Author Topic: Trees and Cannon fire  (Read 435 times)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Trees and Cannon fire
« on: September 19, 2016, 11:54:45 PM »
Is there an aura around the trees and their parts? Strafing fires through the trees, bombs explode after passing the trees. 88mm or any of them don't. :bhead

Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
Re: Trees and Cannon fire
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 05:43:40 AM »
This has been discussed many times. Imagine there is a transparent box around the tree.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 10:40:09 AM »
This has been discussed many times. Imagine there is a transparent box around the tree.

It has been mentioned but has there been a response from Skuzzy or hitech? This is something that needs to be fixed. How big is the transparent box around the tree? I fired over a palm tree at a tank on the hill. I'm guessing my round cleared the top of the tree by several feet but it exploded over the tree. It's kind of hard to deal with invisible boxes you can't shoot through. Also, its not consistent. I killed a tank that was almost completely buried in a clump of trees. There seemed to be no invisible box. So now, whenever there is a tree anywhere near my line of fire I never know if I really have shot or not.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 10:52:24 AM »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 10:58:31 AM »
I really think that everything will work out in the end. With anything new like this it takes time to iron out the creases.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 11:31:36 AM »
Try reading through this thread some. http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,380958.120.html

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks,

I recall that thread and the picture you posted makes some sense. However, what I've experienced would be as if the red lines were drawn 2-4 feet out beyond the tips of any of the  tree. On the other hand, I've gotten kills by firing between branches within the red lines. Guess I should be glad for those. I suspect Chalenge is right. I just need to be more patient.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 11:34:26 AM »
Thanks,

I recall that thread and the picture you posted makes some sense. However, what I've experienced would be as if the red lines were drawn 2-4 feet out beyond the tips of any of the  tree. On the other hand, I've gotten kills by firing between branches within the red lines. Guess I should be glad for those. I suspect Chalenge is right. I just need to be more patient.

I think its more of a luck of the draw type thing right now. I'm sure it will be fixed in time.

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 11:56:26 AM »
It seems kind of the reverse of being inside a building with the walls invisible and able to fire out.  Aircraft can hit you thru the leaves as well as auto ack, but you cannot get a shot back in.  It goes for MG also .50s and .30 stop at the leaves, if you see leaves flying from bullet hits even a clear shot at tank treads below the tree, no hit sprites or tracers get past the leaves.
Ground Pounders ...

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 01:42:42 PM »
A good solution, if it is possible, would be to shrink the diameter of the hit elipsoid (the red lines in the image above).  After all, the outside branches of virtually all trees are very thin and wouldn't stop shells.  It's only as you get closer to the central trunk that branches get substantial.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 01:46:03 PM »
There is not a "Hit elipsoid" The thing displayed is simply for the object editor. Trees polyies are collided like any other object but do to the bill boarding things are not so simple.

HiTech

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 01:53:54 PM »
Ah.. OK.  I guess I jumped to conclusions as to what that image was showing.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 07:47:57 PM »
There is not a "Hit elipsoid" The thing displayed is simply for the object editor. Trees polyies are collided like any other object but do to the bill boarding things are not so simple.

HiTech

Does that mean there is no work around, or just something that will take some time to work out?
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76