Author Topic: Off hours-- or should that be low population WARNING>>RANT  (Read 12867 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Off hours-- or should that be low population WARNING>>RANT
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2015, 07:52:18 AM »
Maybe if the fighter jocks would be a bit more " sporting" . Fly a weak plane, let a noob have the upper hand, some of us would fighter mode it more if we weren't getting smacked down no matter how hard we try.

Agreed.

- oldman

Offline Zeagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2015, 08:03:56 AM »
1. Two countries (or somehow limit the gang of two countries)
2. Shrinking map (strat not accessible) and/or map wide dar, light up all the dots)
3. Inactivity timer (no mouse stirring warning, idle for an hour, poof!)
4. Eliminate ack proxies, no bullets in airframe, no kill.
5. Bailing w/o pw or plane damage is considered a death and "no score recorded at all"

I have been flying this sim since about 2001 or 2002. It has changed a LOT. I liked it then and I like it now. But I must agree with the quote above.
I especially like number 5. Personally I like the idea of going to a more historical setup with allies vs axis. But it's really not our call at all.

I recently returned to AH this month in 2015  because there just isn't anything else that equals it in my experience.

And if I could throw in my bitcoin, I would like to suggest a Korean War theatre with the F-80s, 84's, Panthers, Fury's, MiG's and the like.  Heck I would even volunteer to do modeling or programming to help make it happen. But I digress....
-Zeagle-
"Black 1"

FW-ISS Bremen

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2015, 08:17:04 AM »
I and a lot of people in this game started in Air Warrior many years ago.  The game was strictly air to air combat with the same map day in and day out.  There were no complaints that I can remember about having one map.  We logged on to fly and fight with our squad mates.  Air Warrior had 3 different levels of difficulty, arenas for the newer player (ya got kicked out and had to move to relaxed realism after 10K points as I remember.)  Relaxed realism was no blackouts, red outs and an easy flight model.  The next level was full real for those who wanted the full spectrum of combat fight simulation.  Stalls, blackouts, red outs etc.  There were no ground vehicles.  As a matter of fact I don't recall anyone bemoaning the fact that we had no ground vehicles.  The arenas were well populated.  You didn't have far to go for a fight....you could if you wished to fly farther to get alt, but there were always fights.  We didn't complain about graphics because it was fantastic just to have this venue to play in.  Air Warrior did upgrade to 3d, and it did look better, but I don't recall anyone jumping up and down and complaining about graphics.  We just wanted to fight.

Now......I did notice that when gvs entered the game that flight combat did drop.  It was immediately noticeable.  Nothing against the ground war from me.  It's your money play as you like but I don't have my controls set up for gv'ing.  It's not my cup of tea.  I could care less about tanks etc.  For the life of me, if I have to fly 30 miles for a fight,somewhat realistic, but spawning tanks etc. are you kidding me?  If you want to drive a tank to a fight drive it don't spawn it.  That is somewhat real!  Spawn camping are you kidding me?
IMHO you are missing what the ground war really was.  Setting up armoured ambushes, leading an assault etc.  I guess it's just the newer generation instant gratification without working for it generation.  This is after all Aces High.  Air Combat.  I fly a lot less then I did years ago.  A lot less.  Most reasons for those that have left,is the type of gameplay , and of course because of real life issues.  Most of my old friends that have left have told me that it is gameplay. They, even though have families, would have kept their accounts but decided not to because of gameplay.  They wish to pay for their entertainment not someone else's opinion of entertainment.  This is just an opinion of course.
Everyone is entitled to one. No one being right or wrong.  One request, if we are going to spawn tanks 20 miles away and over 30 miles of water, is it insane to ask for 25K bomber spawns?  It is after all the same thing!  Just kidding.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 08:26:09 AM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2015, 08:26:07 AM »
The whole ENY thing with fewer than 50 people online always confused me. I've seen it a couple times where the numbers looked something like Knights - 10, Bish - 7, Rook - 8 IN FLIGHT yet the Knights would have an ENY of 15 or something because the numbers logged in were Knights - 21, Bish - 11, Rooks - 10. This, I think, comes down to the people who, for whatever reason, don't log off after they're done playing. Be it because they went AFK and forgot, want the 25 free perks if their team wins the war, or are just letting the game download skins. This is a whole other topic that can be discuss though.
This right here! It's one of the major complaints I have about AH in off prime hours. The ENY needs to be based on players IN FLIGHT not LOGGED IN. People will fly in prime hours, then stay logged in after they quit playing to get free perks if their side wins the map. Your team may actually have the fewest playing, but the most logged in and have to contend with ENY. Meanwhile the team with the most playing have no ENY at all.

There are 3 possible solutions. Award the entire side perks when a map is won, a 'no activity time out' after 30 minutes or so or change the ENY to IN FLIGHT.

And to add to Hajo's comment, Air Warrior had a Korea arena. Why no Korea here? Early jets are fun! :aok
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2015, 08:29:24 AM »
5. Bailing w/o pw or plane damage is considered a death and "no score recorded at all"

For the most part, it already is.
A bail is considered a death for score purposes (k/d, damage/d and so on) and drastically reduces your score points.
Bailing wrecks a players score.

Players bailing to "protect their score" is one of those persistant little AH myths. Actually they don't care about score at all.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2015, 08:36:06 AM »
 I started playing in free H2H arena ,8 players , 4 vs 4 ,small maps with 4-6 bases,  was more action, fun than MA gaming now ; You are right same large boring maps for 7 days without any strategy left and low populated killed the game ;
But poor gamming quality is healthy,  i'm spending less time sitting at desk , I lost 30 lbs  this year, moved my BMI from obese to overweight ;  :):rock :banana:

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 08:46:19 AM by ghi »

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2015, 08:41:35 AM »
The ENY needs to be based on players IN FLIGHT not LOGGED IN.

The problem with that is you create a mission with 5ENY planes. 30 guys wait in the tower until the ENY allows them to get the plane, then they all take off at the same time. The ENY spikes and now nobody else can get those planes. The whole idea of ENY using all players in the arena is an attempt to smooth out that curve.

A big problem we have, is the mindset of a lot of players, and how they approach this game; it seems many players just want the Easy Button to up their score. To them it's the destination, not the journey. Another problem is the game mechanic that doesn't seem to work well with low arena numbers.

The two issues feed off of each other. One, or both, need to be adjusted.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2015, 08:44:29 AM »
I've been flying the P-40 this tour. It definitely makes things a bit harder. There is definitely no lack of boredom besides climbing for alt. It's definitely good for defense practice.

I agree that the arenas in off war hours need to some how be shrunk so the parameters are smaller on each side only until a certain amount of players enter. I think disengaging ENY only after a certain # of players enter is necessary as well. The side switch time also needs to be shrunk to 2  hours. Make the radar at bases harder to destroy.

I think these 4 changes would help people find action  much more easily.

Since the main arena is where the majority of players flock, the MA needs to be more able to change based on the # of players in the arena. This way, there is a smaller area to fight, the players know where the action is, and they can fly all the planes they want given they have the perks.

Compared to your K4?  Just a teensy little smidge harder.   :D
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2015, 09:16:46 AM »
Was there are Black Friday sale\promotion for Aces High?

Or Cyber Monday sale\promotion?

Is there a sale\promotion on Aces High for the December holiday season?

There are few problems in this game that simply having more numbers would not fix.  :old:
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2015, 09:23:11 AM »
Was there are Black Friday sale\promotion for Aces High?

Or Cyber Monday sale\promotion?

Is there a sale\promotion on Aces High for the December holiday season?

There are few problems in this game that simply having more numbers would not fix.  :old:
HTC doesnt operate like that
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2015, 09:24:03 AM »
For the most part, it already is.
A bail is considered a death for score purposes (k/d, damage/d and so on) and drastically reduces your score points.
Bailing wrecks a players score.

Players bailing to "protect their score" is one of those persistant little AH myths. Actually they don't care about score at all.

I bail to give myself the small satisfaction of, "My plane is broken, but my pilot lives for revenge!"... For score, should I be accepting the death?
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2015, 09:26:43 AM »
HTC doesnt operate like that

How's that working out?
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2015, 10:48:39 AM »
I bail to give myself the small satisfaction of, "My plane is broken, but my pilot lives for revenge!"... For score, should I be accepting the death?

Bailing from a broken plane is a different matter. :)

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2015, 11:21:50 AM »
I and a lot of people in this game started in Air Warrior many years ago.  The game was strictly air to air combat with the same map day in and day out.  There were no complaints that I can remember about having one map.  We logged on to fly and fight with our squad mates.  Air Warrior had 3 different levels of difficulty, arenas for the newer player (ya got kicked out and had to move to relaxed realism after 10K points as I remember.)  Relaxed realism was no blackouts, red outs and an easy flight model.  The next level was full real for those who wanted the full spectrum of combat fight simulation.  Stalls, blackouts, red outs etc.  There were no ground vehicles.  As a matter of fact I don't recall anyone bemoaning the fact that we had no ground vehicles.  The arenas were well populated.  You didn't have far to go for a fight....you could if you wished to fly farther to get alt, but there were always fights.  We didn't complain about graphics because it was fantastic just to have this venue to play in.  Air Warrior did upgrade to 3d, and it did look better, but I don't recall anyone jumping up and down and complaining about graphics.  We just wanted to fight.

Now......I did notice that when gvs entered the game that flight combat did drop.  It was immediately noticeable.  Nothing against the ground war from me.  It's your money play as you like but I don't have my controls set up for gv'ing.  It's not my cup of tea.  I could care less about tanks etc.  For the life of me, if I have to fly 30 miles for a fight,somewhat realistic, but spawning tanks etc. are you kidding me?  If you want to drive a tank to a fight drive it don't spawn it.  That is somewhat real!  Spawn camping are you kidding me?
IMHO you are missing what the ground war really was.  Setting up armoured ambushes, leading an assault etc.  I guess it's just the newer generation instant gratification without working for it generation.  This is after all Aces High.  Air Combat.  I fly a lot less then I did years ago.  A lot less.  Most reasons for those that have left,is the type of gameplay , and of course because of real life issues.  Most of my old friends that have left have told me that it is gameplay. They, even though have families, would have kept their accounts but decided not to because of gameplay.  They wish to pay for their entertainment not someone else's opinion of entertainment.  This is just an opinion of course.
Everyone is entitled to one. No one being right or wrong.  One request, if we are going to spawn tanks 20 miles away and over 30 miles of water, is it insane to ask for 25K bomber spawns?  It is after all the same thing!  Just kidding.

we had ground vehicles in AW.  there were tanks and m16's or something like that.  we drove tanks many times to take out a base.  a couple of times we actually had ground battles that I can recall.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2015, 11:25:09 AM »
Why are you guys complaining about ENY? Learn to fly other planes. It's really fun to learn other planes. It sounds like if you can't  fly a p51, la7, spit16 or 190d9 you can't have fun. That's totally wrong. I play to fight not run. Again I can't tell you how to fly. It's ur money and equipment.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2