Author Topic: review wep times, toughness values  (Read 6028 times)

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
review wep times, toughness values
« on: January 30, 2016, 09:16:59 AM »
With AH3, hopefully the toughness of the different planes will be re-evaluated *cough* A-20 *cough*, maybe their wep times will be too? (why the merlin engin has different wep lengh in different planes?). On the ground I've always felt that the hangar's hardness always heavily favored the US planeset, maybe the 1K bombs could be perked?

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Re: review wep times, toughness values
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 10:37:46 AM »
Instead of weakening the hangars, limit bomb size on fighter/bombers to 500lbs/250kg.   
That would help level the playing field for fighter/bombers, as well as leave the bombing of big targets to the big bombers.  :aok

Weakening the hangars would only mean less people in the air.   It is already ridiculous with heavy fighter raids shutting down bases.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 12:01:36 PM »
I would suspect that in real life, a 500 lb'er would take out any of the hangers making it unusable. But with the impact on game play, I think the hangers should be increased to where a single fighter could NOT take out a hanger, I would also suggest that the Ammo Bunkers be increased to a least twice the current requirement. Some how strafing an ammo bunker down just doesn't seem real. :bolt:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 05:46:38 PM »
yak3 ....

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 01:20:37 AM »
With AH3, hopefully the toughness of the different planes will be re-evaluated *cough* A-20 *cough*, maybe their wep times will be too? (why the merlin engin has different wep lengh in different planes?). On the ground I've always felt that the hangar's hardness always heavily favored the US planeset, maybe the 1K bombs could be perked?
Add the Yak3 to the toughness re-evalaution list.

I agree about the merlins WEP times - or their WEP recharge to be exact. Odd that the P-51 merlins recharge WEP faster than the Spit/Mosquito merlins.

Perked ordnance has been suggested at least a dozen times before. I fully support this concept, but I do not see it happening any time soon. However, regarding the hangars the problem is not fighters with 1000 lbs bombs as much as heavy bombers multiplied by 3 (drones) that do precision bombing from 20k, while carrying enough ordnance between the 3 formation members to kill multiple hangars. Ironically, in AH the level bombers hit more accurately than the dive bombers.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 01:57:28 AM »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 05:45:57 AM »

The Merlin had different versions.   WEP as it is in the Merlin is "gamed" compared to RL any way. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 09:55:45 AM »

The Merlin had different versions.   WEP as it is in the Merlin is "gamed" compared to RL any way.

Personally I'd rather see WEP not recharge at all unless you landed for rearm/refuel. I remember in Air Warrior if your injection water ran out, it was OUT.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 10:22:54 AM »
Keep screwing with WEP wishes and they grant them to a point like real planes wep some would be limited by the amount of water or other injectables in the tank.  Use the water up and wep was done for the sortie.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 12:54:37 PM »
Keep screwing with WEP wishes and they grant them to a point like real planes wep some would be limited by the amount of water or other injectables in the tank.  Use the water up and wep was done for the sortie.
WEP on Merlins, Griffons and Allisons was not additive based.  Simply a wider open throttle.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline 49Dallas

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 03:07:01 PM »
WEP on Merlins, Griffons and Allisons was not additive based.  Simply a wider open throttle.

Then put a timer on it. You only get five minutes. WEP would cause engine damage... Makes sense.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 07:11:47 PM »
Instead of weakening the hangars, limit bomb size on fighter/bombers to 500lbs/250kg.   

Why limit the bomb size a fighter can carry when fighters regularly carried more ordnance than what you would allow?

Realistically speaking, hangers in AH are probably far more robust than what the hangers were in real life, especially those of the foward bases.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 10:10:00 PM »
Then put a timer on it. You only get five minutes. WEP would cause engine damage... Makes sense.
Use of WEP decreased the time between engine overhauls.  It rarely damaged the engine.  I am aware of numerous times these engines were run on WEP for far longer than the book's 5 minute limit.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 10:21:41 PM »
Why limit the bomb size a fighter can carry when fighters regularly carried more ordnance than what you would allow?

Realistically speaking, hangers in AH are probably far more robust than what the hangers were in real life, especially those of the foward bases.

As a concession to gameplay, like so many other things already in the game.   Make the bombers more important for bombing than fighters, instead of dropping a hangar in a fighter and then running all the way home on the deck.   

A single 100lb bomb would probably obliterate the real life equivalent of an AH fighter hangar.   Certainly destroying everything and everyone under the flimsy tin roof.   
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 03:32:31 AM »

That's not realistic either.   
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted