Author Topic: Eny  (Read 11242 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Eny
« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2016, 10:22:42 PM »
And ENY balances the numbers? 
Is that by causing people to switch sides?
Or
By causing people that ENY effects to log off?

Vinkman  :salute

It causes people to log off.   Period.   When numbers are low it is akin to cutting your head off to save blood for the body. 

The days of 500000000 players are temporarily gone.    When ENY takes a huge arena from 75 players to 14.    Well, you all passed math.

Ditch ENY until total players = 300.    Try it for goodness sake.

Adjust the ramp for ENY, Dale.   Please. Just don't ditch the experiment until I get the heck out of Africa in a few weeks.  Hahahahaha.  :)  :salute
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 10:28:05 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline FishBait

• Copper Member
« Reply #106 on: February 26, 2016, 01:40:06 PM »
It causes people to log off.   Period.   When numbers are low it is akin to cutting your head off to save blood for the body. 

Perhaps for some players it does. Likely the same players that A) never bother to improve their skills, B) get all their kills in horde attacks, C) game the game through 'bombing & bailing' & other such nonsense, and D) are still waiting for pubes to come in.

Personally, I have a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of logging simply for being deprived of an 'uber' ride, but then again, I'm not part of today's spoon-fed generation.

I'm perfectly happy with early/mid-war rides myself, so ENY doesn't mean anything to me. But what does make me log is when the numbers of hoarders are so overwhelming that bothering to defend against base takes is an effort in futility. While ENY may not be a complete solution to disparate numbers, it's one way to mitigate the damage.

So who would you rather have log? The pimply-faced Gang-Tards who won't fly without 10-1 odds, or more mature gamers who actually realize WWII was a war and not a show-down between Hulk Hogan & the Iron Sheik.
-== Hell Hounds ==- Official Pooper Scooper

I've got 99 problems, but a HO aint one.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2016, 01:46:00 PM »

The days of 500000000 players are temporarily gone.    When ENY takes a huge arena from 75 players to 14.    Well, you all passed math.

Adjust the ramp for ENY, Dale.   Please. Just don't ditch the experiment until I get the heck out of Africa in a few weeks.  Hahahahaha.  :)  :salute

You want to eat your cake and still have it too.

ENY makes perfect sense.  Pick your loyalty: your country or your plane.  You can't have both. 

Or you can just whine about it.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2016, 01:54:57 PM »
You want to eat your cake and still have it too.

ENY makes perfect sense.  Pick your loyalty: your country or your plane.  You can't have both. 

Or you can just whine about it.
+1000
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2016, 02:04:23 PM »
people actually try to get perk points? whats up with that?!! you'd think this was a game or something!!! off with their heads!!

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2016, 02:07:43 PM »
I still don't get it. But maybe it's because I never played the game before it existed. I also couldn't care less who wins the war, so I don't understand the complaints about being rolled. Action is action. winning side...losing side...doesn't matter to me.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2016, 02:16:08 PM »
Perhaps for some players it does. Likely the same players that A) never bother to improve their skills, B) get all their kills in horde attacks, C) game the game through 'bombing & bailing' & other such nonsense, and D) are still waiting for pubes to come in.

Personally, I have a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of logging simply for being deprived of an 'uber' ride, but then again, I'm not part of today's spoon-fed generation.

I'm perfectly happy with early/mid-war rides myself, so ENY doesn't mean anything to me. But what does make me log is when the numbers of hoarders are so overwhelming that bothering to defend against base takes is an effort in futility. While ENY may not be a complete solution to disparate numbers, it's one way to mitigate the damage.

So who would you rather have log? The pimply-faced Gang-Tards who won't fly without 10-1 odds, or more mature gamers who actually realize WWII was a war and not a show-down between Hulk Hogan & the Iron Sheik.

The MA is a rich and varied ecosystem.  You've got all kinds of players involved in all kinds of different things and that's a lot of what makes it great.  It can also make it really, really suck.

I would LOVE to have my side being horded by aircraft the entire time I'm on.  We'd be losing ground, but who cares?  There are red guys to kill!  Nothing makes me happier than nailing the guys that're perched above the guys turnfighting on the ground looking for a pick.

Apparently for you, fighting the horde is not all that much fun, and that's perfectly ok.  But just with this example, my dream evening will make you log off.  There are all kinds of different peoples' ideas of fun that are working at odds with one another.

I can't imagine anything more boring than being a strat bomber, yet I'll spend hours on a weekend hunting them.  Zoney and I were laughing about that just this last weekend, the exchange went something like:

"Man, these guys have a high threshold for boredom.  They just keep coming back over and over again."
"Yeah.  Kinda like how we're hanging out over here waiting for them?"

As long as they're in the air, what people are flying and what they're doing is nearly irrelevant to me.  I just want opponents I can go looking for to kill and fight with.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2016, 02:19:55 PM »
So if a country have 120 players and the others have 40 each, don't you think a penalty would have to be in place because it's below 300 in total ?
Or should the other countries have free ME163s and ME262 from all fields to counterweight the unbalance, or no balance at all ?

ENY works, to fly a P51B instead or flying a P51D is only 2 guns less, and less ordnance.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline FishBait

• Copper Member
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2016, 02:58:28 PM »

I would LOVE to have my side being horded by aircraft the entire time I'm on.  We'd be losing ground, but who cares?  There are red guys to kill!  Nothing makes me happier than nailing the guys that're perched above the guys turnfighting on the ground looking for a pick.

Apparently for you, fighting the horde is not all that much fun, and that's perfectly ok.  But just with this example, my dream evening will make you log off.  There are all kinds of different peoples' ideas of fun that are working at odds with one another.

I can't imagine anything more boring than being a strat bomber, yet I'll spend hours on a weekend hunting them.  Zoney and I were laughing about that just this last weekend, the exchange went something like:

"Man, these guys have a high threshold for boredom.  They just keep coming back over and over again."
"Yeah.  Kinda like how we're hanging out over here waiting for them?"

As long as they're in the air, what people are flying and what they're doing is nearly irrelevant to me.  I just want opponents I can go looking for to kill and fight with.

Wiley.

I'd say we're a lot more alike than you assume. I, too, enjoy being on the side with fewer numbers (why I'm usually a knight), and I'm always looking for a good fight even when disadvantaged (often I prefer to fight from disadvantage). But there's a point where the difference in numbers becomes so great that unless you're willing to climb to 25K, you'll be jumped by 5 or more at once, and if you do climb to extreme alt and try to engage, 90% of the enemy up there will just drop into the horde to avoid a 1-1 fight (even with advantage). As you say, everyone gets something different from the game, but for me, there's no fun in enormously skewed numbers. The difference is in the magnitude. 1-1, 1-2, 1-3... fine. 1-10: doesn't matter how good you are, you'll be pick-food in short order.

I posted my personal opinion of what makes the game fun. I acknowledge that my fun does not necessarily translate to fun for others. However, if anything you've added credulity to the point I was making regarding ENY & its impact on the game. As you say, what makes me log may be what you enjoy. Likewise, for every player that logs due to ENY restrictions, there is likely at least one other player that will stay logged due to at least some measure of balance. I therefore do not accept the suggestion made by Vraciu that ENY drives players away from the game... it just changes the type of players attracted to it. From my perspective, guys who are happy jumping in an early-war ride and putting up a real fight instead of just picking from the hoard are those who I'd prefer to log in & stay logged.

:cheers:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 03:09:23 PM by FishBait »
-== Hell Hounds ==- Official Pooper Scooper

I've got 99 problems, but a HO aint one.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2016, 03:17:28 PM »
I'd say we're a lot more alike than you assume. I, too, enjoy being on the side with fewer numbers (why I'm usually a knight), and I'm always looking for a good fight even when disadvantaged (often I prefer to fight from disadvantage). But there's a point where the difference in numbers becomes so great that unless you're willing to climb to 25K, you'll be jumped by 5 or more at once, and if you do climb to alt and try to engage, 90% of the enemy up there will just drop into the horde to avoid a 1-1 fight (even with advantage). As you say, everyone gets something different from the game, but for me, there's no fun in enormously skewed numbers. The difference is in the magnitude.

Bolded part is likely the main difference. ;)  All my point was, I'd rather have more enemies than fewer enemies.  Sure when it's 20:1 you're not going to win, but it's fun to try to take as many of them as I can.

I posted my personal opinion of what makes the game fun. I acknowledge that my fun does not necessarily translate to fun for others. However, if anything you've added credulity to the point I was making regarding ENY & its impact on the game. As you say, what makes me log may be what you enjoy. Likewise, for every player that logs due to ENY restrictions, there is likely at least one other player that will stay logged due to at least some measure of balance. I therefore do not accept the suggestion made by Vraciu that ENY drives players away from the game... it just changes the type of players attracted to it.

And my point was, the world needs gang-tards too.  There are a lot more people looking to gang in uber planes on any given night than there are people looking to fight from lesser planes.  I highly doubt that the balance brought by ENY attracts people on a 1:1 basis with those who log due to not having all the advantages.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2016, 09:10:55 PM »
So if a country have 120 players and the others have 40 each, don't you think a penalty would have to be in place because it's below 300 in total ?
Or should the other countries have free ME163s and ME262 from all fields to counterweight the unbalance, or no balance at all ?

ENY works, to fly a P51B instead or flying a P51D is only 2 guns less, and less ordnance.

300, 200, 100, whatever.   Pick some number and try it.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2016, 08:13:24 AM »

No.

...Because I am an individual and not part of the collective. I want to fly what I paid to fly, and I don't care how many of them there are or us there are or who's winning a war that has no leader, and no organization, no plan, and nothing riding on the outcome.
Who is John Galt?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #117 on: February 27, 2016, 08:22:49 AM »
No.

...Because I am an individual and not part of the collective. I want to fly what I paid to fly, and I don't care how many of them there are or us there are or who's winning a war that has no leader, and no organization, no plan, and nothing riding on the outcome.

ahhhh but your one guy. What about the say 30-40 people that log in day after day and find they are under attack on both fronts out numbered 3 -1 day after day and just give up in disgust because they don't have the skill or desire to fight under that. Those are the people who not only log back off, but more often than not cancel their subscriptions.

That is what ENY is for.

While many complain about it, it DOES keep the numbers more even. Not dead even, but much better than it was before.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2016, 02:23:04 PM »
No.

Switch sides and you then can fly what you paid to fly.   Being on the high numbered side is effectively being part of the collective, no?   :devil
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: February 27, 2016, 06:48:38 PM »
No.

well if you are a knight, your wish is granted.  btw you dont pay to fly anything.  you just pay to enter the arenas.  if you want to fly any airplane anytime you wish, well there's the training arena and the DA arena.  heck if you ask nicely  they may even let you fly whatever you want in the AVA.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.