Author Topic: Sick and tired  (Read 9434 times)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
Re: Sick and tired
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2015, 07:52:37 PM »
So Dave, you're so good at spotting them, you decide not to film it, not to talk to HiTech, and you just quit?

Wait.  That is just more BS than I can handle.  Have a good day.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2015, 08:36:09 PM »
See Rule #7

:rofl :rofl

Wait Wait. Was it the sound of the engine or the whine of the tires or clank of the tracks that gave it away?  :rofl :rofl :rofl
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 06:54:38 AM by Skuzzy »
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2015, 05:26:23 AM »
You fly a plane that only a few can really tangle with and wonder why people run from you?

There seems to be just a hint of misunderstanding here...

As for me, when I see a Brewie, SOP is to:
1. avoid it unless it's the only con around
2. make high speed firing passes on it if the condition in 1 does not apply

That's when I'm flying a 109.

If I were up in an Oscar, I might just engage in a turn fight with the silly thing.

Tactics: what this is about. Shooting drones? Booooring. 

I share your puzzlement, Caldera.

As for the rest of the whining, perhaps the subject line is drawing it. the "sysop" who claims hacks extant: put up or shut up. I well remember how long it took me to learn some of this air combat stuff. I had a head full of Robert Shaw and a bucnh of crap I learned back in my aero engin days and about zero virtual stick time and wondered how it was that the other guy was always better. Instead of blaming the game, I made an effort to learn. It's worth it. I make no claims about 'leet or uber status, but I do have some really enjoyable fights - and I win many of 'em. Baby seals? I can spot 'em now. Like those two new SEs (in a Spit VIII and 109g-14) who let me kill 'em from 1 on 2 the other day or that idiot who managed to hand me three TU-2 kills Sunday, almost without having to fire a shot.

The lesson here: don't quit before the good part. Pick an a/c and learn to fly it. Pretty soon, you'll be clubbing whiners. I feel right now, after doing this part time for a number of years, that I am finally at beginner status. I know my tools and how to use 'em.

BTW, I have to give some credit to Skyyr for some thinking that I've managed to internalize in the 1:1 or even the multi-ac engagements. His admonition to make a quick eval of the opponent's ac and energy state is extremely useful, almost a precept to Hartmann's rules of engagement. I can't tell you haw many times I've pulled up relative climb and speed perf charts and Mosq's turn rate perf charts to get to a state in which I can quickly do an eval.

You could almost publish flash cards on it...

You: 109g-14 co-alt at 350 TAS merging with an NiK2 co-E...

All that said, 109g-14 co-alt/co-E versus Spit XVI - I WILL HO YOU, you little sissy, and if you don't like that, fly something that's more of a challenge.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2015, 11:29:25 AM »
All that said, 109g-14 co-alt/co-E versus Spit XVI - I WILL HO YOU, you little sissy, and if you don't like that, fly something that's more of a challenge.

Ok.  So, your carefully planned, scientific conclusion to aerial combat WHEN faced with adversity IS.... to HO.     

And the other guy is a sissy.

:aok
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2015, 11:47:31 AM »
Ok.  So, your carefully planned, scientific conclusion to aerial combat WHEN faced with adversity IS.... to HO.     

And the other guy is a sissy.

:aok

Sounds to me like it's to win in spite of the other guys crutchy plane and superior ballistics , eh? 

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2015, 12:13:40 PM »
Doesn't that make it a countercrutch? There are only 3 fighter planes that deserve a premeditated straight in 0 deflection shot The LA7, the 262, the 163. LA7 because it is just plain annoying especially when flown by those with skill and good aim, the jet and rocket because when they show up its CARNIVAL TIME!

Of course life rewards the undeserving, in AH its with pixel projectiles.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2015, 12:20:31 PM »
Doesn't that make it a countercrutch? There are only 3 fighter planes that deserve a premeditated straight in 0 deflection shot The LA7, the 262, the 163. LA7 because it is just plain annoying especially when flown by those with skill and good aim, the jet and rocket because when they show up its CARNIVAL TIME!

Of course life rewards the undeserving, in AH its with pixel projectiles.
Countercrutch = leveling the playing field

Unless it's Grizz in the G14 and he'd turn the 16 inside out.  No, I don't know how he does it.  You'll have to ask him.  Then ask him how he does it against a 16 in an A5.  I'd like to know how he does that too

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2015, 03:07:59 PM »
  I'd like to know how he does that too

Gamery. 
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2015, 06:24:03 PM »
I'm inclined to agree with Change, in part because I like his no-BS style, in part because it favors me. The other reason: the window of advantage to use, g-14 on spit XVI, is vanishingly small and in a very narrow alt range for both speed and climb and is hugely outweighed by the Spit's turn rate advantage. The only reason I'll do it is because it puts me on almost even terms, discounting his 1x20 mil advantage.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 08:01:26 PM by PJ_Godzilla »
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2015, 07:51:40 PM »
Gamery.

Ha!  The cry of witchcraft

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2015, 08:06:18 PM »
Speaking of witchcraft, I've heard wild claims of using a slow, large diameter lag roll to acquire the Spit's six... But it necessitates, first that you be under his nose, thus risking the lead shot, second that he be some kind of blind cacogenic so that he completely fails to see you rolling up and over.

And the claimant of this maneuver was meanwhile defending himself against accusations that he had managed to harness an advantageous warp, which is kind of like an accused stalker claiming he just happened to be walking under that girl's window naked at 3am.

Color me mildly skeptical.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2015, 08:13:04 PM »
  Then ask him how he does it against a 16 in an A5.  I'd like to know how he does that too

Word on the street, a couple of years back, was that you could quickly pitch the a5 into a hammerhead, losing a ton of speed in the process. Having tried that, I'd say it's not that simple, because, once you've done that, you now have to deal with the tip stall and try to get it level and steady enough to get a snap shot on an overshooting spit.

Also, iirc, Grizz was a crack shot with the .3. I think his solution was to take a fast crossing shot -and make the shot. He had uncanny lead abilities.

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2015, 12:53:52 AM »
Quiter's gonna quit :aok
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2015, 10:56:58 AM »
Word on the street, a couple of years back, was that you could quickly pitch the a5 into a hammerhead, losing a ton of speed in the process. Having tried that, I'd say it's not that simple, because, once you've done that, you now have to deal with the tip stall and try to get it level and steady enough to get a snap shot on an overshooting spit.

Also, iirc, Grizz was a crack shot with the .3. I think his solution was to take a fast crossing shot -and make the shot. He had uncanny lead abilities.

Grizz makes no such maneuver.  He flies it.  After endless DA sessions, there were no reversals just great flying.  BTW, JB11 will crush an opponent just the same.  Invite him to the DA in Luftweenie planes and you'll be soooprized.

Edit:  kappa is better in the A5 than Mr Grizz, yes, uh huh.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2015, 10:59:06 AM »
Countercrutch = leveling the playing field

Unless it's Grizz in the G14 and he'd turn the 16 inside out.  No, I don't know how he does it.  You'll have to ask him.  Then ask him how he does it against a 16 in an A5.  I'd like to know how he does that too

Anyone who's getting a Spit 16 outmaneuvered by a G-14, let alone an A5, sucks. Period.

The Spitfire 16 should and will win every time when flown by a competent pilot.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."