Author Topic: One of them days  (Read 943 times)

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
One of them days
« on: December 20, 2015, 04:10:21 PM »
   have you ever had 1 of them days were you could not hit anything.That was me friday night. If this keeps up nobody will have to worry how good I get at flying I wont hit anything anyways. I figure if i keep trying new things something is going to work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou0uTfH1sPo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb4i1MPVROE
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
Re: One of them days
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 04:32:27 PM »
Welcome to my world  :bhead
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 01:41:43 PM »
Dont worry Ramesis I am getting good at missing but in this video i do try to help my team even if i miss and get killed I have some feeling of use. lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg4SRLyIoE4

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 03:17:50 PM »
Mikey... I didn't say I wasn't helping the country... I was
saying I my gunnery sux... at this point, I don't have a
problem being canon fodder  :salute
O

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 03:24:01 PM »
O

Keep practicing. You're making progress.  :aok

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 03:52:05 PM »
Thx FLS ... I'm trying  :salute

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 05:27:33 PM »
You were never going to hit that last film's La7. Tooo much E for a 50Mil lead combined against an La7 probably doing 300-350. Your lead radii should have been at the left hand vertical bar of your windscreen. The speed you were at, combined with your pursuit curve guaranteed you would not pull enough lead.

Why the 100Mil or 100mph main ring?

For every 100mph your con is traveling, lead by one radii or 50Mil. This holds true from 200-300 yards at angles off of 30-90 degrees of your line of travel.

This link is still active for the AAF 1943 fighter pilots gunnery manual.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/tko1g564f9gmzot/Fighter+Pilot+Gunnery.pdf
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 06:14:22 PM »
Are these videos from in game?

If so, some tips I would give you are this...

First vid...your evasive manuevers are blind and lack E.

What I mean by that is your not looking at the other planes nose to see where he is going....is he pulling lead, is he going for a lag pursuit...going for the saddle up. You need to watch their nose and their planes attitude in order to determine when/ how you should turn. A few of your break turns were started a bit vertical...if the other plane had the aim of some of the better sticks in game...like Dodger, you would have got whacked pretty quickly. Having a bit of stored energy from a more downhill turn would give you 2 things which you don't have currently...the ability to adjust angle better/quicker...and the ability to return a shot on the overahoot. Watching the second video now.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 06:41:32 PM »
Second video, first 2 engagements...you got a twisty stick or pedals? If so why aren't you using it to help you aim? It looks like you are flying with it uncalibrated or after its shot off.

The first shot...you see him flipping over, you need to flip over with him a neg G shot is hard to hit and you will overshoot...like you did.

Second is just lead....pointing right at a P38 isn't going to get you anything if he is moving....you need to shoot where he is going to be. Look at his nose and draw an imaginary line from it then shoot at where your convergence is going to meet his plane in full force....

Finally, learn to set up easy shots....even in a 1v1 you can set up a high percentage shot...just have to learn it, unfortunately I can teach it but I'm sure TC could help you out there.
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 08:23:38 PM »
O
lol I did not mean it quite that way Ramesis  ,but ya my gunnery needs lot of work. sounds like we both would set a record for the longest DA fight in AH history  :salute
Bustr what would you recommend for a gunsight i set my convergence at 350. i have tried a few different gunsights but no luck as you can see. 1 other point although it looks like i am taking a shot  actually what i am doing sometimes is distracting the enemy who is pursuing on of my team. I will start adding captions to my videos to help assist the viewers on my intentions.
JunkyII first i have a lot of damper in my rudder , i should change it back because i moved the trigger to my throttle now to avoid the bounce i was getting before from the stick. im thinking of spending a bit more time maybe looking for fights in the DA . anybody is reading this feel free to challenge me to the DA if you see me in game.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 01:57:22 PM »
lol I did not mean it quite that way Ramesis  ,but ya my gunnery needs lot of work. sounds like we both would set a record for the longest DA fight in AH history  :salute
Bustr what would you recommend for a gunsight i set my convergence at 350. i have tried a few different gunsights but no luck as you can see. 1 other point although it looks like i am taking a shot  actually what i am doing sometimes is distracting the enemy who is pursuing on of my team. I will start adding captions to my videos to help assist the viewers on my intentions.
JunkyII first i have a lot of damper in my rudder , i should change it back because i moved the trigger to my throttle now to avoid the bounce i was getting before from the stick. im thinking of spending a bit more time maybe looking for fights in the DA . anybody is reading this feel free to challenge me to the DA if you see me in game.
When I get back to game after the holidays I will be glad to go with you to the DA, but I suggest the TA because the bullets don't hurt  :aok
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 04:13:47 PM »

It's really not the gunsight. In WW2 until the AAF issued the K14, the 100Mil ring and dot was the foundation for all countries gunsights. Your two ring follows the pattern the Australians converted the MkII reticle to while keeping the polar arms. Your inner ring is a Zeke at 400yds.

Take Junky's offer before you really worry about reticles. Your gunnery problems are directly related to your flying and not really your shooting as of yet. Junky can tune up your air combat strategy and application. Then you will tell how bad your shooting is.

Here is the Australian J178 reticle modification of the British MKII. Look familiar??

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.