Author Topic: What's a good controller these days?  (Read 2951 times)

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
What's a good controller these days?
« on: September 02, 2015, 06:43:07 AM »
I used to use a  Microsoft 3d sidewinder pro...but never liked the replacement.

I don't even know what kind of controllers they use these days can I get any recommendations?

I've never used pedals or sep throttle. But I'm open to learning.
Cost doesn't really matter.

Should be fairly simple to use  :x  OR really worth spending the time to get used to a bunch of buttons and hats and switches..

I like VERY precise control not a lot of deadzone, also it doesn't have to be terribly robust I never have thrashed on controllers.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
Re: What's a good controller these days?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 06:56:07 AM »
Kanth.  Check out the Hardware and Software board topic.  There have been several recent threads regarding your question there.

Cheers.
 :salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 07:45:28 AM »
I think the critical point you've brought up is precision. 

I have and have had pretty much every controller out there.  IMO CH Fighter or Combat stick is what you're looking for.  None of yet to surpass this stick, again IMO, when it comes to precise gunnery control.  I have the Warthog, various Saiteks including the newest variant, a modded Cougar, and about dozen others I've tried over the years.  I still have my original TM F22 and Suncom stuff.  Again, none, be they old or new, have made me move to them from CH for AH type games.  Sure for DCS and other types of sims I like the Warthog, but it just isn't as precise, or more accurately, as easy to BE precise, as the CH sticks.  YMMV, but I think most who have used various sticks/hotas would feel the same, that the CH stick is lighter, more accurate, and simpler to aim with.  It may be a bit TOO "loose" or whatever for some, but in a game where shooting is so important and frequent as it is in AH, it's the way to go IMO.

I would buy a CH Fighter of Combatstick for 120$ish bucks or less, and start there.  If you feel you want to go with the throttle or pedals, it's only money, about 100$ish or more each for those.

2nd place I would say probably the Saitek X55 - it's fairly cheap, although there have been issues with some users, overall I would say it's not horrible quality, and would give you a Hotas all in one purchase.  The movement/accuracy of the stick is again, 2nd to the CH, and around the same as the Warthog in terms of easy precision/accuracy at less than 1/2 the cost. 

3rd, if $ is truly no object, a Warthog setup isn't bad.  Get some custom rudder pedals, I like the Cam BF109s or Crosswinds, but there are other good options, there are brake less good custom pedals I like as well from VKB/T rudder.  For generic, the Saitek Combat pedals are the best, if you mod them to remove the center detent, a PITA 30 minute job or so, lots of utube vids on this.  I spent 1500$ on pedals alone last year and received much wife ack, to the point of giving up my 5960x system as a peace offering.  Again, the TM Warthog will be playing second fiddle to the less expensive CH stick/hotas in terms of AH capability, but overall the craftsmanship and capabilities of the WH may make you not care.

Just my opinion/experience.  Stuff to avoid - Logitech Hotas if you can even find it, as well as the force sensing Saitek stick, I returned mine it was so terrible for AH, and everything else.  They can still be found, so avoid them completely IMO.  x65 IRRC - booo.

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 08:56:21 AM »
I have both CH and the Saitek X55.  I prefer the X55, but only because I bit the bullet and learned the Saitek SST programming tool.  I rarely have to reach for the keyboard because everything I need is programmed to a button, switch, or rotary on the throttle or joystick.  Because they are relatively new to the market the jury is still  out on long-term reliability.  Saitek offers a 2-year warranty on the X-55.

The CH stick and throttle have a proven track record and they are quite accurate through a full service life. 

I am using Crosswinds rudder pedals.  They do not use pan-potentiometer technology and are remarkably smooth because of the magnetic sensor technology employed.  I have also used CH rudder pedals for a long time and have no trouble recommending them.

With regard to precision, most sticks will not compensate for a heavy-handed pilot.  They will provide 'tuning' software that will allow a pilot to adjust digital proportionality (response curves), dead band, and damping.  This adjust-ability is also found in the Aces High controller setup area and is very good.  It is also convenient because you won't have to jump in and out of the game to 'fine tune' your controller.  Most controllers mentioned so far will get you in the precision ball park.  The fine tuning is personal preference and you have control there.

I will be content with CH and the X55 from Saitek until magnetic sensor technology (like Crosswinds) finds its way into a button-rich HOTAS set-up.  That will likely be the last joystick/throttle I will ever have to buy.

All my opinion, of course.

:salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 11:32:38 AM »
I have a Thrustmaster T.16000M. It's very accurate by design. I've also heard many long time Microsoft Sidewinder users having felt immediately at home with it. And as you said price is no issue, this one is so inexpensive it would be a sin not to give it a try!
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 11:35:39 AM »
What these guys said.

<waves to Kanth>

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 11:47:43 AM »
Thrustmaster warthog here, I love it, sensor hall is a must, many programming options, not good for small hands though. I had my old TM Cougar for 9 years with half of its years uber-modded with sensor-hall.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 12:09:30 PM »
Okay I think I have a Saitek in the basement somewhere from last year when I meant to come back..

I'll might also grab the CH Products Fighterstick Throttle and Pedals. I should probably be able to use my hands and feet at the same time at some point in life.

But, I really liked the look of the warthog but I do have the small hands so my concern would be reaching everything.
Still it looks like it'd be pretty nice.  I might have to see if I can find one in a store and see if it'll fit my hands cause I like the looks of it. But for that kind of money I really wanted some kind of a good review of it for anyone who uses it with this game.  save, if you are using it and you like it, that works for me  :rock

If it fits my hand I'm getting it, otherwise I'll fall back on the fighter stick

<waves to Drano>

I need to find out what sensor-hall is..I have no idea...I'll google it.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and reviews, I think I have enough to shop for something with some idea now.

Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 12:16:56 PM »
Hey save what pedals are you using?

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 12:21:13 PM »
Biz is right, for the money that little stick is pretty incredible.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 12:29:26 PM »
I need to find out what sensor-hall is..I have no idea...I'll google it.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and reviews, I think I have enough to shop for something with some idea now.

You'd likely get hits, they're actually called Hall sensors though.  The reader's digest version is, they're magnetic as opposed to potentiometers and they tend to be more accurate and generally less susceptible to wear and dirt because they don't require contact between the parts that do the sensing.

Most if not all of the big(ger) ticket sticks use them on the pitch and roll axes.  So does the T16000M, that's its main selling point.

My next stick's likely to be an X55, though I really like the looks of the warthog.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 12:42:24 PM »
Now that is a handle not seen in a while.   :cheers: Kanth

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 12:51:10 PM »
The T16000M, Hmm sounds like i"ll have to check out a few at the store and see which one is the best fit.
Thanks for explaining about the sensors, now I understand what they are!

FRODO!!! :cheers: It's been a long long time. 

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 01:21:32 PM »
Kanth...............Kanth.... .........hmmmm.........Kanth. ..............

I don't remember any Hobbits named Kanth.  Maybe it was one of the elves.  Maybe one of the hot chick elves............
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 01:26:53 PM by Zoney »
Wag more, bark less.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 08:40:55 AM »
I use saitek pro rudder pedals. have had them for 2.5 years without a glitch
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera