Author Topic: Windows 10 - The Force is rebooting me  (Read 18465 times)

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
Re: Windows 10 - The Force is rebooting me
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2016, 02:52:10 PM »
unlikely that my PC can be used to send updates to other people since my router has a password on it. People do all the work on their PC and send the update files to me.  :)
That's not how the peer to peer thing works. Damn, a napster generation kid and everything. :) The router doesn't matter it just means rather than MS sending out updates from one locale, everybody who has downloaded it already sends it from their location and it spreads. Never used bittorrent?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2016, 03:01:17 PM »
unlikely that my PC can be used to send updates to other people since my router has a password on it. People do all the work on their PC and send the update files to me.  :)

Your router password is irrelevant.  If you can get the update, then you can deliver it as well.  Your router just sees your computer wanting to connect to another IP address, just as it would any WEB site, except this time it is another computer.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2016, 03:07:27 PM »
My router uses a Dynamic IP Address so people who connect to my IP won't be connecting to the correct IP as it has already changed.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2016, 03:12:51 PM »
My router uses a Dynamic IP Address so people who connect to my IP won't be connecting to the correct IP as it has already changed.

Latrobe, it does not matter what your IP address is.  It does not matter how many times the IP address changes.

Do you understand how bittorrent works?  Microsoft's update deployment works very similarly.  Try reading this:
http://lifehacker.com/285489/a-beginners-guide-to-bittorrent

The only thing really different is Windows 10 is doing all the finding, broadcasting, and storing information about other computers your computer can connect to or can connect to your computer.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 03:14:40 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2016, 05:18:53 PM »
Got my bricked w10 laptop back after a motherboard change, after 5 weeks. It normally take 2 weeks the distributor told me.
My guess is many many had problems after these updates.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2016, 06:36:46 PM »
It's a bit like the guy working at the CDC that feeds the mosquitoes his blood everyday to keep the captured brood alive and producing offspring. There is a 'firewall' that keeps the bugs from escaping, but he sticks his arm through a one-way curtain and 'Here I am! Come get some blood."
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2016, 05:56:45 PM »
And again this morning a new update came through the works. It would have probably been a few days before someone mentioned it that I would notice, except it rebooted my systems and every one of them hung amid boot.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2016, 02:09:12 PM »
Here we go again with a security update for Flash.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2016, 02:21:59 PM »
Here we go again with a security update for Flash.

Is Microsoft delivering security updates for Flash?  That will keep them busy. :)
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2016, 02:29:39 PM »
Yes, and yes. Thankfully I only have Flash on the school system.

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: March 10, 2016, 03:40:30 PM »
I installed the latest graphics drivers, and Windows 10 has an update. I'm scared that if I restart my system that the windows update will break something but at the same time you guys have been saying that you are supposed to restart right after updating drivers.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: March 10, 2016, 03:49:43 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 10:19:42 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: March 10, 2016, 04:27:19 PM »
I cannot believe you just said that.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2016, 04:31:40 PM »
I cannot believe you just said that.

I hope no one actually tries to do it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2016, 04:39:55 PM »
Maybe we need another rule about giving destructive advice? Dragon Tamer don't do that! hehe - had to say it.

Yes, after you install the NVIDIA driver update you should reboot immediately. I'm not sure why Nvidia doesn't just suggest it upon completion of the installation, but if you do not do this then Windows will be in an unstable state and any other installs would really mess things up.

Windows 10 has a "fix all" nuclear option where you can reset the entire OS. That will fix everything, but it will also leave you without any programs installed.