Author Topic: debunking the myth of the Spitfire  (Read 18454 times)

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
Re: debunking the myth of the Spitfire
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2016, 10:54:07 AM »
I think RJH57 once blew all his money on a second-hand Triumph Spitfire and was so butt-hurt over the Lucas electrical system that it drove him to Luftwhinery and the need to participate in dubious cosplay photos for his avatar.

Still, if the hat isn't a replica, it has genuine value.

The rest, alas, RJH, demands an answer. The photo is dubious... The part he didn't state was where the doubt accrues. I can only speak for myself, but I'm suspecting that alcohol might've been involved, for that is the most charitable source of bad judgment I can ascribe. Of course, my own avatar looks like a squashed cat, but it's the old family crest, long out of use in my neck of the woods.  :D

I'll give you this, though: FDR appears to be downright sympathetic to Stalin's politics, given how he sold Eastern Europe down the river. No wonder most of those nations participated in the Eastern funzone. Of course, post-war, they were all of a different mind, but, by my count, some 20-odd nations participated in the war on Russia - and they had cause.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2016, 06:46:53 PM »
No wet wings on either of those aircraft. Wing tanks yes, but no wet wings.

By all means you are correct.  I would just like to state the term "wet wing" relative to WWII aircraft is quite often misused.  A simple google search of "P-51 wet wing" or "P-47 wet wing" brought up a myriad of books and articles using that term to refer to onboard wing tanks.
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2016, 10:23:08 PM »
By all means you are correct.  I would just like to state the term "wet wing" relative to WWII aircraft is quite often misused.  A simple google search of "P-51 wet wing" or "P-47 wet wing" brought up a myriad of books and articles using that term to refer to onboard wing tanks.
Only WWII combat aircraft that I am aware of having a wet wing is the G4M 'Betty'.  Consequences were, as Mitsubishi told the IJN, predictable.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline RJH57

• Copper Member
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2016, 10:56:20 PM »
...  dubious cosplay photos for his avatar.

The rest, alas, RJH, demands an answer. The photo is dubious...

I may be ubiquitous and loquacious - at times even magnanimous -  but dubious ? NEVER!  :cheesy:
"In Fighters, one must always quest to be
     a well-oiled machine fore Belching,
Whoring and Punching of Heads because
 inevitably the Goal is to flame the Enemy
            and Screw his Old Lady"

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2016, 11:24:18 PM »
Various sized tanks were carried under fuselage.

(Image removed from quote.)
And everybody knows that.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2016, 11:26:16 PM »
No, it's like saying car A won because car B ran out of fuel because the race was held next to where Car A was parked.

Which clearly makes car A better.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2016, 11:27:36 PM »
Only WWII combat aircraft that I am aware of having a wet wing is the G4M 'Betty'.  Consequences were, as Mitsubishi told the IJN, predictable.

You sure about that?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2016, 11:50:25 PM »
You sure about that?
I am sure the Betty had a wet wing and that Mitsubishi told the IJN that they could not make an effective warplane with the demanded range on only two engines, that they needed four to have the weight allowance for protection.  The IJN didn't have many pilots trained for four engines and told Mitsubishi to proceed with two engines.  Mitsubishi had to use the wet wing in order to save weight and carry more fuel to meet the range requirements.

I am not certain that the Betty was the only WWII combat aircraft with a wet wing.  I do know that the A6M, also famously flammable, did not use a wet wing.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline RJH57

• Copper Member
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2016, 12:35:16 AM »
I'll give you this, though: FDR appears to be downright sympathetic to Stalin's politics, given how he sold Eastern Europe down the river.

not just FDR but Churchill as well - sold Poland, Czechoslovakia, etc...  down the river. Recent documents have revealed that British PM Maggie Thatcher was also quite willing for the Soviets to stay in Eastern Europe in order to prevent German re-unification. 
"In Fighters, one must always quest to be
     a well-oiled machine fore Belching,
Whoring and Punching of Heads because
 inevitably the Goal is to flame the Enemy
            and Screw his Old Lady"

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2016, 06:47:02 AM »
I am sure the Betty had a wet wing and that Mitsubishi told the IJN that they could not make an effective warplane with the demanded range on only two engines, that they needed four to have the weight allowance for protection.  The IJN didn't have many pilots trained for four engines and told Mitsubishi to proceed with two engines.  Mitsubishi had to use the wet wing in order to save weight and carry more fuel to meet the range requirements.

I am not certain that the Betty was the only WWII combat aircraft with a wet wing.  I do know that the A6M, also famously flammable, did not use a wet wing.

The wings became wet when the non self-sealing fuel tanks were punctured.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2016, 10:11:43 AM »
not just FDR but Churchill as well - sold Poland, Czechoslovakia, etc...  down the river. Recent documents have revealed that British PM Maggie Thatcher was also quite willing for the Soviets to stay in Eastern Europe in order to prevent German re-unification.

The Venona decrypts outed several US diplomats - most notably, to my mind, Dean Acheson - as being in Soviet service. The British motivation is both more understandable and more shortsighted, imj.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2016, 02:34:03 PM »
Its so easy to sit in an armchair 60 years later and complain that the last generation did not enter into a Third World War in 1945 right after they just ended the Second World War to appease their political ideologies.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2016, 04:13:25 PM »
Which clearly makes car A better.

Sure, if you want to apply that to an 87 honda civic drag racing a GT 500, and still say that the civic is the better car, sure. It's circumstance.

The 109E and Spitfire were comparable aircraft, it's just the 109 was made to do a job it wasn't designed for.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2016, 04:30:32 PM »
The 109E and Spitfire were comparable aircraft, it's just the 109 was made to do a job it wasn't designed for.

That job would be ........

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2016, 04:34:24 PM »
Sure, if you want to apply that to an 87 honda civic drag racing a GT 500, and still say that the civic is the better car, sure. It's circumstance.

Don't try to muddy the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust.