Author Topic: New Set up Rules and points for this scenario - READ THEM  (Read 9319 times)

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Re: New Set up Rules and points for this scenario - READ THEM
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2016, 02:47:01 PM »
Maybe I am missing something, buuuttt.  If you kill a fighter, your team doesn't get a point, but it prevents a recovery bonus, so by that, you "are" getting points for hitting fighters in a round about sort of way...  If your team kills a hanger, or a bomber, you DO get points, so I am really not sure why people are upset with the scoring.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2016, 02:58:39 PM »
Maybe I am missing something, buuuttt.  If you kill a fighter, your team doesn't get a point, but it prevents a recovery bonus, so by that, you "are" getting points for hitting fighters in a round about sort of way...  If your team kills a hanger, or a bomber, you DO get points, so I am really not sure why people are upset with the scoring.

It places the value in escaping an engagement instead of winning it.

Furthermore, it discourages post T+60 action when the max landing bonus is had when RTBing from the primary mission.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2016, 03:00:20 PM »

Furthermore, it discourages post T+60 action when the max landing bonus is had when RTBing from the primary mission.

How?  If you deny them 2 points by killing 2 guys and landing, it affects the score the same amount of points as if you got a point for killing both of them.  The logic's just reversed.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2016, 04:02:17 PM »
How?  If you deny them 2 points by killing 2 guys and landing, it affects the score the same amount of points as if you got a point for killing both of them.  The logic's just reversed.

Wiley.
In individual combat it might not make a noticeable difference, but focus on my latter point to see the big picture.

The mission is done and all your surviving planes are now out of danger and ready to land. Any action after that will result in fewer points gained vs having all your planes land and tower out at that moment. The risk in points lost is far greater then the overall gain by launching a second sortie find more action.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2016, 05:23:05 PM »
In individual combat it might not make a noticeable difference, but focus on my latter point to see the big picture.

The mission is done and all your surviving planes are now out of danger and ready to land. Any action after that will result in fewer points gained vs having all your planes land and tower out at that moment. The risk in points lost is far greater then the overall gain by launching a second sortie find more action.

Again.  What is the difference?

Old system:
Second sortie time, I go out in my plane.  I manage to kill 2 enemy aircraft, and I return to land.  My side gets 2 points.  Net gain, 2 points for my side.

New system:
Second sortie time, I go out in my plane.  I manage to kill 2 enemy aircraft, and I return to land.  Their side loses 2 points.  Net gain, 2 points for my side.

Old system:
Second sortie time, I go out in my plane.  I screw up and get killed.  They get 1 point for the kill.  Net loss, 1 point for my side.

New system:
Second sortie time, I go out in my plane.  I screw up and get killed.  My side loses 1 point because I didn't RTB.  Net loss, 1 point for my side.

Where is the difference?  If I don't go out and kill under the old system, I don't gain points.  If I don't go out and kill under the new system, they don't lose the same number of points.

It works out the same.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2016, 05:57:40 PM »
One small difference.

old system:
I go out, engage no one and land safely, 0 points for my side.

new system:
I go out, engage no one and land safely, 1 point for my side.

Without commenting on which is better or worse there is this small difference.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2016, 09:58:24 PM »

It places "A" value on landing. But there is still a value to killing. Still sounds like killing stuff is good. <shrug> Outrage unfounded.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2016, 04:40:58 PM »
IMHO, this event highlighted the difficulty of crafting an "even-ish" fight with the current mid-war PTO plane set while preserving an historical flavor. The experience for JG11 was pretty uniformly one of facing an overwhelming number of fast, tough planes while flying a relatively slow, fragile plane.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline KCDitto

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2016, 08:17:33 PM »
12 A6M3s running into 30 P-38s at alt.........

On the good side, I got to go out to eat dinner with my wife as I was done early... On that bad side she may start to like that on Friday nights............   :x

I don't mind a challenge, but from my IJN view the set up SUCKED ASS
Ditto  "WHITE 11"
"Masters of the Air" Scenario -JG54

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2016, 10:48:15 PM »

I don't mind a challenge, but from my IJN view the set up SUCKED ASS

This
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2016, 09:36:47 AM »
My initial assessment hold true

Another set up like that and I am through here.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2016, 10:29:50 AM »
I have to wonder why the CMs would allow a set up like this? One of the worst I have seen in all my FSOs. Plane set,scoring rules,unlimited Allied fighters ect.   :headscratch:

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2016, 11:14:34 AM »
My initial assessment hold true

Another set up like that and I am through here.

It wasn't hard to see the writing on the wall...we all knew what was going to happen...and like normal...its "oh you axis guys need to just toughen up...we know you can do it...you have XXXX advantage...you have this, you have that..."

I have been trying to get out of FSO for 4 months now...but I am outvoted...but after asking for Nikis for 3 frames with the best niki pilot in the game on my roster...I have an extra vote for leaving FSO...
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2016, 11:37:15 AM »
The setup might have worked had the side split been 50/50, but not with a 30 man advantage for the Allies.

And the argument that the Allies need the extra fighters to adequately protect the bombers is bunk. The Allies could match their fighters almost plane for plane against the Axis. (this also holds true for last month's BoB setup where the Axis could match the Allies fighter for fighter with the some result - easy wins for the side with the manpower advantage)

While adding the N1K to the Axis was a great idea to help the plane balance, it was negated by adding the 110C - which had a Kill to loss ratio of 10:27 (6 of those kills are between 2 pilots) in 35 total planes.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 11:42:06 AM by Devil 505 »
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Bannor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2016, 11:54:08 AM »
I thought the Axis did a pretty good job. Every time I engaged I felt like I was being swarmed by the IJN. Not sure what your numbers were as far as filling out the squad min/max. But ya gave a good fight imho. I hope to see all y'all next scenario. <<S>>
Destiny brought you here, now FATE will deal with your six!

Damn, we're in a tight spot!