Author Topic: Windows 10 - The Force is rebooting me  (Read 17621 times)

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
Re: Windows 10 - The Force is rebooting me
« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2016, 04:48:54 PM »
See Rule #4

Whoa... I want what he's having...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 10:20:02 AM by Skuzzy »
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2016, 07:08:11 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 10:21:20 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2016, 07:20:06 PM »
Latrobe, are you trolling? There are some here that have data back-ups off site (as in another building, across multiple systems and drives). You're preaching to the choir for most here bud.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2016, 08:43:39 PM »
Even so it's still bad advice. Saving to your desktop?  :confused: It must be something new. Maybe we can call it 'goofy troll.'
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2016, 06:01:45 AM »
Maybe we need another rule about giving destructive advice? Dragon Tamer don't do that! hehe - had to say it.

Yes, after you install the NVIDIA driver update you should reboot immediately. I'm not sure why Nvidia doesn't just suggest it upon completion of the installation, but if you do not do this then Windows will be in an unstable state and any other installs would really mess things up.

Windows 10 has a "fix all" nuclear option where you can reset the entire OS. That will fix everything, but it will also leave you without any programs installed.

You mean they borked the "Windows Repair Install"?  In previous OS's you could run the Windows Repair install to fix the OS, and it would also keep the programs you had installed.  They fixed that after Windows XP.

Of course, after the Windows Repair Install,. you had to do all the updates again.  Did they get that part fixed?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2016, 01:35:31 PM »
Repair install still works, but if the OS bricks and Repair doesn't work (this already has happened twice this year) you can do the Reset. I believe Reset is new to Windows 10 (I never tried 8, or 8.1). Windows 10 does not even need you to know your Windows key. Reset will restore the OS to a pristine install including all of the updates. It does eliminate your installed programs.

I like Reset, because over time Windows gets to be littered with left over installers and libraries that you don't need. I have seen Windows become really unstable, especially when it came to driver updates. Reset really helps to get rid of those cobwebs and start fresh.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2016, 03:07:22 PM »
Reverted back to 8.1 because the X-ray program of a vet didn't work on 10. They still had to let the German company support guy use TeamViewer to fix the registration problem. In a month or two they'll get it working on 10. The same happened with 8, Microsoft simply wants to first launch a new OS and only after that start to advise how to make programs work on the new OS. Oh wow.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2016, 07:34:37 AM »
Update since the initial application of the MS provided Windows registry hacks to stop Win 10 nagware and Win 10 installs on Win 7:

So far I've had no more issues w\ Win 10 trying to invade on my Win 7 boxes.

When I upgraded my current box and finally got all sorted out I installed the registry tweaks in my newly installed Win 7 before I hooked up my Ethernet cable and have ran the dreaded Win 10 install updates to test all out.....registry tweaks are still working and are still preventing the Win 10 nagware from showing up and are still stopping any Win 10 installs to date.

Wife's box w\ Win 7 on it has performed flawlessly as well since I installed these tweaks on her box. It also has passed every test I have run when I intentionally ran the Win 10 updates as well to date.

1 of my wife's friends mistakenly installed Win 10 on her laptop w\ Win 7 and it messed her business up pretty good. She came by and asked if I could get Win 7 back for her, so I went in and restored her laptop back to Win 7 then once I did that I also installed these 2 registry tweaks on her laptop and so far she has been a happy camper since.....going on 6 weeks to date.

So far, so good.....all is still working well w\ these 2 tweaks.

Ongoing..........

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: May 21, 2016, 08:13:10 AM »
Good to hear, Pudgie.

Also, I can confirm that so far the automatic Windows Update on my wife's computer hasn't installed any of those W10 related updates by simply setting Windows Update not to install recommended updates from the very start. It showed 73 recommended updates where I could find 8 of the 10 not wanted updates as per Skuzzy's list. The two missing ones couldn't be found from the installed updates, either.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #114 on: May 26, 2016, 04:28:58 PM »
Intuit is the worst thing you can do to your computer.  I have ranked it passed Norton now.  The last time I tried Intuit software, I had to reinstall the operating system as the computer would not boot after the software was installed.  I'll never trust that virus again.

I've been using Quicken and Turbo Tax since 1997 without a problem. Am I just lucky?
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #115 on: May 26, 2016, 04:32:14 PM »
I've been using Quicken and Turbo Tax since 1997 without a problem. Am I just lucky?

Intuit, for some reason, inserts about 4MBytes of registry data into the Windows registry.  Once they do that, it will not be removed, even if you remove the software.

Intuit also requires your computer to be wide open, security wise, so they can run their precious updaters.

Although, the last time I tried Turbo Tax, I had to re-install the operating system as it would not longer boot after the application was installed.  It was the last time I would ever use Turbo Tax.  I got an accountant instead.  Less frustrating.

These are the kinds of things which make me crazy.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 07:13:48 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #116 on: May 26, 2016, 04:39:47 PM »
I upgraded an 8.1 machine to 10 because I hated 8.1. Windows 10 seems better but I don't like the telemetry issues. Is there a good way to stop Windoes 10 from phoning home. I know Iolo claims to do it in system mechanic but I don't have much faith in such programs.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2016, 07:03:43 AM »
I upgraded an 8.1 machine to 10 because I hated 8.1. Windows 10 seems better but I don't like the telemetry issues. Is there a good way to stop Windoes 10 from phoning home. I know Iolo claims to do it in system mechanic but I don't have much faith in such programs.

W10 comes loaded with sharing information with MS but a good many can be turned off easily in settings.  Watch for apps that are set to live and turn those off if you want.  I have no app live.   

Everyone should keep in mind Google as an example grabs everything you do that they can.  Selling information is how they make money.  MS wants a piece of the action.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2016, 04:52:51 PM »
I disabled  firewall for outbound telemetry in my W10 laptop.
Let see how long it stays that way....
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #119 on: July 15, 2016, 04:20:30 PM »
There's a good program for killing telemetry for both win7 and win10, Spybot Antibeacon.
I have tested it and nothing in the external firewall since that.

Anyone else have the same results as me trying it ?
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera