Author Topic: Beta 17 Released: Issues/Bug Reports  (Read 18037 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Beta 17 Released: Issues/Bug Reports
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2016, 12:34:38 PM »
Garbled comms are a pretty good indication of software audio processing in my experience.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2016, 02:15:14 PM »
I have the same problem with the directionality of GV (and airplane) sounds.  In AH2 the localization is perfect; on one occasion I actually destroyed a GV I could not see hiding below a rise just by aiming using sound.  In AH3 the sound localization is useless on my system (Realtek MB sound using "Stereo Speakers" setting and headphones).  Tanks that are visually at my 2 or 3 oc sound like they are at my 12 oc.  The same thing happens with planes, I have to look in all directions to find them.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #122 on: April 25, 2016, 02:23:49 PM »
Garbled comms are a pretty good indication of software audio processing in my experience.

Another reason to buy the SB Z? I'm struggling with the temptation because I always like to buy new gear. That's why I have 10 fishing rods and reels plus lots of tools. The surprising thin is my wife encourages me.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: April 25, 2016, 03:47:32 PM »
I would say that garbled comms are a strong reason for any upgrade. The sound card is where I would start. Even if that only fixes comms and not yet the 3D stuff, the 3D stuff will get sorted out.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #124 on: April 25, 2016, 03:53:57 PM »
I have the same problem with the directionality of GV (and airplane) sounds.  In AH2 the localization is perfect; on one occasion I actually destroyed a GV I could not see hiding below a rise just by aiming using sound.  In AH3 the sound localization is useless on my system (Realtek MB sound using "Stereo Speakers" setting and headphones).  Tanks that are visually at my 2 or 3 oc sound like they are at my 12 oc.  The same thing happens with planes, I have to look in all directions to find them.

Could you check to see if there is an updated driver for your sound card? Then it would be really helpful to see this on film. I'm asking so I can see it for myself. AH film, not Fraps, or anything else.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #125 on: April 25, 2016, 04:55:08 PM »
Just to see what would happen I have tried to drive a tank into the water near a couple of ports and an air base. There seems to be an invisible wall that prevents the tank from driving to far unto the beach. Perhaps there a worry about suicidal tankers or it may be an OSHA requirement but I suspect it's a bug.
Here are the locations:

500536,11,221420,0.3,11.9,-45.0
craterma
FOV = 79.3

I mentioned this earlier in #65  :aok
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #126 on: April 25, 2016, 06:15:40 PM »
Condor, could you record fil of something like this please?

@hitech: Are you playing around with terrain acoustic wave propagation? Hehe, that would be awesome.

I checked again and, although it's improved (meaning the difference in volume is less), the loudest sound from a tank straight in front of me is at about my 10 O'clock as I pan the turret. I filmed it but the sound in the film is the same regardless of turret position. The film is attached. There is an M4 at my 12 just to left of radar. My engine is off. The M4 engine sound is loudest when my gun is pointed at the hangar to the right but you can't hear the difference on the film. I started my engine and Allcrapp said the sound was dead on at his 12 but that that it's not consistent. He said sometimes the sound direction of other vehicles does not match their location.

I got the garbled comms sorted out. I moved the microphone volume slider slightly in the game. It didn't effect the volume by much but but the speech was very clear.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2016, 06:41:15 PM »
I was just in AH3 and encountered a Panzer attacking a Vbase. In this case it was much harder to locate it by sound. This time the problem seemed to be as bad as before I upgraded my drivers. You will see the Panzer where I first fire and then I fired smoke near a clump of large trees to the right. That was where his sound was loudest. The louder sound you hear when I traverse back and kill the Panzer is another tank that spawned from the hangar. He sounded like he was at the location of the Panzer but was actually to my left. It's too bad the sound differences aren't captured in the films. I won't do anymore films unless someone tells me they are helpful.  I think I've flogged this horse enough.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2016, 06:48:23 PM »
I hear the sound coming from the tank in both films. It's not even a little bit off. So, perhaps there is an issue with software positioning.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2016, 07:02:31 PM »
Condor,

See if you can get another player to be on the same side with you. Both up a tank that shoots smoke. Go into an open field and sit with your engine running. Have him move to your 12:00, 1000yds out facing to your clock wise. Each of you shoot smoke where you hear each other. Have him roll to your 03:00 and do the same, then 06:00 and 09:00. Or both of you shoot AP into the ground about 1000 out in the direction of the sound each hears the loudest for your idling engines at each of the 4 stop locations on the clock.

Then you can play back the film and pull a screen capture out of the film from above each clock station showing where your main guns were aimed in response to the loudest sound as you fired.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2016, 08:51:41 PM »
Condor,

See if you can get another player to be on the same side with you. Both up a tank that shoots smoke. Go into an open field and sit with your engine running. Have him move to your 12:00, 1000yds out facing to your clock wise. Each of you shoot smoke where you hear each other. Have him roll to your 03:00 and do the same, then 06:00 and 09:00. Or both of you shoot AP into the ground about 1000 out in the direction of the sound each hears the loudest for your idling engines at each of the 4 stop locations on the clock.

Then you can play back the film and pull a screen capture out of the film from above each clock station showing where your main guns were aimed in response to the loudest sound as you fired.

I appreciate your interest but am not sure I see the value in what you are suggesting. I and others are having issues with sound directions being off. Several have told me the same thing. I already know from doing this multiple times, although not in the structured manner you suggest, that I will have the same experience. I was told by a player in AH3 today that he has the same experience in planes. Others like Chalenge are not seeing this issue. Obviously something needs to be fixed and I suspect it is our systems and not the game. The question is, what is the fix. I'm willing to replace my old SB x-Fi card with an SB Z but I will probably wait and make sure that's the right answer.

It might be of more value to find out what sound cards (or on board sound) those having the problems are using.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #131 on: April 25, 2016, 08:53:09 PM »

What sound card are you using or are using?

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #132 on: April 25, 2016, 08:53:56 PM »
Could you check to see if there is an updated driver for your sound card?

The version I'm using is from 2010.  I have a version from 2012.  When I work up the courage to install it (it's more than twice as big as the 2010 version which doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling) I'll try testing the sound again.  This is with XP.  When AH3 goes DX11 I will, of course, have to switch to Win7 and that will be yet another different driver.

Edit: more information.

The driver ver listed via the Realtek tray app was 5.10.0.6101 which elsewhere is listed as 2.48.  I checked the 3D Audio test of the Realtek tray app (the little brown speaker) and lo and behold it shows  similar (but opposite) problems: sound comes from the front when the little bee (you'll see) is actually on the left ear of the icon.  (I can't explain why AH3 things sound to the left of where they are and in this app it's the opposite.  Maybe I misunderstood what direction the little head icon was facing.)  So I upgraded to the later driver (and probably the latest available to 32 bit XP) and that version (5.10.0.6662 or 2.7) has the same problems in the Realtek 3D Audio test app.  I haven't tried it in AH3 yet, but I doubt it is any different.

So I suspect the problem has nothing to do with AH3 and all to do with Realtek.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 09:36:00 PM by 715 »

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #133 on: April 25, 2016, 08:59:27 PM »
What sound card are you using or are using?

Sorry, I'm tired and didn't read carefully enough. I see 715 is using the realtek sound on the MB.   :bhead :bhead

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #134 on: April 25, 2016, 09:52:26 PM »
Found another stick tree. Actually my M4 didn't even hit the trunk but just a branch but I couldn't back away.

493172,432,71821,2.5,-6.0,174.5
craterma
FOV = 79.3