Author Topic: ENY - and why it is bad for the game  (Read 10712 times)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Re: ENY - and why it is bad for the game
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2015, 05:17:05 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Perked rides with their considrable higher K/Ds are far off the right. They all have comparatively little usage.

(Image removed from quote.)

With both charts, only A2A kills & deaths did count.

As said before, that ENY is not just about plain usage or air to air success, but also raw performance aspects and most importantly, multirole capability.
ENY values also fulfill two functions in the arena, one determining the perks gained in combat and second as a limiter for balance purposes (which sometimes leads to odd results, giving you much more perks for shooting down a rather helpless Lancaster than a B-17).

Thank you for putting that together, sir.  :cheers:

With the exception (just barely) of two uber planes, the 51D has double or more (or a lot more) the usage of every fighter in the game.
Nothing remarkable about that at all.  ;)
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2015, 05:52:25 PM »
just a matter of opinion.

semp

No its not  :neener:
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2015, 06:23:34 PM »
Maybe a modifier could be used.  If ENY restrictions come into play, restrict the number of P51s available to each player by time.  A WAG would be one per hour as an example.

That would just exacerbate timidity and running.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2015, 06:57:48 PM »
Lusche do have the ability to create a chart for the frequency and severity of ENY per 24 hour MA day?

I suspect from Hitech's answers about ENY he can chart that over time. It wouldn't be any different than logging Windows OS or SQL performance counters for him. He probably set ENY to log itself originally to protect against killing his business if it was a bad decision. Then he probably combines same time frame MA population activity statistics to see correlations to ENY's real effect on log offs and or account cancellations each tour.

Aside from the ongoing complaints since ENY's inception and the forum circuses inspired by them. Hitech's answers have been based on a knowledge set we are not privy to. So far his answers don't sound like his data is showing him a problem. And chances are just like the 12 hour side switch reset to 6 hours without our notice. I doubt he will tell us if or when he makes tweeks to ENY. But eliminate it entirely, maybe if everyone in this post cancels their accounts over it with all of their friends and squad mates following them.

Statistically there will be a minority of the player base who will dislike something and logoff over it, or even cancel their subscription. But, that will not mean anything needs to be changed. Until you guys have access to Hitech's logs, this is like religious sects arguing the end of times because the Spanish Flu broke out.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2015, 07:01:35 PM »
I HATE that people who switch, Mainly to know what's going on like they can see that were gearing up for an attack/mission or they know where CVs are.

Do you have any examples?
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2015, 07:52:17 PM »
Did anyone ever get a real answer to the question: Can you have your account logged into the game server and have created a 2 week account from say your wife's laptop and have that logged in to the game server at the same time through your single ISP assigned IP address?

Other players run several accounts they pay for at the same time. We had a pig with us for awhile who flew a second account on knights with a box of bombers for very long missions he checked on periodically while taking part in piggy activities.

And just like my roommate and I in AW playing with our PC's side by side on the same desk on two different countries, in passing I heard two players did that a few years back in this game. When my roommate and I played on the same side, we made a very effective wing pair.

Maybe after 15 years it's time for Hitech to create a forum named: I Want to Gripe with no Basis in Reality.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2015, 08:05:03 PM »
Do you have any examples?

No, he doesn't.  He'll make them up though  :aok :rofl :banana:
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2015, 09:14:04 AM »
I've got it Hitech!

Add a perk cost the eny value as the #s differentiate. So that way people can fly their favourite planes, but they have to pay a perk cost since the #s are off!

My solution that was looked over. I think this could work
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2015, 09:43:37 AM »
My solution that was looked over. I think this could work

I never fly perk planes, so at least this way I could get my Pony out of the barn for late night trail rides.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #114 on: October 11, 2015, 11:25:42 AM »
I've got it Hitech!

Add a perk cost the eny value as the #s differentiate. So that way people can fly their favourite planes, but they have to pay a perk cost since the #s are off!

Strange how all suggestions have one thing in common, they want to make it less painful and hence less effective.

That's not the goal.

HiTech

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: October 11, 2015, 01:03:52 PM »
No its not  :neener:

it is.  I have been told many times that I fly the pony sometimes as if it was a spit.  trust me, I have flown spits for a long time.  the ponyb  you can fly it just like a spit and annoy the heck out of somebody.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2015, 01:18:30 PM »
Strange how all suggestions have one thing in common, they want to make it less painful and hence less effective.

That's not the goal.

HiTech

Then take my suggestion and up the ante. Frankly, it doesn't seem to encourage side changing, and unless you forcibly shuffle people with each map rotation, I don't think it ever will.

But it could work as a handicap to keep overall capability roughly equal.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: October 11, 2015, 05:52:33 PM »
Easy solution:  change ENY to a Perk Penalty, and have it increase in some exponent to the relative ENY.

Want to fly a 5 ENY plane, and the ENY is set at 10, it costs xx number of perks.

For the other sides, if they shoot you down, they earn a bonus in perk points.

ENY doesn't really affect me.  On the instances where ENY prevented me from taking a 51D or La7, I took a 51B or La5.  But it's not about me. :)
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            I have posted about ENY and tower sitters and got many of the same responses as most of these. I really like KATANASO'S suggestion here and no one commented on it. The perk price for 262's and other rides fluctuate already so why not lower ENY scored planes when eny is in effect? That makes perfect sense to me and may squash most of the usual gripes on this topic. I am still learning this game and don't mind flying high ENY planes at all but I do like to fly low ENY planes. Yes its usually after I get tired of getting killed a lot and think the low ENY bird will help me out :uhoh Doesn't always help but it does make it seem fairer! :banana: I can count on one hand the number of 262s and B-29's I have used perks to fly but I would definitely pay perks to fly a P-51 over a P-40 when ENY is in effect. Some may still want to fly the "UN Perked" higher eny planes but those that want too can use perks to fly their planes. I see it no different than someone using perks to fly 262s in non eny conditions. After all it is about having fun your way, is it not? I would like to see some discussion about this idea.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #118 on: October 11, 2015, 07:49:31 PM »

That's not the goal.

If you want to make it more penalizing, I'm all for that. I would recommend the following (in order of severity);

1. Double the existing penalties but still recognize the fact the numbers get very light in the early am off peak times.

2. Enable a zone ENY system. So player A could still log on and fly with his squad but it would encourage him to fly away from the friendlies if he wants to fly something late war. Alternatively, if player B wanted to fly with his horde he would not be able to fly a late war plane, and if the horde is bad enough it will prevent low ENY aircraft even though their country is outnumbered. This will also have the added bonus of affecting large missions and make them less popular.

Employ these two and you will have a change gameplay over night.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #119 on: October 11, 2015, 08:09:51 PM »
If you want to make it more penalizing, I'm all for that. I would recommend the following (in order of severity);

1. Double the existing penalties but still recognize the fact the numbers get very light in the early am off peak times.

2. Enable a zone ENY system. So player A could still log on and fly with his squad but it would encourage him to fly away from the friendlies if he wants to fly something late war. Alternatively, if player B wanted to fly with his horde he would not be able to fly a late war plane, and if the horde is bad enough it will prevent low ENY aircraft even though their country is outnumbered. This will also have the added bonus of affecting large missions and make them less popular.

Employ these two and you will have a change gameplay over night.

Definitely, but one more is needed: make ENY determined by the number in flight, not the number logged on. Late at night the people who have gone AFK for 20 hours without logging off become much more of a factor because they can outnumber the people actually playing. You'll have one side have a 25 ENY even though it has 20-25% of the people actually playing.

Better yet, just turn ENY off after 1 a.m. Central. I don't think it has any positive effects whatsoever during the graveyard shift. Mostly it just causes people to log. This is not a plus for the low-numbered side because it just makes a huge, empty map that much emptier.