Author Topic: How to see the Airfields and Vehicle bases more clear from higher Altitudes?  (Read 1788 times)

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
I find it more difficult to see the airfields and VH's in AH3. Is there a display setting to enable me to see them better from higher altitudes?

<S>
HamrDown

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
What! You don't like the realism real pilots go through? And this is just a 9x16 mile island from about 25k. And I'm not even running any cloud fronts at lower alts. One thing that does happen is ports seem to not be viewable at all past a few miles away from them. There is one in each bay on the ends of the island.

Can you identify the bomber hanger on the Small Airfield?

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Well I can tell there are ports there because of the right angle coastlines of water where the port ground should be but if I work on terrains. I definitely think that is an issue though in case of ports that the whole thing is disappearing to view instead of just some objects.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Hamrdwn,

Yes, there is a setting to enable you to see ground details better.  I forget which one, as there are object details and ground details sliders.  I would try the latter first.  I have also experimented with other settings, and will try and get back with you with some comparisons later on.

Bustr,

That is a nice view!  I notice that you are not zoomed or full zoom at least.  I think that I remember bombing structures from @ 17k and having no problem finding the targets, other than recognizing which structures were what, due to the absence of clipboard maps or fields.

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
Hamrdwn,

Yes, there is a setting to enable you to see ground details better.  I forget which one, as there are object details and ground details sliders.  I would try the latter first.  I have also experimented with other settings, and will try and get back with you with some comparisons later on.

Bustr,

That is a nice view!  I notice that you are not zoomed or full zoom at least.  I think that I remember bombing structures from @ 17k and having no problem finding the targets, other than recognizing which structures were what, due to the absence of clipboard maps or fields.

OK, I will look for the detail settings and get to 20k alt and see what I can see and report back.

<S>
HamrDown

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Well, first of all, like Bustr pointed out, you are not imagining the difference.  The visibility of fields, strats and towns are "faint" in comparison to AH2.  I do like it though, because it adds another realistic dimension to difficulty that I enjoy. 

Having said that, I do also see some settings that go too far.  So yes, if you are not setup properly, you might have a problem, but not one that zoom and clipboard map won't compensate for.

If you haven't heard of it yet, the .sliders command, has sliders that will allow you to play with the terrain brightness.  I find that playing with terrain and shapestd sliders I am able to make different objects pop.  Then the total dweeb in me, adjusts my monitor settings, usually adding color.   :banana:

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Well I can tell there are ports there because of the right angle coastlines of water where the port ground should be but if I work on terrains. I definitely think that is an issue though in case of ports that the whole thing is disappearing to view instead of just some objects.

It's been doing that since I can remember. I've been testing since August 2014. Hitech should be able to shed some light on specifically why the port structures disappear while other bases and towns don't.

Just checked, port comes into view at about 5k yards away.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 05:45:04 PM by bustr »
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline DarkHawk

• Copper Member
Nice update bustr, set gamma to 1.3 from 20 k able to see field at the radar ring (12 miles)

DHawk
49DHawk
XO for BOWL (DHawk)

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
Well, first of all, like Bustr pointed out, you are not imagining the difference.  The visibility of fields, strats and towns are "faint" in comparison to AH2.  I do like it though, because it adds another realistic dimension to difficulty that I enjoy. 

Having said that, I do also see some settings that go too far.  So yes, if you are not setup properly, you might have a problem, but not one that zoom and clipboard map won't compensate for.

If you haven't heard of it yet, the .sliders command, has sliders that will allow you to play with the terrain brightness.  I find that playing with terrain and shapestd sliders I am able to make different objects pop.  Then the total dweeb in me, adjusts my monitor settings, usually adding color.   :banana:

Chilli,

Can you tell me more please about the .sliders command, how to use it, more details?

Thanks!
HamrDown

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
First, pull up the clipboard onto your screen, and then type .sliders in the text buffer and hit enter.  The clipboard will now show you several sliders, but only concern yourself with the bottom 3, (ShapeStd, terrain, and trees).  F3 external view from the tower  will allow you to see how the adjustments of sliders appear. 

Once you have the sliders where you like them, take a screen shot of the slider location or jot it down somewhere.  These settings reset every time that you leave one arena IIRC.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Realism?

This was taken at 35,000 feet. Note how well you can see roads and built up city areas.

Cuba Matanzas Caribbean Sea Bahia de Matanzas bay harbor aerial 35000 feet land clouds water geography

This one is from about 25,000 feet through heavy haze; Matthews, Indiana. Note how easy it is to see barns/buildings even in heavy haze.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 11:13:37 AM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
First, pull up the clipboard onto your screen, and then type .sliders in the text buffer and hit enter.  The clipboard will now show you several sliders, but only concern yourself with the bottom 3, (ShapeStd, terrain, and trees).  F3 external view from the tower  will allow you to see how the adjustments of sliders appear. 

Once you have the sliders where you like them, take a screen shot of the slider location or jot it down somewhere.  These settings reset every time that you leave one arena IIRC.

Cool!  Thanks Chilli. <S>

HamrDown

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
Bustr,
I agree with Toad on this one, seeing airfields and ground objects is much more clear in the real world. I think AH3 needs to improve clarity from long distance on these things.
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Pull up the clipboard.

.sliders

Top slider all the way to the right. But, I suspect there is only so much you can ask out of monitors and pixels for a few real years to come. Pushing that slider to the right will give you what you ask for along with unintended consequences to other visual things because of the nature of pixels. Who knows, maybe if Hitech updates the game to DX11 which he made some comments about. After all, the beta is only DX9.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
Pull up the clipboard.

.sliders

Top slider all the way to the right. But, I suspect there is only so much you can ask out of monitors and pixels for a few real years to come. Pushing that slider to the right will give you what you ask for along with unintended consequences to other visual things because of the nature of pixels. Who knows, maybe if Hitech updates the game to DX11 which he made some comments about. After all, the beta is only DX9.

I adjusted the Sliders and went into F3 mode in a plane and on the ground and have it set to what I like. Yes, Direct X 11 or 12 support would really help.

<S>
HamrDown