of the normal GPU-applied anti-aliasing) that the Alpha is using now shows to work very well as I couldn't pick up any differences on the rendered rounded graphics edges w/ the Alpha using the new post processing AA vs the Alpha using the AA enabled in Video Settings......images looked the same.

The big difference between the 2 modes is the GPU usage numbers that I saw using MSI Afterburner........this is what confirms to me that the new AA is working as it should offload the vid card GPU of some of the load w/o sacrificing performance.

I noticed that you had enabled the Nvidia FXAA setting in your vid card driver............isn't that Nvidia trying to do the same thing from the driver level (post processing AA) & wouldn't that cause some kind of conflict w/ the Alpha setting enabled to tell the vid card to do the same thing?

Just curious here................

Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 06:33:05 PM »
I just got done testing the Alpha w/ the post processing AA unchecked & I also couldn't detect any change.

The only change that I could see is when I checked the disable post lighting checkbox the post AA folder went away so I'm assuming that the post AA is tied to the post lighting effects (as Skuzzy had mentioned) & so the post AA is anti-aliasing the post lighting effects...................... ..

So if this is so then Chilli you did see the AA effects as they should be aliasing the lighting effects according to what I just read.

Hmmmmm...........

I'm gonna run this again & this time pay more attention to the lighting effects to see if I can pick it up.

Since I am running this Alpha on a 2560x1440 res monitor this may be harder to see for me......as would the reg AA as well.............

What's your monitor res Chilli so that I can reset mine to it so that we can see similarly?

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 07:08:47 PM »
I just got done testing this & yes, Chilli I can see the AA effects w/ the sun & lighting effects in the Alpha.
The other AA lighting effects are much more pronounced (Bloom, Lens Flare & Star Burst to make the sun & the light coming off\from it look more realistic) but I could pick up the AA effects looking at the edges of the other effects while switching the AA checkbox on & off (edges looked slightly cleaner w/ the AA box checked than unchecked).

So the new Alpha post lighting AA is working.................

Somehow I got it in my mind that this new AA was anti-aliasing the entire graphics imagery so I was focusing on the edges of the plane & any objects...................... .............

Maybe it will be used to anti-alias the graphics objects as well going forward.............

Good stuff!

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 09:03:20 PM »
New system (etc) as noted in the Alpha closed forum (posted Dxdiag). All good here. Frame rates solid 60 fps at 4k resolution using 4k textures. Everything is application controlled per your instructions and everything is looking sweet! Well done!
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 03:33:50 AM »
Pudgie,

My resolution is purposefully set low at 1280 x 720.  I noticed only a difference in contrast from AA enabled check box checked/ unchecked.

I however, did not see any antialiasing effects on anything other than the post lighting inside of the cockpit, especially when looking into the sun.

Without FXAA on in my video card, the shadows inside the cockpit along with all other angular lines were blocky, suggesting that "Enabled AA" is either not working with my card or drivers OR was not intended to replace FXAA.

I will wait to hear more from others on the matter, hopefully HTC staff... to see if there is a difference between manufacturers or not.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 01:55:50 PM »
There is a bug currently in the anti alias (btw it is the same as nvideas FXAA) that it is current not working correctly. I found and fixed it for the next release.

HiTech

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 06:23:47 PM »
Nice to know I am not crazy or clueless.