Author Topic: Beyond dumb  (Read 3452 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Beyond dumb
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2015, 12:35:21 PM »
I think the confusion on right of way is that, at least here, the vehicle entering a freeway has the right of way.<snip>

The vehicle entering the freeway, in Texas, yields to traffic on the freeway.  Typically there is a "yield" sign on the ramp.  Exiting freeway traffic has the right of way.

And for the record, I hate/detest roundabouts.  There are a few here and the traffic is always backed up for several hundred yards trying to get through them.  All it takes is one good solid stream of cars entering it, and a backup will ensue as people try to figure out when it will be safe to enter.  Crazy design.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 12:37:26 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2015, 12:36:34 PM »

Not sure if you are disputing my statement or (in bold) confirming exactly what I said.

My guess is that it would depend on how long it took you to formulate the question.   :banana:
=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2015, 01:00:46 PM »
The vehicle entering the freeway, in Texas, yields to traffic on the freeway.  Typically there is a "yield" sign on the ramp.  Exiting freeway traffic has the right of way.

And for the record, I hate/detest roundabouts.  There are a few here and the traffic is always backed up for several hundred yards trying to get through them.  All it takes is one good solid stream of cars entering it, and a backup will ensue as people try to figure out when it will be safe to enter.  Crazy design.

Roundabouts work perfectly in the UK even in dense populations areas. Most of the rest of the roads are chaos but the roundabouts are about the only thing that runs smoothly here.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2015, 01:00:56 PM »
I must say, I have now managed to confuses my self.  :rolleyes:

So, according to the FHWA (U.S.A.), Roundabouts are:

"Roundabouts are circular intersections. Roundabouts reduce traffic conflicts (for example, left turns) that are frequent causes of crashes at traditional intersections. Unlike a traffic circle or a rotary, a roundabout's incoming traffic yields to the circulating traffic."  :O

http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/intersection/roundabouts/

and

http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/intersection/roundabouts/fhwasa08006/

So I guess that the terms: Roundabouts, Traffic Circle or Rotary refer to different types of traffic semaphores.  :old:

I guess that I really do not know what Traffic Circles or Rotaries are.  :joystick:

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 01:02:27 PM by SysError »
=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2015, 01:21:36 PM »

Roundabouts work perfectly in the UK even in dense populations areas. Most of the rest of the roads are chaos but the roundabouts are about the only thing that runs smoothly here.

I fully agree they work well there.  I have been there and they run really smoothly.  English drivers know how to merge.  We have not figured that one out yet.  One day we may.

Here, they are utter chaos.  Part of the problem is they way they are built here.  The poor markings and signage and no one sees to know how to yield to anyone.  Then again, the "yeild" problem exists everywhere you drive around here.

You want to see stupid?  Pull up a chair near a freeway overpass, so you can see the road near any exit/entrance ramp and watch stupid unfold.  It is quite a show.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2015, 01:56:18 PM »
I fully agree they work well there.  I have been there and they run really smoothly.  English drivers know how to merge.  We have not figured that one out yet.  One day we may.

Here, they are utter chaos.  Part of the problem is they way they are built here.  The poor markings and signage and no one sees to know how to yield to anyone.  Then again, the "yeild" problem exists everywhere you drive around here.

You want to see stupid?  Pull up a chair near a freeway overpass, so you can see the road near any exit/entrance ramp and watch stupid unfold.  It is quite a show.

Hehe, copy that. When I inevitably do a USA tour in the future I will do just that and come back with a report.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2015, 02:30:12 PM »

Not sure if you are disputing my statement or (in bold) confirming exactly what I said.

My point was that it is not just about speed, but about "bandwidth". A simple mind can't wrap itself around a complex problem no matter how much time it spends. Solving a complex problem is more about processing huge amounts of data simultaneously. That's why programmers like to work at night; They have to build all the complex logic inside their heads before turning into code. One interruption from a coworker or spouse and they lose focus and have to start over again.

A simple mind could have unlimited time to complete an IQ test and never get past some of the more complex parts.
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2015, 03:19:36 PM »
My point was that it is not just about speed, but about "bandwidth". A simple mind can't wrap itself around a complex problem no matter how much time it spends. Solving a complex problem is more about processing huge amounts of data simultaneously. That's why programmers like to work at night; They have to build all the complex logic inside their heads before turning into code. One interruption from a coworker or spouse and they lose focus and have to start over again.

A simple mind could have unlimited time to complete an IQ test and never get past some of the more complex parts.

From my experience, many incredibly intelligent people will make a problem more complex than it is.  They lack the ability to take a common sense approach to solving a problem.  Not all, but a good majority do.

That brings us to what a "complex" problem really is.  Not all problems have a mathematical basis, but then again, is that what is complex to you?  It ma be complex to some and not to others.  The level of intelligence may not come into play as much as the life experience one may have to work with.

I have spent most of my career working with and around programmers.  They cannot be shoe horned into one paradigm.  I would say a poor choice to establish your point.  I have known very few to actually work as you suggested they do, which does not mean there are some who do work that way.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2015, 03:30:36 PM »
Programmers are odd :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2015, 03:36:54 PM »
By all means don't take my word for it. Of course people think differently and approach problems differently.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2015, 03:50:37 PM »
By all means don't take my word for it. Of course people think differently and approach problems differently.

I'll take my 30+ years experience with applications and systems programmers over a Youtube video.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2015, 03:54:54 PM »
I'll take my 30+ years experience with applications and systems programmers over a Youtube video.

:rofl

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2015, 03:59:09 PM »
You extrapolate from your own experience and ignore all other input on the matter. Like the guy in the video who wrote the book "Why programmers work at night". OK, that's fine I guess, but it smells like hubris.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2015, 05:40:17 PM »

This is the rule:

Sec. 545.154.  VEHICLE ENTERING OR LEAVING LIMITED-ACCESS OR CONTROLLED-ACCESS HIGHWAY.  An operator on an access or feeder road of a limited-access or controlled-access highway shall yield the right-of-way to a vehicle entering or about to enter the access or feeder road from the highway, or leaving or about to leave the access or feeder road to enter the highway.

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2015, 06:00:27 PM »
There is a difference between common sense and ... what was that other thing?
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."