Author Topic: NVMe SSD Install on Windows 7  (Read 9212 times)

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
Re: NVMe SSD Install on Windows 7
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2016, 06:37:36 PM »
do not over do the benchmarks. They will cause undo wear and tear on your ssd's.
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2016, 08:59:11 PM »
do not over do the benchmarks. They will cause undo wear and tear on your ssd's.

No problem as I know not to repeatedly run these SSD benchmark softwares.....just posting that the NVMe controller is learning the M.2 pathway and optimizing itself across it within the limitations.............

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2016, 08:10:07 PM »
Update:

It's gonna be a happy day in Pudgieland...................

:x :D

Got home today after work and the wife informed me that I had a package come in..........guess what it was?

The Angelbird Wings PX1 PCI-E to M.2 adapter w\ heat sink!!!!!
Came in a day early than expected....................
So I pulled my box, opened her up, pulled the Fury X and pulled the Sammy 950 Pro out the onboard M.2 slot and installed it on the Wings PX1 card. This adapter is a well built piece of kit and wasn't as thick as I was expecting (only about 7.5mm, was expecting to be around 9.5mm to 10mm). I put both thermal pads on the Sammy then put the heatsink back on the riser card.

The heat sink has air intake slots along the top edge and exhausts out the rear of the case....just right in line w\ my side mounted 120mm case fan blowing air on it so my Sammy should stay cool.

Put her in the 2nd PCI-E x16 slot beside my Fury X and buttoned all up and fired the box up and went in the UEFI to see how the Samsung SSD would be recognized....nothing changed (as it shouldn't have due to this card being a full pass-thru design). Exited out UEFI to start up into Windows and that's where the happy times started.....

Windows booted up in a HURRY. Checked the Sammy thru Samsung Magician software and she's at full speed now (link speed @ 8 Gbps, link @ x4 & Bandwidth @ 32 Gbps). 1st pass thru Magician came in at 2231 MB\s reads, 1453 MB\s writes!

Yeah I'm gonna be in love for a while.....................

Checked her out thru the side case window.....looks like the mountain scene in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" in my Storm Scout case's black background...........would look even better if the LED's were red.......................... .

I feel good now!

:D

Gonna let her burn in for a while and enjoy the performance!

Yep ole Pudgie has finally arrived..................

:cheers: :rock :aok :D

Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2016, 10:12:15 PM »
congrats

when ur ready I'd luv to see an ATTO
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2016, 12:05:30 AM »
1st ATTO run...................

The very noticeable improvements in latency speed is worth the effort as everything is much snappier in performance.
I think I'm set for a while now.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 02:10:49 AM by Pudgie »

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2016, 09:45:42 AM »
now ur cooking

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2016, 02:13:32 PM »
I think we are still about two years out from these being mainstream and hitting their stride on consumer PCs (motherboards), but at least we have some nice toys to play with.

I bet Pudgie feels a little like the only kid in the neighborhood with a pool. hehe
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2016, 02:37:13 PM »
I think we are still about two years out from these being mainstream and hitting their stride on consumer PCs (motherboards), but at least we have some nice toys to play with.

I bet Pudgie feels a little like the only kid in the neighborhood with a pool. hehe

Chalenge, if you knew the full back drop of the part of the country where I live you would know just how close you were to the truth of your post......................... ..

And right now I'm loving every minute of it.................!

:x  :D

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2016, 10:34:51 AM »
Update:

All is looking good.
The more time on the smoother the SSD's performance gets so I'm a happy camper....................... .

Until I got another idea going in my head............
I do have an empty M.2 slot on my mobo that is 2x faster than the SATA ports......sooooo...........

I'm thinking bout getting me 1 of these to run it in the M.2 slot:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA12K3G96790

This is the AHCI version which it's onboard controller should better align itself in this AHCI mode M.2 slot on my mobo.

Now I know the M.2 slot will gimp this SSD some as well as this SSD's controller is PCI-E 3.0 compatible and since it's using a M key layout I'm thinking it's x4 lanes as well but I don't think this SSD is gonna get clipped as much in the M.2 slot as did my Sammy 950 Pro NVMe SSD as my mobo M.2 slot will be running AHCI mode @ PCI-E 2.0 x2 @ 10Gbps so the cut IMHO should be about 1\2 the rated speeds (from 2150MB\s reads to 1000MB\s reads, 1500MB\s writes to 700MB\s writes).
Then once I get it all set up I'm gonna move my page file to this SSD to speed up the OS page out performance even more over the Sammy 850 Pro SATAIII SSD that I'm currently using for this then let TRIM have the rest of it for overprovisioning purposes.
Then I'll run a secure erase on the Sammy 850 Pro SATAIII SSD that I was using for paging duty to refresh it then use it for increased storage.....between the 4 of them I will have around 1.2T of available storage space if deemed needed.

Once this is done then I will have Frankenstein'd this box to my full satisfaction w\ only 1 item left to "upgrade"......................

:D  :rock

Intel I7 6850K Broadwell-E CPU (mainly for core clock speeds, power efficiency due to the node change, Turbo Cache 3.0, improved onboard subsystem mem\DMA controller performance........hopefully at a lower price as well)..................

I'm gonna wait on finishing this part for a while though to see what the future will bring before I move on it.

:cheers:

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2016, 11:21:37 PM »
If your intended purpose is for page file usage, you might be burning bucks for nada.
I own like 8 Vertex SSD's, there all old. Anyways I use 1 of them for the pagefile.  SATA 2 port and drive. You cannot tell a diff perf wise.. I do it for OS's SSD longevity, stops some of the constant read/writes. I would not burn a NMVe drive or its AHCI cousin for that because of shorter life span of SSD's. But I would use an older SSD in a SATA port for same....
Just my opinion.

I'd look into what superfetch, prefetch do to your new toy. These items are superfluous now. he he.
I quit worrying about storage when I got the MyBooklive. Less parts better performance, less juice, less heat. My beasty is for driving, lean and mean.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 11:47:16 PM by MADe »

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2016, 06:53:08 PM »
Hi MADe,

I do this for much of the very same reasoning that you've laid out in your post.........and have been doing this for quite some time (even back in my HDD usage days).
But the other reasoning for getting an AHCI PCI-E SSD to use on the M.2 slot is for performance reasons as well.

Since paging is still being used w\ games today (AH is 1 of them) all I'm doing is using my SSD's in a method to mitigate the performance issues that paging can create while running games (freezing while page outs occur) by taking full advantage of their latency & transfer speeds while at the same time setting up 1 SSD to be used as a sacrificial lamb to absorb the brunt of the abuse from Prefetch, SuperFetch and paging (all to speed up HDD usage due to the liabilities of a disk platter and floating reader head in a HDD....Prefetch and SuperFetch will cause a lot more preemptive READS to occur from my boot NVMe SSD to system mem but ALL page out WRITES to disk...which do by FAR the most damage to a SSD...from system mem will go to the SSD that I have placed the PAGING FILE on....not to my boot NVMe SSD. The NVMe SSD will only be written to most is when you shut the computer down as all resident data in system mem is written back to the boot drive before power down to preserve the data. Then use a large enough SSD w\ the paging file on it to allow TRIM plenty sector acreage to easily do the garbage collection and provisioning duties on it) to reduce the cost of replacement. Games do put a pretty good load on a computer's components and IMHO a lot of untapped gaming performance is found in optimizing a computer's subsystem performance capabilities......not just the components themselves. Now if the adage of price\performance ratio is applied then this stuff doesn't look as appealing........not because it is WRONG, it is simply due that for the cost incurred to achieve it is it worth the investment vs what you can have now w\o the extra cost to get the extra performance...no matter how large OR small the improvement?

I wager that this question can only be truthfully answered by the INDIVIDUAL users themselves, NOT the tech sites or reviews alone as from their testing they can give really good objective info OR they can also give influenced and sometimes biased opinions based on the individual's POV concerning the subject\component at hand. So in the end it is up to the individual to decide and then accept the consequences of the decision made whether good or bad, right or wrong, perceived or real.

So since I AM a pronounced computer geek and have been blessed to be able to enjoy this hobby of mine I do tend to seek out all possibilities of computer performance capability and am willing to put some funds on the line to find out what I want to know for myself.

So since I now have an unused M.2 slot using 2 PCI-E 2.0 lanes thru the X99 chipset that are KNOWN to be faster that the SATA lanes (10Gbps vs 600Mbps) thru it so I should be able to insert an AHCI PCI-E SSD in this slot & use it to do the dirty work of taking the paging writes which should improve the speed of this process mainly by lowering the LATENCY speed of initiating the process even more vs using a SATAIII SSD while improving the actual DATA TRANSFER RATES from system mem to the AHCI PCI-E SSD vs a SATAIII SSD to effectively REDUCE the OVERALL impact of paging on the performance of Aces High (or any other game\software that will use a paging file) even more on my box while at the same time PROTECTING the NVMe PCI-E SSD from all this to prolong its useful service life (what I am currently doing w\ 1 of the SATAIII SSD's in my box and have validated this usage of SSD's for myself over the last 4 yrs). 1 thing that you have done w\ SSD's that I haven't done is to use them in a RAID array. But this is just 1 aspect of real world optimization of my computer's subsystem along w\ it's components to deliver more overall system performance from it utilizing the existing technology at hand today so this isn't pie-in-the-sky thinking or usage. It's real and is available to be had. The performance gains may end up either 1.) being so small that I can't detect it by the means that I may be using to measure this OR 2.) undetectable by the means that I may be using to measure this.....BUT that doesn't PROVE this process to be WRONG. All known DATA says that the results should be tangible (real). I'm gonna attempt to find that out for myself. The process I KNOW is real and does work but I also know that there is a point in all this where the results will become ILLOGICAL from a technical standpoint as well as at that point it won't really matter.

Heck I may already BE at that point AFAIK................

What I didn't say or have contended is that this is PRACTICAL from a price\performance ratio standpoint.....in reality using current performance metrics along w\ the costs to achieve what I'm doing, this would be considered a POOR, UNNECESSARY CHOICE from a TYPICAL CONSUMER's usage standpoint to run games\software on a computer....and I myself would wholeheartedly AGREE w\ that and also would not attempt to PERSUADE anyone to DO what I do. I just post to provide the info of what I do and the results of what I have done so all can then read and DECIDE on their OWN what THEY want to do w\ it as we're all GEEKS who regularly visit and especially post in here so the info is IMHO relative to the discussion in general.............

I'm not the typical computer consumer...................  :D

But to demonstrate that I DO look at the cost side as well while I'm in my "creative element" I've NOT cancelled doing this but I HAVE changed from using the 256Gb model of the Samsung SM951 to the 128Gb model for costs consideration.............sav ed myself $75.00 in the process.....also real money......

The SSD should be here sometime this week................ I'll post back to let ya know how it goes..............

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 06:58:27 PM by Pudgie »

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2016, 08:00:55 PM »
moar power to m8.

playing is half the fun. the other half is when the playing pays off and it works?
walking the path is good, getting candy at the end is sweet...........

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2016, 09:10:15 PM »
moar power to m8.

playing is half the fun. the other half is when the playing pays off and it works?
walking the path is good, getting candy at the end is sweet...........

That's what it's ALL ABOUT!!!

Right On brother!

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2016, 09:37:39 PM »
I think the only thing I did was disable the hibernate function, but it's your money.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2016, 12:14:42 AM »
I think the only thing I did was disable the hibernate function, but it's your money.

Yeah, I've never used this function on any computer that I've ever built or bought as I've always believed that it was better off in the long run to just shut down my boxes when not being used or not gonna be sitting at them rather than allowing them to go into a low power state, even though to use this is 1 way to alleviate a few writes to a boot SSD drive by holding data in system mem when not in use..........