Author Topic: What does everone think of the name war online?  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
Re: What does everone think of the name war online?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 02:43:46 PM »
at this point I imagine if WarOnline is available through a domain name search that might be it, I imagine the list of WW2 style domain names is staggering

Wings, Planes, WW2, War, Combat, Aces, how about ....Air Warrior, j/k (looks both ways slams and locks the door)
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2016, 02:44:50 PM »
I'd say you gotta test it with whatever demographic your going to target for marketing. For me it has no appeal but the fact is I found the game by directly searching for WW2 online air combat or some such search and AH could have been called Wombat VS Chicken and it would have made no difference. Waronline sounds to me like Drudgeryonline, (I am not being snide I am just telling you honestly how I react to the name.)

If you feel like the game name is boxing it in, (Aces High is a strange name for a tank or naval game after all,) I'd say you have a dilemma. On the one hand "Play Aces High at Waronline" confuses me, is Aces High just one of several games? Can I play Aces High somewhere else? and the on the other hand if you expand the equipment and strategies away from the flight centric the name Aces High does become increasingly obscure.

Frankly I don't think it matters too much, IL2 lived and died without regard to its rather specific and uninformative name. War Thunder sounds like bloviation but is successful, Rise of Flight could be an anime. Warbirds was probably the most succinct name and they aren't their anymore.

Also somethingONLINE sounds a little dated even to my older ears. Increasingly there is no such thing as offline, what is the age cutoff for recognizing a modem handshake squawk?

Pies not kicks.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2016, 02:47:33 PM »
Pembquist about nailed how I feel about it.  What he said.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2016, 02:57:11 PM »
If you feel like the game name is boxing it in, (Aces High is a strange name for a tank or naval game after all,) I'd say you have a dilemma. On the one hand "Play Aces High at Waronline" confuses me, is Aces High just one of several games? Can I play Aces High somewhere else? and the on the other hand if you expand the equipment and strategies away from the flight centric the name Aces High does become increasingly obscure.

Also somethingONLINE sounds a little dated even to my older ears. Increasingly there is no such thing as offline, what is the age cutoff for recognizing a modem handshake squawk?

+1
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2016, 03:08:00 PM »
Anything that brings eyeballs to the game is good.  :aok

WartUnder.com  :devil

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2016, 03:08:46 PM »
I typed in "Flying Games" as the first search I ever did over 20 years ago on my first ever computer and the search results brought me to "Airwarrior".

I have no idea how much these sites cost but I say go for it Dale.  If it is ambiguous maybe even better.  Who knows what the searcher is looking for?  Maybe he is not even sure.  I know I was just looking for a game I could fly on my new computer.  I had no idea at the time I would actually be playing against human beings.

I know most folks are quite savvy compared to my retardation from back in the day, but they all are not.

"War Online" IS a good choice in my opinion.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2016, 03:09:23 PM »
Pembquist +1
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2016, 04:14:00 PM »
This was not a asking for new url ideas . Only a question about waronline.

Was thinking of Play Aces High at War Online type concept.

HiTech
+1
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2016, 04:14:18 PM »
Yep, +1 pembquist. I don't know how many even learn about the game this way anymore. But I heard about (air warrior at the time) by a co-worker, played that a little but not too much as I was a broke college kid the 2 or 3 bucks an hour at the time, cant remember exactly was rich for my blood. Then later again, word of mouth from the same guy.

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2016, 04:27:16 PM »
It really doesn't play well in my opinion. Doesn't role of the tongue and is vague, the term that is, when used with AH. Dunno though, can't think of much better, but including the era might help. Maybe "Fly Aces High, at combat online!" (or air combat online?) sounds a little clearer to me. Dunno...  :headscratch:

:salute
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2016, 04:28:35 PM »
+1
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Randall172

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2016, 04:30:54 PM »
This was not a asking for new url ideas . Only a question about waronline.

Was thinking of Play Aces High at War Online type concept.

HiTech

simple, concise, short, easy to remember. (someone types in google war game, and this should be one of the first results)

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2016, 04:37:33 PM »
Looks great!
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2016, 04:42:57 PM »

Sounds hard.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2016, 04:44:49 PM »
Pembquist's reply +1

Don't think I could say it better.

"Fly Aces High at Waronline.com" also gives me the impression that Waronline.com must have several titles available to play, one of which is Aces High.  Otherwise why the two names?  Normally I would just expect to fly Aces High at AcesHigh.com.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 04:48:00 PM by oboe »