Author Topic: Changes to WEP/Rearm behavior  (Read 5641 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: Changes to WEP/Rearm behavior
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2016, 11:25:20 PM »
The planes I've played with offline (A-20, Bf 109G-2, FW 190A-5) all have wep that can be used again after engine cools off.

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2016, 11:38:49 PM »
The B25 has a reusable WEP as well IIRC. I just didn't know a change had been made to where some planes have a limited WEP. I mean it makes sense if they're burning extra water and fuel that once it's gone that's it.

What I would love is a list of planes that have reusable WEP, a list with limited cycle, and what the times are on it.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline mutha

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2016, 10:37:18 PM »

What I would love is a list of planes that have reusable WEP, a list with limited cycle, and what the times are on it.

Made a request on wishlist.

Mutha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 10:05:47 AM »
For those aircraft whose WEP use was limited by operating instructions/temperatures, you *could* remove the WEP time limitation and instead simulate failure due to high temps, etc.  This would have two drawbacks, however.

1 - you would have to initiate some random failure mechanism to simulate this.  Engines weren't guaranteed to fail after exceeding their listed limitations for 10 seconds...
2 - the restrictions on cylinder temps, etc., weren't only or even primarily about preventing immediate failure, but also about engine lifetime, etc.  Using WEP too much today (or today, yesterday, and last Tuesday) might instead result in poorer engine performance tomorrow, or even engine failure while in cruise next Wednesday.  This cannot really be simulated, especially since a most simulated aircraft don't actually manage to last even 5 hours in the air before being destroyed in the main arena (even the 262's famously short lived engines aren't a factor in this).  As a result you would likely have to lump the consequences back into the failure rate in #1, resulting in an unrealistically high chance of immediate failure - after all, since WE don't have to make it home or risk death or long term imprisonment, a small or even moderate chance of engine failure to get just one more kill wouldn't be much of a deterrent.

This points out one of the major differences between a simulator and actual combat - operational constraints (manpower, maintenance and supply requirements, etc) are almost entirely absent.

Mike

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 11:20:03 AM »
IMHO if we shut off our engine during re-arm the WEP should get recharged.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 11:23:08 AM by Drane »
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2016, 12:20:42 PM »
For those aircraft whose WEP use was limited by operating instructions/temperatures, you *could* remove the WEP time limitation and instead simulate failure due to high temps, etc.  This would have two drawbacks, however.

The Merlin 66 was placed on a stand and run at what we would call WEP for 200 hours. The only damage was micro fractures in some of the bearing races. An R2800 was run at WEP for 8 hours, spark plugs changed and placed into a P47 used in extensive testing for the rest of the 110hour life of that engine. Military engines are expected to run like this because combat will probably require it. Engine running restrictions were there mostly to help get 100 or so hours out of it before it had to be replaced.

If running engines on WEP past the 5-7 minute warning from the manual destroyed engines, WW2 in the air would have been far more dangerous for pilots from their engine than the enemy guns. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2016, 11:01:56 AM »
In another thread, HiTech mentioned a change in WEP behavior as a fix to a global bug.

In AH2, WEP was fully restored at rearm. Specifically in the P-51, the engine "cooled down" to make WEP available.

Can anyone explain how WEP is depleted and restored during rearm in AH3?

Thanks!

Mutha

Can you point me to that thread please?  I need to quote it but can't find it via search for some reason.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2016, 11:18:30 AM »
Certain planes will recharge WEP, certain ones wont.

Some also recharge faster than others.

Some last longer than others.

There was a chart somewhere.  I will look for it after work if its not posted already.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2016, 11:35:31 AM »
Thanks. 

I have searched all over for Hitech's explanation. It isn't coming up in my searches. 

He said that infinite recharging was an error in AH2 that was "fixed" in AH3.  Still not a fan of what he did to the Pony.  Oh well.
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2016, 11:40:29 AM »
Thanks. 

I have searched all over for Hitech's explanation. It isn't coming up in my searches. 

He said that infinite recharging was an error in AH2 that was "fixed" in AH3.  Still not a fan of what he did to the Pony.  Oh well.

There are two separate quotes from hitech in the first page of this thread. Read through it, click on the hyperlink where it says the quote is from hitech, and it'll bring you to the thread.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2016, 01:14:22 PM »
AH wiki posts wep times and recharge times,what it doesnt have is total time limitations! I would like to see the time limitations put up on the wiki.

:salute

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2016, 01:59:02 PM »
What would be good is what Puller said. Post a sheet where we can see the time that each planes have. i.e Spit9-5 minutes, p-47d-11- 7 minutes......so on so forth.....I think it would be helper so players would know and average the time they will be out of WEP so they can turn it off and recharge it...
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2016, 02:44:20 PM »
What would be good is what Puller said. Post a sheet where we can see the time that each planes have. i.e Spit9-5 minutes, p-47d-11- 7 minutes......so on so forth.....I think it would be helper so players would know and average the time they will be out of WEP so they can turn it off and recharge it...

Better yet....add it to the hanger info when you select load out.

Other sim we implemented a WEP "damage" feature...where you could push past the "temp" limit and induce engine damage (loss of thrust was easiest way to implement it). It was a variable thrust loss, so could be just a little damage or a good bit.  If you kept heating the engine up with WEP on...it would add to the damage.  Engine "knocking" noise was implemented to let you know you had damaged the engine....

Was a nice "feature", but took some getting used to as guys would push it too far...and end up limping home. 

But if your choice was to die to bullets, or damage the engine....it was the engine everytime:)

Dobs
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2016, 03:54:59 PM »
There are two separate quotes from hitech in the first page of this thread. Read through it, click on the hyperlink where it says the quote is from hitech, and it'll bring you to the thread.

Found it.  Thanks for the heads up.

Why didn't it show when I searched for it?

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,381703.msg5082736.html#msg5082736
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2016, 04:00:25 PM »

Why didn't it show when I searched for it?

Prolly user error. I searched for wep cycle by hitech within the past 100 days and it pulled up the thread.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35