Author Topic: An odd encounter leads to a profound question  (Read 7753 times)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
An odd encounter leads to a profound question
« on: March 20, 2016, 02:38:28 PM »
I have been spending my time in the beta mostly recently but I had one encounter that has left me scratching my head.

I'll have to paraphrase but it went like this on the open channel;
"I don't think I know anyone better at this. There must be a reason. Thanks for taking the fun out of it. Bye"

Now on the face of it that begs the question;
Are the people that are good at AcesHigh the reason players log off?

Is ENY and all those other excuses just ones they fall back on to refuse to admit that the difficulty is very high when facing certain others and one would rather not admit? Especially against those who have good hand eye coordination and others that have a high capacity for information retention, which is what most of flying Aceshigh is. Knowing the opponents aircraft as well as your own can often be the tiny advantage needed to come out the other side of the fight.

The best fights are those that go on for a long time, you start to feel a sweat when both players are equally matched. But this cannot always be so, it has to be embedded in every single players mind that there is always some one better than you, and that it is up to you to learn from them. Many of these players freely share their knowledge and experience, you just have to ask. It may be the beginning of a good friendship, and in AcesHigh they last a long time. Given time, practise and patience you can give these guys a run for thier money, and get that adrenaline rush when you get that victory you have worked hard for. The fun is always there if you don't give up, fun in the learning, fun in the information you read, fun in the interactions you can have. It's great if you make the most of it.

Thinking back on the encounter it could be just a veiled "cheater" whine that requires some small inbetween the lines reading, but regardless of that I was surprised by the lack of determination shown by the player making the comment. It has me perplexed. One of the things that got me hooked to AcesHigh was the level of difficulty, the pursuit of information on how to fly these warbirds like heroes generations prior. Has this been lost in recent times or am I just getting old and over thinking? Anyway I am one of those people you can ask, I am happy to share what I know. Just don't give up too soon before the fun really begins.
 :salute

« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 02:40:23 PM by LCADolby »
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: An odd encounter leads to a profound question
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 02:45:40 PM »
Oh, I hope not.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 02:49:35 PM »
I've been accused of the same thing from time to time over the years but most of those complaints were thinly veiled cheat whines of the "no one could be that good, you must cheat!" variety.  Those that have threatened to quit the game over it haven't, I still see them playing and whining.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 03:08:56 PM »
I logged off when it was 6 v 1 and you couldn't even wait for me to get 100 ft off the ground before you all started buzzing me.  Don't expect many people to stick around in a low numbers arena if all you're going to do is pick people fresh off the runway.

Not that I died, I landed successfully, but I will not support that style of tardiness...  if that's how the gameplay will be, I'll stick to the MA until it switches over.  At least in the MA there's more than 1 fight to choose from.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 03:10:37 PM »
It's possible some quit when they get beat down too much.

But then what?  They will either suck it up and do their time and take their lumps and possibly reach out in, one of the many ways they can, and get help.

Or they might quit. It's entirely up to them.

It can be a tough learning curve and not everyone will be great at this, and certainly not any time SOON after they start.
Some folks can't handle that, some folks have the time to get in the hours to become fairly good.

You also never know where their head is on any given day.  I've been gone since 2003. I fly about an hour a week (in FSO), not enough to get the rust off. I just take my lumps because I don't have the time to get the rust off right now but I really like flying with/dying near old friends.

Sometimes I admire folks skill and sometimes I want them to burn on any given day. Has nothing to do with them.  :cheers:

« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 03:14:32 PM by Kanth »
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 03:14:03 PM »
Not that I died, I landed successfully, but I will not support that style of tardiness...

Dammit, if you can't vulch him in a timely manner .....

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 03:35:02 PM »
Dammit, if you can't vulch him in a timely manner .....

I agree with him though.   If the numbers are low, try and make the most of the testing and put the bs aside.

When AH2 came out, my squad(Crazy Diamonds), most wanted and a few others lived in the Early war arena.  Why?  All of us had been there and done that.   It became more of lets fly what normally doesn't and have some hilarious times.   Sadly, there are many they need that message to appear to fulfil some semblance of reassurance.   For xbrit, PK, KillnU, Bj229r, OddCAF, Anton, oldemon, DH367, ghosth, stang and others?  It was a perfect time to help each other through competition and nobody vulched with any regularity.  Although 6 vs 1?   That speaks volumes of who the vulchees were. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 04:09:44 PM »
No one vulched, and only 3 were over his field, 1 of which wasn't targeting aircraft but ground guns.  :rolleyes:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 04:17:47 PM »
Every player will pick, Ho, vulch and run as soon as he/she gets a chance and we all love it cause we can have the "XX landed Y kills" and get the WTG:s on country channel. Its sucks to be in the receiving end of it but that is the side effect of our ego boosting, that sometimes we have to boost someone else's ego..
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 04:27:43 PM »
Lol Dolby in his f4u4 was the first to dive in, followed closely by a Ki84 and 2 P51's, meanwhile a spitfire and another KI84 were 10K out and on their way in

True, Dolby quit going after me after his 1st pass and proceeded to begin deacking, the other 3 continued on me until I landed.

So 4 officially on me, 2 hauling bellybutton to try and get in and join up.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 04:57:15 PM »
I read the original statement as a 'you must be cheating' veil.

As far as Wilburs comment, I logged into the Beta just as you were logging off Dolby and what I saw were 3 players bouncing 2 players lifting off.  I was the 4th one into that area and I asked on 200 for guns cold so I could get close to other aircraft to test graphics.  LOL needless to say they were not in the mood to be kind and I guess did not know it was my first run that night.

IMO it should be used as a test area and people should try to help in that respect.  Vulching off the field is helping no one IMO

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 05:02:21 PM »
No one vulched, and only 3 were over his field, 1 of which wasn't targeting aircraft but ground guns.  :rolleyes:

Riiiiiiight.   Deacking is about your speed.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 05:17:49 PM »
IMO it should be used as a test area and people should try to help in that respect.  Vulching off the field is helping no one IMO

Exactly. Leave the MA "get kills anyway you can" mentality in the MA. Help test the beta and give feedback to the devs, or stay in the MA.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 05:26:48 PM »
I log off because A) I have to because of real life stuff...or B) Because the quality of fights suck.

It sounds like a person was getting vulched in BETA...nothing about skill should ever come from a situation about vulching...

BETA in my opinion should have set fights like you would have in the DA.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 05:29:53 PM »
I stream actual events, it can be used to clear up said issues with Wilbur's accuracy. But needless to say his quarrel has nothing to do with what I OP

https://www.twitch.tv/glendinho/v/55661736
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 05:36:40 PM by LCADolby »
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho