Author Topic: Activating VR Settings in AH3 -- (An interactive tutorial)  (Read 448 times)

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
Activating VR Settings in AH3 -- (An interactive tutorial)
« on: July 08, 2016, 07:39:19 PM »
HiTech has been steadily working to support VR for AH3 over the last few weeks/months.  I created this short interactive tutorial, which hopefully will walk totally NEW players through the process of activating AH 3's VR features, when they're new and barely know anything about the game.

WHY DO THIS? Two reasons:  First, I wanted to test the functionality of the online lesson/tutorial building platform that I used because of my professional work.  My verdict, if anyone cares: it seems like a very good platform for educators (they get it free, as I did) and for businesses (not free but reasonable) to create training presentations.  I built this tutorial (really a lesson) in very short order. The platform has many more features I didn't use.

The second reason is that I hope it helps add more players to find bugs and identify potential new VR features and ultimately to help HTC beat the competition from others in this game genre for VR players.  The small pool of current AH players who own VR headsets and can also beta test might still be small, so hopefully this will orient VR fans who are new and unfamiliar with Aces High to get up and flying the Beta using their VR gear.  This community can invite others to try AH's VR support simply by pointing VR fans to this tutorial by sharing the link, because it answers just very basic questions and then invites new folks to visit HTC's site and the beta forum for more in-depth help.  I realize VR features are still fluid, but maybe this will  help generate interest from new players and help gain traction in the VR space. 

Here is the link, PLEASE SHARE IT with VR fans you might know (if it's useful): https://versal.com/c/qwnuzc/how-to-activate-vr-settings-in-aces-high-3

Brief revision of the tutorial required a new link.  It should work again.  Sorry if you tried it and the link was down.

FWIW,
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 08:09:35 PM by Wraith_TMS »
o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Re: Activating VR Settings in AH3 -- (An interactive tutorial)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 08:42:22 PM »
That's great work, I'm really impressed with that - clean, keep it simple, accurate directions, with accompanying videos.  Nice sidebar directory on the left etc.  One thing I would ask you add is a bit about launching the VR unit of choice at the beginning, prior to launching AH, even though it seems obvious.  Having the exact method of launching the VR unit, and especially any settings needed in it, ie the newer pixel density edit settings for the Vive to make gauges readable in other games like DCS, I assume this could possibly apply to AH3 as well maybe - assumption, but it does make everything look better overall in other games, so bringing this up in your instructions would add a bit more details. 

Excellent work, that's the only positive input I have, as there isn't any negatives here IMO. 

This type of learning method/site wouldn't be a bad idea to mimick for a complete guide to playing AH3 for new players - all the other majors like Star Citizen, Elite, and so on have a similar thing going.  I think VR could bring in a lot of new blood here, and having a one stop shop for learning done like this would be a home wrong.

Again, well done.

So much potential with the controllers as well - I can envision driving a tank with the HOTAS, and then picking up a Vive controller and using it as the machine gun or turret controls, main gun controls, etc.  Or, in bombers, having a controller in each hand to simulate the handles of the .50 cal weapons, or turret controls in the dual/quad mounted stations.  So much potential on top of the visual stuff.  I can't wait to get main and try this out.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 08:45:58 PM by Gman »

Offline Tomkat

• Zinc Member
      • Marine Air Wing
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 09:07:22 PM »
After about 5 years away from AH, I can't wait to dive back in! thanks for the info

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 10:35:02 PM »
For me, Versal requires an account and sign-in. Maybe next time. :salute
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 12:25:53 PM »
It did for me too Escor, took about 15 seconds.

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 02:57:03 PM »
Gman and TomKat, thanks for great suggestions and comments.  I've duplicated the course and added/changed some wording to acknowledge some of what Gman suggested for a future version of it.  I don't want to add too much to it though, as it is really intended for folks that might not be completely new to VR, but really are new to Aces High and may not even know about the Clipboard or where to find VR settings in the game. 

Regarding Versal's sign in:  The tutorial is absolutely FREE and available to anyone who has the link. No payment information is required or collected when registering with Versal.  Alternately, if you already have a Google email account, you can use that Google account to access the tutorial instead of registering with Versal.  Sign ins to Versal, by whatever method, are necessary though, because it is an e-learning authoring platform and hosting service.  It is also able to deliver quizzes and tests, track those results and grades for certain academic uses (don't worry, there's none of that in my little tutorial), therefore registering to use Versal's site is necessary. Again, it's free to use if you just want to view the tutorial.  Hope that helps anyone who might have qualms about  E

Eventually, one of the folks from the AH Trainer corps will probably write a training article on VR and put it on the Trainers' site.  Until that happens though, maybe this will help new folks or those that don't know how to get VR going in the Beta--let's face, AH can intimidate new people and VR is so new to most of us that it's like performing "rocket surgery."  ;)

FWIW,
o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 02:00:05 PM »
Since Versal's sign-in requirement to view lessons seems to discourage some people from viewing the tutorial, I've been trying to find a workaround, and I think I found it.  (Seems a simple fix too.)  Here's the revised link:

https://versal.com/learn/qwnuzc?embed=true

Can someone please try this link and reply letting us know if you were able to see the tutorial without signing in to Versal first?  If you get the sign-in request; please let me know.  It worked for me but I'd like to be sure.  Thanks in advance.  :salute

FWIW,
o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers