Author Topic: Packet Loss  (Read 1559 times)

Offline Jackle1

• Zinc Member
Packet Loss
« on: December 23, 2015, 07:08:31 PM »
I used PingPlotter and have now noticed Packet Loss.  I have included an attachment of the PingPlotter traceroute.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Packet Loss
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 08:06:14 PM »
power cycle both your router and modem. Shut them down, wait 15 seconds or so and then restart them. Check pingplotter again to see if it clears up.

Also, this 71.252.137.154 is the address you want to ping. The HTC web site and game are on different servers.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 05:19:28 AM »
What he said.

Also note, when you run the ping plot to the game servers, the last and/or the next to last routers will always show 100% packet loss as they do not honor the ICMP ECHO message, which is acceptable.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Jackle1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 07:39:19 AM »
Thanks for your help.   :aok

Offline Jackle1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 10:15:27 AM »
So I have unplugged the router and wifi as suggested.
I jumped back into the game today and I still get the same message within 5minutes of playing.  UDP switching to TCP.  Then shortly after the connection is lost.

I am not sure what else to do.

Any suggestions.

Offline Jackle1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 10:31:58 AM »
I have included tow of the most recent pingplotter image which I captured shortly after AH crashing. One from IP 71.252.137.154 and one form Hightech web page.

Can someone explain what is going on and what I need to do.  I have read it could be my router and that a new one may help.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 01:33:07 PM »
I have included tow of the most recent pingplotter image which I captured shortly after AH crashing. One from IP 71.252.137.154 and one form Hightech web page.

Can someone explain what is going on and what I need to do.  I have read it could be my router and that a new one may help.

There is nothing wrong with that plot. Like Skuzzy said, the last two wont return the echo so will show a packet lose even tho there isn't. In game, what does your net stats look like? If its a tight squiggly line with no big peaks your connection could be ok. It may just be the last minute xmas shoppers pounding your section of the internet.

Id give it a couple days to settle down. It may be fine tomorrow

Offline Jackle1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 02:27:58 PM »
Thanks Fugitive.  I think you are right in that it is probably everyone in my area being online shopping.

I did look at the Net Status.  Every so often there would be a huge spike in the Variance Delay (more than a second) and I also noticed very small spikes every so often in the Host Queue Time.  Hope this is just a result of a lot of people using the internet in my area for the Christmas.

I will try later.   :rock
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 02:38:34 PM by Jackle1 »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 03:51:51 PM »
Are you running an anti-virus or anti-anything program on your computer?  They could be interfering with the game network connection.

Check for resource issues by going into the games "Video Settings" and changing the "Maximum Texture Size" to 512, or less and tr it online.  Never mind what it looks like.  Just trying to eliminate all the variables which could contribute to this.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 04:45:14 PM »
That packet loss is odd, are you on wifi?

Offline Jackle1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 04:55:14 PM »
Okay, I will try changing the texture. I will look into my Anti Virus as well.

No I am not using WiFi for my connection.

Offline Jackle1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 05:10:34 PM »
Well this is horse poop.  I have turned off my Anti Virus, I lowered the texture as low as it will go, I am hard lined.

Takes about 4 minutes and it changes to TCP, then 3 more minutes and it disconnects me from the server.  I just came back after about 5 months off and have never had this problem before.

I think I am at the point were I will just resign from the game permanently. 

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2015, 03:41:42 AM »
I just came back after about 5 months off and have never had this problem before.

That's what I hear almost daily. Something used to work and after a pause it doesn't work any more. Unfortunately there isn't any cure-all available.

As has been said, it can be your modem. I don't know about your ISP, the ones here lend them for testing purposes.

There's a bunch of other variables which you haven't told about yet:
  • Which version of Windows you are using?
  • Have you taken action about certain updates sending information to Microsoft?
  • Which anti-virus you're using?
  • How exactly did you turn your anti-virus off?
  • How long is your DHCP lease time?

I'm asking all this because a) both Windows 8 and Norton (at least) have the feature of limiting your Internet usage if they think it's paid per use, b) many anti-virus programs keep some basic restrictions even when stopped, c) both your modem and your ISP have a DHCP server which determines how long you can use a certain IP address. Years ago I had a major issue with my ISP having set the lease time too short to even download my e-mail. 24 hours is somewhat of a standard. 

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2015, 05:32:47 AM »
There are anti-virus programs which WILL cause these problems, even when disabled.  Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, and another one I cannot recall at the moment are notorious for these types of problems.

Like Bizman said, if you are running Windows 8.1, or earlier, Microsoft has updates which could also cause this by virtue of the factt they use enormous amounts of CPU and network time getting your computer prepared for Windows 10.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Jackle1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2015, 10:22:54 AM »
Based on Skuzzy's comment about CPU and network time being used to prepare for Windows 10 would it be worth it to upgrade now.

I have Windows 7 Professional

I use Avast Anti Virus.  I go into Settings, Active Protection then turn them all off.

I checked my Lease time and it is for one day December 24th, to December 25th.  I think I am looking in the right area.

I am not Tech so I am not sure what I am looking at to begin with.