Author Topic: 89.5%  (Read 3335 times)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Re: 89.5%
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2016, 06:59:20 PM »
Fixed.  To add to your considerable cerebral confusion, please look up inferred so that you don't accidently ask someone to find something they've already tacitly admitted you wouldn't find.  It makes u look a smidge more foolish than u already are.  By creating the thread you inferred skill.  Ask the readers.  Perceived demonstration of skill = one of the only reasons to make a look-at-me thread.  I simply doubt the accuracy of your self awareness.

Another one with a pile of meandering, psychobabble gobbledeegook.   Good day to you as well.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2016, 12:45:29 AM »
Since you refuse to discuss this rationally,

You closed the possibility for rational discussion with an insightful reaction to an impersonal comment.

OK, Dr. Katz: how would flying better planes make one better at ACM - and why are you troubled by my plane choices?

Inconsistent with the composure you are now attempting to project. If I had no point at all then the appropriate moment to dismiss was then. You're essentially appealing to the community that your thread and plane choices and are merely doing it a service. You're doing yourself a service on both counts.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2016, 02:29:25 PM »
Figured you would be in the thousands.  :)

Me? naaaahhhh, I was the Gutless Gastropod after all  :old:

Following the good AH tradition, my "club 1000+" is mainly made of late war cannon monsters, with just a few not particularly notable exceptions (109F4 109G2 P-51B)
My top rides in terms of total kills are the Tempest and the 262. You may now freely riducle me for that...   :noid

My only ENY 40 ride with a number of kills coming close to that was the Hurricane I at 803 total - but almost all of those were made long ago, before the redesign and when we had much more (coastal) furballs. In recent years with lower combat density, I found flying it (or similar planes) to be too frustrating to me...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 02:32:41 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2016, 08:36:27 AM »
Fixed.  To add to your considerable cerebral confusion, please look up inferred

I think you both should look up both "inferred" and "implied" - so that you might understand the difference.

Okay, the usage Nazi will go back to sleep now.

As for flying late war uber rides, I just don't do it. Indeed, the whole boom and zoom thing is no fun to me. Besides, my lead shots tend to suck and I like to turn. Poison if you're in all but the Temp (and I recently deleted an account with lots of unused perks)... the former ensures I'll be engaged in a fight, the latter ensures I cannot run it.

The upside: when I play, I get what I came for.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2016, 10:03:20 PM »
I think you both should look up both "inferred" and "implied" - so that you might understand the difference.

Okay, the usage Nazi will go back to sleep now.

You should go back to sleep.  Loosely, either could be used in this case. 
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2016, 06:32:50 AM »

Me? naaaahhhh, I was the Gutless Gastropod after all  :old:

Following the good AH tradition, my "club 1000+" is mainly made of late war cannon monsters, with just a few not particularly notable exceptions (109F4 109G2 P-51B)
My top rides in terms of total kills are the Tempest and the 262. You may now freely riducle me for that...   :noid

My only ENY 40 ride with a number of kills coming close to that was the Hurricane I at 803 total - but almost all of those were made long ago, before the redesign and when we had much more (coastal) furballs. In recent years with lower combat density, I found flying it (or similar planes) to be too frustrating to me...

EZ-Mode crutch flying hax picker!  :neener:

I must shamefully confess that the 262 comes in at 13th place on my list, with 736 kills.
But the Tempest is dead last with 100 kills (tied with F4U-1C).   :banana:

803 in the Hurri I is amazing, any way you slice it.   :cheers:

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2016, 11:54:29 AM »
You should go back to sleep.  Loosely, either could be used in this case.
No.

Infer: deduce or conclude
Imply: insinuate or suggest

They're about as opposite as can be. "Loose"? Would you use "big" to mean "small"?

I hear people use these two terms interchangeably all the time in meetings and you're all just as guilty. The only real defense you've got is that there are a lot of people sharing the error and that I seem to be the only one who gives a crap.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2016, 01:17:32 PM »
No.

They're about as opposite as can be. "Loose"? Would you use "big" to mean "small"?

I hear people use these two terms interchangeably all the time in meetings and you're all just as guilty. The only real defense you've got is that there are a lot of people sharing the error and that I seem to be the only one who gives a crap.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2016, 05:02:06 PM »
I suggest going to a real dictionary like http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/infer. Those  small time want to be dictionary sites always Come up way short.

Read the whole content. The use of infer is depedent on where it is used. If you are a student, you will fail mixing the two words.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2016, 12:39:33 AM »

I accept your source and conclusion as locally correct. However, https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/infer does not include item 4, suggesting to me that the loss of distinction between the two words is recent.

Indeed, I can cite more examples than this one http://grammar.about.com/od/words/a/implygloss.htm but this one makes the point quite clearly. That you have a source that accepts the dumbing down is indicative of the corrosive process by which (some) dictionaries follow common usage. As Shuffler also correctly notes, academics, indeed any mentally demanding work, drives us to sharpening, not dulling, distinctions. I knew this point would draw some ire -but just as these two words are being confused, people now also regularly say "I could care less" when they mean the exact opposite. Try searching on "imply and infer confused"... Every grammarian, Oxford included, says they are distinct, that little mcdictionary.com local notwithstanding

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2016, 07:33:12 AM »
You are all mistaken.

Infer: the reason for incarceration.

"What are you infer?"
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2016, 10:41:57 AM »
You are all mistaken.

Infer: the reason for incarceration.

"What are you infer?"

:rofl :aok
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2016, 12:18:52 PM »
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2016, 09:06:23 PM »
No.

Nice!!!  You've decided to use two word defs for words that actually need 9 words.  This time, use Google and ask them to use the words in sentences, lmao.

And I didn't use them interchangeably, lol.  Neither did he.  Just quit bro...they can't all be home runs hahaha
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2016, 09:01:40 AM »
Oh skill was inferred.  It may have been subconscious but it was inferred.  As Shida alluded, youre simply diluting it now. 

I stand by my point. You should've used implied.

google its use in a sentence? You mean like here: http://sentence.yourdictionary.com/infer (see the comment at the bottom, where the unwitting dude asks if he could've used the word "implied" instead).

Or, if you don't like that one, try Vocabulary.com, quote below, and using an analog with which you should be very familiar:

"CHOOSE YOUR WORDS  CAUGHT BETWEEN WORDS? MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE.
imply/infer
Imply and infer are opposites, like a throw and a catch. To imply is to hint at something, but to infer is to make an educated guess. The speaker does the implying, and the listener does the inferring.

To imply is to suggest something indirectly. If you hand your friend a stack of napkins during dinner, you imply that she needs them. Things can imply, too, like a chimney that implies a fireplace. Check out these examples:

By their very definition, flea markets imply cheap prices for used and unwanted items, as is still the case in most other places. (New York Times)
Stern also implied the entire season might be at risk. (Seattle Times)

It isn't fair to imply that cardiovascular disease is going away. (Nature)

Infer is on the receiving end of imply, yet infer is often used to mean imply. To infer is to gather, deduce, or figure out.Writers tend to know how to use infer correctly:

He talks about having led in the private sector but voters have to infer too much about what that means. (Slate)

They were also better at inferring feelings from images of just the eyes. (Scientific American)

Yet it must not be inferred that farming women are without mental ability or common sense. (Sidney Lewis Gulick)

Like baseball? Theodore Bernstein, in his classic The Careful Writer, gives us a way to keep imply and infer straight: "The implier is the pitcher; the inferrer is the catcher."

Rate this article:
4.5 (90 votes)"

You quit. Since when does a pitcher want to be confused with a catcher?

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 09:04:13 AM by PJ_Godzilla »