Author Topic: targeting question  (Read 772 times)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
targeting question
« on: January 23, 2016, 01:48:49 PM »
With regards to attacking bombers, why target the wing root?   Isn't that the strongest part of the wing?   Shouldn't the middle be weaker and more easily broken?   If the wing area between the engines is hit, the weight of the outboard engine should make the whole thing break, no?

In AH, wing root hits seem to be the best place to start a fire on a B-17.   The rest of the wing takes a hell of a beating with much less of a result.  Why?
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: targeting question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 07:03:56 PM »
Probably because Hitech designed it to burn which is an eventual kill no matter what the pilot does.

Some of this is you have been around long enough to know the process was built that way by Hitech because of game considerations. The other consideration is, why don't you go directly to the Wishlist and argue for Hitech to change the damage system for bombers to be more realistic....

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 09:00:25 PM »
  I was reading a long time ago, that for some pilots the engine or wing root was the favorite target, because it was big and easier to cause fatal damage then other parts of the plane. 
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 04:28:20 AM »
fuel cell in and around that area.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 09:59:57 AM »
I'd go with "bigger target" as an excellent reason.  Also more critical stuff you can hit if you miss by a bit.

The only bomber I preferentially hit wingtips on is the B29s.  The wingtips seem fragile on them whereas the rest of it seems to sponge bullets like no tomorrow.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 05:38:40 PM »
  I was reading a long time ago, that for some pilots the engine or wing root was the favorite target, because it was big and easier to cause fatal damage then other parts of the plane.

DING DING DING!  We have a winner. 
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 08:49:42 PM »
Personally, I focus more on attack paths that make it harder for the gunner to hit me...I don't focus on where I'm hitting as much...as long as I am hitting. In tator birds I don't think it is as important because of the damage a 30MM does where ever you hit so my plane preference plays into the attack plan.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 02:05:44 PM »
Depends on the bomber...  B-24's burn easy with a few hits to the left wingroot.  Lancs get all my attention to the wing tips, same with B-26's. 
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org