Author Topic: Windows 10 - The Force is rebooting me  (Read 17140 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Windows 10 - The Force is rebooting me
« on: January 09, 2016, 02:01:33 PM »
I Googled this (I suppose Google is a verb now) looking for a reason, or an explanation of which Service Pack I just got hit with, but I failed to find anything. Any ideas on why the stealth reboot when they could just inform a user they are getting a service pack "like it or not?"

The process C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe (PIXEL-SMASHER) has initiated the restart of computer PIXEL-SMASHER on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Operating System: Service pack (Planned)
 Reason Code: 0x80020010
 Shutdown Type: restart

EDIT: I have added the following to the register.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Policies \Microsoft\Windows \WindowsUpdate\AU DWORD "NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers" (value=1)

Hoping that fixes it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 02:11:02 PM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Windows 10 - The Force is rebooting me
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 02:51:55 PM »
I've got Windows 10 installed on two computers and haven't gotten this.  I also just checked for updates for both and there was nothing but Defender definition updates so I checked my update history and there's been nothing outside of the ordinary.  Are you sure you don't have an infection of some sort?
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 04:19:17 PM »
I do. It's called Windows 10.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 10:24:27 PM »
It finally got so unstable I nuked the surface and started over from scratch. I'm waiting now to see if another update comes through. If not. I may never know what it was, but Windows log appeared to be very clear on what happened.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 05:12:19 AM »
A couple of things I've heard about Win 10:

On a course for salespeople the Microsoft representatives didn't talk about major updates or service packs, they talked about new versions instead. In my ears that sounds like they don't fix old, they build new instead. With new flaws...

A company level tech just told me that the latest new version bricked one computer and removed F-Secure antivirus from all of the rest.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 05:05:08 PM »
The update which slammed my system into a wall is the Microsoft Active X Version of Flash Update which was patched on 5 January 2015. There was a warning issued in some venues about the broken update, but I did not get the word on that. As I discovered this update does not just break Flash or ActiveX.

This is a problem that will be repeated many times in the future (my prediction), so get a backup plan in place now if you are using Windows 10.

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 08:16:14 PM »
http://techreport.com/news/29611/win10-will-be-the-only-windows-supported-on-next-gen-hardware

Here we go again.............MS is tightening the screws some more & it appears that the enthusiast companys are going along w\ them.........

I could see this 1 backfire..................

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 01:23:51 AM »
Wow :bolt:
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 05:54:22 AM »
Well, fear is a good motivator.  They have tried every other tactic, it was only a matter of time.

Hardens my resolve to avoid Windows 10.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 07:05:04 AM »
Help out a puter stupid guy here, stay away from windows 10 for now?
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 08:30:12 AM »
Many people will tell you it is a fine operating system.  That said, it is also the single biggest piece of spyware released to the public.  This has been well documented now. If that does not bother you, then go for it.

Just make sure you are not running older hardware as there are many problems with many (not all) older bits of hardware.

As Windows 7 is supported until 2020 (unless you opt for a Skylake CPU, or later) and Windows 8.1 is supported until 2023, I figure something will have to give and will wait to see what does give.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 09:58:53 AM »
Many people will tell you it is a fine operating system.  That said, it is also the single biggest piece of spyware released to the public.  This has been well documented now. If that does not bother you, then go for it.

Just make sure you are not running older hardware as there are many problems with many (not all) older bits of hardware.

As Windows 7 is supported until 2020 (unless you opt for a Skylake CPU, or later) and Windows 8.1 is supported until 2023, I figure something will have to give and will wait to see what does give.

Thanks Skuzzy, will stick with what I have for now :salute
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 03:07:23 AM »
That may be caused by your AV.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 04:20:48 AM »
Did you see the movie "The Avengers: Age of Ultron" where the Scarlet Witch reaches into Ultron's chest? That's basically what Windows Update did to IE 11 in this last update. Now, normally before you were to do such a delicate operation you would give the patient a sedative; a big sedative to put it to sleep. Then you would peel back the layers, which in this case would be disabling all of the add-on programs you have installed.

Apparently, that's not how Microsoft rolls. MS can't even figure out how to turn their own processes off and back on without leaving systems across the globe in an unstable condition.

And this is how they limit their costs on tech support.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 12:59:28 AM »
A simple task that Windows used to fulfill easily and without issue was locking icons in place upon the desktop. No longer can Windows do this. Worse, the technical assistance you get at answers.microsoft no longer supports the English language, or at least the people the work for Microsoft do not have a complete understanding of the English language. So, a simple question cannot be translated into any meaningful answer.

So, users are forced to seek out independent tools which will solve the issue. Inevitably, Windows will find these tools to be unacceptable and they will be uninstalled by some future update.

The most recent security update dated 14Jan2016 has in some cases disabled the Internet as an unsafe network. You have to love the irony.