Author Topic: UAE HSV 2 Swift destroyed by Yemeni rebels  (Read 2292 times)

Offline jollyFE

• Nickel Member
Re: UAE HSV 2 Swift destroyed by Yemeni rebels
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2016, 08:24:49 AM »
C-802
Every time a Nit vulches,  an angel get it's wings.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2016, 09:07:04 AM »
I don't think that's going to buff out easily.  Will probably be sold for scrap.

"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 10:42:09 AM »
"Russia launches massive nuclear war training exercise with '40 million people'

https://www.google.com/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russia-nuclear-weapon-training-attack-radiation-moscow-vladimir-putin-a7345461.html%3famp

"Russia orders all officials to fly home any relatives living abroad, as tensions mount over the prospect of a global war"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3833941/Russia-orders-officials-fly-home-relatives-living-abroad-tensions-mount-prospect-global-war.html
  :noid :bolt:

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 10:46:28 AM »
Is it that time again?

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2016, 07:06:21 PM »
Are they still claiming no casualties?

It sure looks like the bridge burned.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 12:58:57 PM »
Bringing this up again:  Saudi Al Madinah-class frigate was hit by ASM outside Yemen today, damage unknown but likely severe:
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 04:48:35 PM »
Bringing this up again:  Saudi Al Madinah-class frigate was hit by ASM outside Yemen today, damage unknown but likely severe:

...that's going to leave a mark. If not sink the ship. Jebus... and the Al Madinah's just completed a huge tech and defensive systems upgrade a little while ago too.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 05:02:36 PM »
Anti ship missiles, get the job done!

I wonder what the cost per shot is? Somebody is making lots of money.

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2017, 10:07:52 PM »
They have $$, i've just read this story, the Saudi Prince buys tickets for 80 Hawks on passengers  flight; :airplane:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4174024/80-hawks-pictured-flown-jet-Saudi-Prince.html

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 10:11:10 PM by ghi »

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2017, 10:34:01 PM »
Hah, great link Ghi, I can't believe that picture.  They love their falcons and predator birds, but I had no idea they could have their own passports, and could fly in bulk like that.  Crazy world.

Regarding the Frigate hit, obviously the guys filming the event are part of the group responsible for launching the missile, they were waiting for it to hit, and in close visual range, I don't think it's likely somebody happened to be within a couple/few thousand yards of a warship and filming just by coincidence.

The missile when I paused and looked closely appears to detonate close aboard, it may be that the defenses got it very, very close, or maybe it's just the angle, and it hit high and the explosion blew out and up more.  Anyway, it didn't look like any major superstructure was blown off, smoking yes, but it was performing a turn and still afloat in the last few seconds of the video, and wasn't burning all that badly (yet perhaps, fire is the major cause of destruction of warships not hit by torpedoes I've read many times).  I don't believe that it's been destroyed until I hear the Saudis confirm it, especially based on the video so far.  After just watching a old 2 part 3 hour series on the Falklands over the holidays, many of the Brit frigs and destroyers hit took quite a while to eventually sink or burn up too though.

In any case, anti ship missiles are obviously pretty effective still, even the subsonic "cheap" ones out there.  Makes me wonder how well modern ships will perform defending against the mach3 and even mach5 low altitude.  Much smarter anti ship missiles, like the Yakhont and Brahmos ramjet weapons, and the Club too which really screws up intercept solutions going from subsonic to mach3 or 4 on the deck in the terminal phase. 

edit - Saudi is saying that it was a suicide boat that rammed the ship, that fits a lot more with the explosion than what a typical AS missile hit looks like from all the vids online of them.  I do wonder why both boats, if there were two, the one filming and the one that supposedly rammed, were allowed so close.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 10:46:13 PM by Gman »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2017, 12:54:02 AM »

There's some doubt that it was an ASM that hit the frigate.  The Saudis claim it was small boats packed with explosives that rammed the ship and the video from the rebels show evidence of editing.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 01:42:26 AM »
A lot is still unclear but the rebels obviously have the capability to hit ships with ASM so i would not dismiss the claims right away.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2017, 05:11:38 AM »
Seems to me, if it was a motorboat loaded with HE, the blast would have been lower on the water. There would be much more water blasted into the air as well, more like a torpedo!

This looks too high in the air, for a surface detonation. The angle makes it hard to determine if it was a direct hit, or detonated short of the target. Seems like it came up short tho, due to the apparent lack of major damage. I didn't hear the BRRRRRRRP of a CIWS tho either!

The damage pics I have seen of genuine Exocet ASM direct hits, show a BIG HOLE in the ships structure. The film I have seen of Harpoon testing, blows a hole clean thru a corvette, and the missile was clearly visible. But then this looks like crappy cell phone vid too.

Interesting!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 05:18:34 AM by OldNitro »

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2017, 12:16:52 PM »
That class of ship has no CIWS, just 40 mm deck guns and a Crotale point defence missile system.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2017, 03:16:26 PM »
What is the red circle highlighting?

There is also no pre-impact Allah yelling, which you typically hear when a missile has been fired/in flight.