Author Topic: Oculus Rift use...  (Read 21185 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Oculus Rift use...
« Reply #165 on: June 08, 2016, 09:25:23 AM »
HT - I am really curious how you'd map the Vive controllers to AH controls. Cannot imagine it atm. But I agree the precision and responsivness is truly impressive. You can literally juggle the controllers in mid-air - no lag whatsoever.

Pongo - I only read reports of the 1080/Vive combo on the DCS forums which are not as fantastic as the NVIDIA anouncement sounded. Most of that has probably to do with DCS being very CPU dependent. And that the gameworks API is not supported which means they do not take advantage of the VR specific optimizations. AFAIK only one VR game actually does atm. I do not know how likely AH is to support gameworks but it would sure boost the VR performance by a good margin. Anyway, I got a 1080 on the way - expecting it to land in 2-3 weeks probably.

First what I have been working on the last 2 days is the code that makes the controller look like a Joy Stick to AH. Hence all functions are mappable threw the normal ah mapping.

You set the max range of motion for yaw,pitch and roll of the controller in the new VR setup dialog.
When you touch the pad the controller control becomes active. You can select either when you touch or to double touch to center the controller. Then simply the roll pitch yaw of the controller maps to ailerons, elevator and rudder.

So it also creates perfect ergonomic setup simply with your arms resting on your chair.

HiTech

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #166 on: June 08, 2016, 04:32:35 PM »
lol I was visualizing it held between the legs and moving it like you would move a joy stick.

Kirin, most interested in the single pass multi view projection of the 1000 series cards. Have to be programmed for of course so would not show up any advantage in any game in existence yet.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #167 on: June 09, 2016, 07:54:07 PM »
The Mrs found a used Rift (missing the Eve code, but I don't care) in Calgary for about the same cost as retail, so I'll have it next week.  I do have a number of 1080 cards in different machines, will post more details about how beta works with them in the hardware forum, but so far, running 1080 SLI in beta flying from the fields I usually use there, 143/144 fps locked pretty much constantly from tower to take off to flight.  Not much difference between one card or SLI either, yet at least, I'm still messing with the "do it yourself" profile with nVidia inspector.  Once the Rift gets here, I'll post more on how VR works with the 1080 (not sli as it doesn't work with VR yet I think). 

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #168 on: June 10, 2016, 02:56:39 AM »
GMan,

Test framerates low over enemy large airfield and report please...

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #169 on: June 11, 2016, 07:48:06 AM »
HiTech

Is there going to be a way to adjust head position? Wil there be any "world scale" adjustment.
My goal would be to have the VR view life size?

Terry

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #170 on: June 11, 2016, 08:41:55 AM »
HiTech

Is there going to be a way to adjust head position? Wil there be any "world scale" adjustment.
My goal would be to have the VR view life size?

Terry

Yes ill add scaling. I also need to implement the zoom scaling to slow it down when zoomed in.

Also I want to add a slightly different view. Right now if you are looking forward and press the left view. The view keys work just like you didn't have a tracking device on. I want to change this so if you press left, the head tracker would then still be active but until you released the left view key, forward for the head tracker would be left.

This way I don't believe most people would use the scale , but would simply look back and then move your head from there.

HiTech

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #171 on: June 11, 2016, 06:03:49 PM »
The Mrs found a used Rift (missing the Eve code, but I don't care) in Calgary for about the same cost as retail, so I'll have it next week.  I do have a number of 1080 cards in different machines, will post more details about how beta works with them in the hardware forum, but so far, running 1080 SLI in beta flying from the fields I usually use there, 143/144 fps locked pretty much constantly from tower to take off to flight.  Not much difference between one card or SLI either, yet at least, I'm still messing with the "do it yourself" profile with nVidia inspector.  Once the Rift gets here, I'll post more on how VR works with the 1080 (not sli as it doesn't work with VR yet I think).

The main change in the 1000 series needs dev work to implement I would assume, Not sure the drivers for the VR hardware even support it yet.. Not that I would know.

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #172 on: June 12, 2016, 01:48:24 PM »
Amazing - had my first sortie online in the Vive today. Had turn down details and disable shadows to get a smooth framerate. Without shadows it stay well above 45 all the time. Double vision is fixed. Follwing things I noticed:

- enemy icons are only shown near the edge of the viewpoint - when you turn onto them the icon disappears (tested only in the offline arena since I didn't meet any flying enemy online)
 - yaw "ball" is missing
 - in flight mouse will clip behind the clipboard
 - when you move your head to the edge of the cockpit it will start to move with the head, e.g. if I lean beyond the edge of the right window the cockpit seems to move right when moving further

Fantastic experience never the less. Strafing groundtargets is hard tho... :)
Real men fly Radial!

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #173 on: June 12, 2016, 02:14:29 PM »
Amazing - had my first sortie online in the Vive today. Had turn down details and disable shadows to get a smooth framerate. Without shadows it stay well above 45 all the time. Double vision is fixed. Follwing things I noticed:

- enemy icons are only shown near the edge of the viewpoint - when you turn onto them the icon disappears (tested only in the offline arena since I didn't meet any flying enemy online)
 - yaw "ball" is missing
 - in flight mouse will clip behind the clipboard
 - when you move your head to the edge of the cockpit it will start to move with the head, e.g. if I lean beyond the edge of the right window the cockpit seems to move right when moving further

Fantastic experience never the less. Strafing groundtargets is hard tho... :)

Also try mapping your Vive controller to roll pitch and yaw for flight please.

HiTech

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #174 on: June 12, 2016, 02:33:58 PM »
Done! Works very well - technically. The tracking is butter smooth. I was able to take off and land without a problem. The idea that the axis is only active while touch the touchpad is ingenious. Took me a while to figure that out - maybe I just didn't read the manual... :)

So it does work. But I would never switch from my HOTAS. But it makes it possible to fly AH without a joystick in VR.

It would be cool if you would render the controllers. Maybe as controllers, maybe as hands, or a plane on a stick. It would also make finding the controllers easier... :)

Cheers
Real men fly Radial!

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #175 on: June 12, 2016, 03:01:38 PM »

It would be cool if you would render the controllers. Maybe as controllers, maybe as hands, or a plane on a stick. It would also make finding the controllers easier... :)

Cheers

All ready done, working on the ability to simply touch the items on the clip board with your index finger.

HiTech

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #176 on: June 12, 2016, 03:50:34 PM »
Will there be an option for a HUD graphic that shows the stick and pedal positions that's also saved to film? Will films play in VR?

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #177 on: June 13, 2016, 12:48:03 AM »
I know I will be slayed, burnt and flayed here...
but any way this is going to work on Samsung/Oculus GearVR..?
would be so sweet  :pray
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline brucec

• Zinc Member
      • 249 Sqn RAF "Gold Coast"
« Reply #178 on: June 13, 2016, 01:56:26 AM »
Just tried AH in VR without double vision and it's looking good thanks!

I know I will be slayed, burnt and flayed here...
but any way this is going to work on Samsung/Oculus GearVR..?
would be so sweet  :pray

AH is a PC game, I don't think it would ever run on a mobile phone?
brucec
249 Sqn RAF "Gold Coast"

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #179 on: June 13, 2016, 04:41:31 AM »
I wondered if it was possible ..
Like hook the pc up to the phone..WiFi..
Probably not for awhile aye..to leggy etc..
Just got a gear rv..so was just hoping..don't know shiz about this VR...BUT it's quiet exciting.
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."