Author Topic: Default head positions.  (Read 1519 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Default head positions.
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2015, 12:13:48 AM »
Here's my take on the B-29. 

I've done 24 aircraft so far so it shouldn't take too long.

B-29 hps

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2015, 01:33:00 AM »
I'm starting to think we should configure the default forward like busters 80 deg pitched down view.

HiTech

Unless, the head tilt position will be programmed to zoom perpendicularly, this is not a bad default.  With a slightly adjusted head angle, ~ 150% zoom is still possible with a simple button click and still maintain target.  Max zoom, however follows the head tilt angle into the dash. 

Here are all 5 F4U Corsair *.hps (head position) files in zip attachment.
Please note:  I use unconventional head views, for 2 button looks, so these files will not do as default for anything other than forward, rear, and left + rear looks. 

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2015, 01:47:38 PM »
Who uses max zoom in a furball?  If you really need full zoom you hit "home" and F10.

I use TR in 2-axis so I inherit the HPS file views as I head pan. I hit zoom during jabo, hunting tanks, ACM to see flaps and engine kill, and to utilize my Gen10 ACM gunsight for shooting during air to air combat. I use it between 75-100% depending on the job. I have zoom mapped to a single button. Otherwise at FoV 105, a 35Mil ring un-zoomed deceptively looks like you can place it over the con at 400 and all of your rounds will hit it. If you can make out the con against the game's background at that distance. On zoom you discover that a 40ft wingspan at 400 is 57Mil. And a dot 6-12 Hitech Mil is washing around in one huge area of missing that un-zoomed looked like an easy kill shot. And that there really is a difference between 5, 10, and 20 degrees off angle of travel deflection. Which un-zoomed, the average player just misses.

Many new players and even vets don't use zoom and can't hit anything in our game. In real life the reticle if it was a 100mph ring, was about 2.5 inches in diameter 17" or less in front of the pilot's nose. And the majority in WW2 couldn't hit anything either.

I know, what do I know about anything.......
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2015, 02:13:11 PM »
I don't see a problem Bustr. The point of a configurable system is everybody gets their preference. This is just a different choice for default. Every player can still set it up to suit themselves. Home and F10 are easy instructions to restore the gunsight view and if you don't use the F8 over the nose view it can easily be an instrument view with page down and F10.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2015, 03:17:16 PM »
I think there might be a communication problem.  LISTEN, the head tilt IS a better default picture.  The DEGREE of head tilt and zoom, is what determines whether or not it is preferable during combat. 

Solution:  A lessened tilt angle and decreased zoom % works wonderfully  :rock

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2015, 03:34:48 PM »
The setup HiTech asked for already works with zoom, just not full zoom. The degree of useful zoom depends on the cockpit layout since some cockpits have instruments mounted lower so they require more tilt. On some aircraft full zoom is available in the second forward view already. Either view is configurable to your preference. The default will work well for new players. If a new player doesn't like the default there will likely be a video showing them how easy it is to change it.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2015, 04:46:52 PM »
NumP_8 changed to be the tilted pilot default alternate view would solve this.

Then all of these tilted front views players are submitting would be mapped to that since it's a line in a file. Or Hitech adds another line in the file for each "aircraft.hps". The current unchanged default pilot view through the center of the reticle would be left as is and a note prominently placed would say press NumP_8 to see your instruments. The default level position then can have the azimuth 3 positions kept off the end of the x,y,z line for players like Chilli who just discovered shooting with some down pitch. The more key presses involved, the less players will have attention for what is in front of them. Most of my squad uses a hat switch and will only admit to using zoom to jabo for some reason.

We do not know how many players have HOTAS or programmable buttons out the YingYang like many of us arguing here. I'm thinking in the least case scenario, not the most fortunate, willing to do more than press a button, or affluent of gamers. Just those guys you hear on Saturday night drinking beer and going piu, piu, piu. There happens to be a lot of them paying the light bill.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2015, 06:35:07 PM »
You don't need a lot of key presses or a HOTAS. You just set up your preferred default when you've played enough to have a preference.

Plan A was tilt F8. Unless Hitech rewrites the code we're going with plan B.  How much tilt vs zoom is up to Hitech. Unless I hear specific guidelines I'll use my judgement since I'm the one that volunteered to do the work.

You can get full zoom and instruments without Hitech writing new code with a FOV wider than 80. We have many options.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 07:48:31 PM by FLS »

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2015, 07:28:23 PM »
Agreed.... keep the tilt within "playable" zoom on target parameters.  No need for any extra key or button presses.  Just toggle zoom on or off.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2015, 12:22:59 PM »
The work doesn't take very long. Most of us have all the HPS files in AH2, copied them over, and are just looking through them to validate our setting of each. Now for the ones with sticking points in some views, you can manually adjust the x,y,z in the file itself. It took me two days to recreate all of the reticles for the historic pack. So the pain in doing the work is meaningless.

The absolute new player will suffer from our hubris. He is the one who will find these minor annoyance's a problem and not subscribe. And they all don't just trundel on down to the TA. Adjusting to a titled forward view like Chilli is describing is fine for us vets of the game. Having to figure out that kind of a nuance will go on the list of negatives about ease of play for a new player. Think about how confusing finally getting everyone up to speed on how to set the frikkin tilt was in the first place. And we are vets.

Then think about for 15 years the whole concept of setting views was left up to the potential new subscriber and now Hitech has decided to pre set them. Ease of using the views is very important to the uninitiated to combat in our game. Most of us just blaze through the views to update our mental picture while working in the combat airspace. To the new player, those views are everything for a very long time. Especially that default forward view.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2015, 12:36:34 PM »
I agree that restoring the default forward view with "home" and F10 is a lot easier for a new player then telling them how to set up an instrument view with head tilt.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2015, 03:07:50 PM »
The initial fighter setups are done. After I finish the bombers I want to check them all with a 106 FOV before I post them.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2015, 03:40:59 AM »
Here it is.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com