Author Topic: Default head positions.  (Read 1458 times)

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
Re: Default head positions.
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2015, 11:50:47 AM »
We get to choose our position and now new pilots will start with a useful rear view. What is better than that?

This  :rock
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 03:18:45 PM »
When I map Shift_H to a key and enable mouse pan with that. Then tilt down and save F10, it keeps the down tilt in the default forward view. I have to pull the view full back after tilting down.

Here is default at 80 FoV and the down tilted forward view in 80 FoV and 105 FoV.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2015, 03:30:37 PM »
I'm starting to think we should configure the default forward like busters 80 deg pitched down view.

HiTech

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2015, 03:41:07 PM »
I'm starting to think we should configure the default forward like busters 80 deg pitched down view.

HiTech

Sounds good. It would still be configurable to personal preference. Although I'm not sure most players ever look at their instruments.

Would that be on your end or should I set each default view for better instrument view?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2015, 04:01:30 PM »
If you don't change the "Home" setting default value for the default pilot view, it then becomes posting somewhere easy to pull up that "Home" will set it to the reticle center as the default center of your PoV.

Many will probably never care and adapt.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2015, 04:46:16 PM »
Sounds good. It would still be configurable to personal preference. Although I'm not sure most players ever look at their instruments.

Would that be on your end or should I set each default view for better instrument view?

Set each one, that way home will still center it for you.

HiTech

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2015, 08:19:48 AM »
You are making more than one assumption here with no validation.

The initial position is generally accurate. You assume it's wrong or you forgot to explain how it's wrong.

Pilots were different sizes. Which size pilot is correct?

Pilots had different preferences. Which pilot's preference is correct?

We get to choose our position and now new pilots will start with a useful rear view. What is better than that?

In AH2 the P51D is a good example.  Too far back.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2015, 10:03:39 AM »
How far?

Do you think the seat is in the right place but the pilot should lean forward?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 10:22:29 AM by FLS »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2015, 12:29:22 PM »
Here's an example with the default view tilted down.

A6m2 hps

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2015, 01:52:38 PM »
HiTech,

Most definitely DO THIS, and thank you for this conversation about head position.  Bustr, thanks for your input and work with gun sights, it finally clicked in with this thread.

All along I had assumed that any change in point of view / angle would throw my sights off and would need adjustment, THAT IS NOT TRUE..... hizaaah epiphany  :rock

First, I went back to Field of View 80 and default "home"  head position, and adjusted nose down angle (using mouse look) to include the instruments panel's about top 2/3 (enough to see speed, altimeter, ammo, etc.).  This cut off an "important" top section of my view until I lowered the head position to bring sight into view(page down).  {edit:  correction on instruction}

The result was indeed what Bustr had been describing for some time; a wonderfully straight correlation to MK8tt sight and hits on target in range!!  :banana:

Screenshot attached shows Field of View 110 (expanding dash visability = my preference) and hit sprites predictably on target!  :aok

I also included this *.hps file attached (I assume that you want one of these for each aircraft).

Cropped view of the sight correlation, for full screen capture please see attachment below the post.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 02:25:35 PM by Chilli »

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2015, 02:35:58 PM »
I tried an experiment. I set the P51D back to all defaults for HPS positions. I know if I set the default PoV with a down angle to include the bullet counters that I can always hit NumP_8 to see straight through the center of the reticle.

I tried from the default holding down on NumP_8 and setting the down tilt, then saving. Result, nothing when I pressed NumP_8.

If the new player uses zoom in FoV 80 mode with a down tilt, he zooms into the barrel of the gunsight and sees nothing. Shouldn't this be reversed with the default pilot view through the center of the reticle while NumP_8 gives him a quick look at his instruments and gun counters? Then leave the Home key to allow him to reset the NumP_8 view.

The change I made to the P51D default view will not allow you to use zoom to see your jabo target during your bombing or missile run.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2015, 03:13:02 PM »
Good catch Bustr I hadn't tried the zoom yet.

I think that if a targeting problem is stable enough for full zoom it's stable enough to hit the home key first.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2015, 05:05:34 PM »
What does the guy do who needs zoom in a furball.

Excuse me Mr. wiggly FW190 A5, can you hold still while I combine several keys just to see if you brushed your hair today.....I really want to shoot you but, I'm being sneaky. Say cheese.....
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2015, 06:54:01 PM »
HiTech,

Most definitely DO THIS, and thank you for this conversation about head position.  Bustr, thanks for your input and work with gun sights, it finally clicked in with this thread.

All along I had assumed that any change in point of view / angle would throw my sights off and would need adjustment, THAT IS NOT TRUE..... hizaaah epiphany  :rock

First, I went back to Field of View 80 and default "home"  head position, and adjusted nose down angle (using mouse look) to include the instruments panel's about top 2/3 (enough to see speed, altimeter, ammo, etc.).  This cut off an "important" top section of my view until I lowered the head position to bring sight into view(page down).  {edit:  correction on instruction}

The result was indeed what Bustr had been describing for some time; a wonderfully straight correlation to MK8tt sight and hits on target in range!!  :banana:

Screenshot attached shows Field of View 110 (expanding dash visability = my preference) and hit sprites predictably on target!  :aok

I also included this *.hps file attached (I assume that you want one of these for each aircraft).

Cropped view of the sight correlation, for full screen capture please see attachment below the post.

Sorry attachments got lost and appended here  :O

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2015, 07:01:43 PM »
What does the guy do who needs zoom in a furball.

Excuse me Mr. wiggly FW190 A5, can you hold still while I combine several keys just to see if you brushed your hair today.....I really want to shoot you but, I'm being sneaky. Say cheese.....

Who uses max zoom in a furball?  If you really need full zoom you hit "home" and F10.